Has anyone ever painted the INSIDE of a fridge?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
Has anyone ever painted the INSIDE of a fridge??

I have a NASTY looking fridge and haven't even tried to see if it works but reading some threads on here I suppose I should at least TRY and get it to work as apparently it's a wanted Dometic 211 which is supposedly a GOOD fridge. so after the possibility of cleaning it (the thought is gagging me already) and then really CLEANING it again then washing it over with acetone has anyone ever PAINTED the INSIDE?? I think I can live with it if I can paint it. I know I can paint the needed areas of the outside. It just was obviously very VERY NEGLECTED and SUPER NASTY inside.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfn View Post
I have a NASTY looking fridge and haven't even tried to see if it works but reading some threads on here I suppose I should at least TRY and get it to work as apparently it's a wanted Dometic 211 which is supposedly a GOOD fridge. so after the possibility of cleaning it (the thought is gagging me already) and then really CLEANING it again then washing it over with acetone has anyone ever PAINTED the INSIDE?? I think I can live with it if I can paint it. I know I can paint the needed areas of the outside. It just was obviously very VERY NEGLECTED and SUPER NASTY inside.
If you get it clean and it still needs painted, consider using Fusion spray paint which is formulated to paint plastic without the need for primer. It works on lawn furniture...

Krylon: Products: Fusion for PlasticŪ
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, I wouldn't do it no matter how bad the stains. I can just imagine chips and flaking and now I'd end up with stains plus a mess I created. Stains are just that, it doesn't mean it's not clean. The interior of a frig takes a beating, especially when loaded and going down the road.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Try TSP to wash the inside. I find it hard to believe that it won't clean up.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #5

New Hampshire
Registry
what is TSP Tom?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
what is TSP Tom?
Trisodium phosphate. Buy it at a hardware store in the paint department.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'd think that I would find out if the fridge works before investing any time in cleaning/referbishing. As far as painting, most paints woud give up in short order in the conditions inside a ref. It's not just cold, it can get very wet as well. Plus there's the thrill of having your food taste like fresh paint.
BTW: Most of those inner panels are a plastic of some sort, acetone will melt most plastics.
I would opt for rubber gloves and a strong bleach solution for cleaning and disinfecting.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
50/50 Clorix and water and let it set for an hour then wash out. If it does not remove the stains, it will disinfected.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I agree with other's about painting the inside of a fridge. Paint won't stand up to use!

But, Soft Scrub should clean it up nicely! Apply with damp sponge, leave to sit and remove and rinse, you shouldn't have to scrub! And probably shouldn't scrub! Don't ues generic, use the real stuff. Soft Scrub!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #10

New Hampshire
Registry
ok thanks for the suggestions. I will try the soft scrub with bleach first and if that doesn't work I'll try the TSP. I guess I can deal with a little discoloration. it is from 1979 after all. I suppose if I know it's clean and it works I should just be happy I'll post pics.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
I suppose if I know it's clean and it works I should just be happy I'll post pics.

Clean and in working order are good............

Use a soft cloth with the Soft Scrub and rinse well, as you know soft scrub can be gritty....
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge