Has anyone had this problem? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #1

Name: Pernell
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Has anyone had this problem?

Our Casita has 4 or 5 of these spots....smooth when you run your hand over them. They are beneath the surface. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
3184D2B5-51D2-4D1C-84FB-F24E923779AC.jpg  
Pern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Might want to contact casita since no one has chimed in yet
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #3

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
What year is the Casita? Was it by chance exposed to any chemical?
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #4

Texas
2018, picked her up last February.

I noticed these spots on a trip over Christmas. It has sat under a Calmark cover when not in use. The only chemicals have been soap at the car wash and the one coat of marine meguiars marine wax. What is odd to me is you can see them, but if you run your hand over the spot you would never know. It looks like under the surface something is happening. I have wonder about heat from behind since the area of the spots is where the refrigerator is????

I have a ticket open with Casita, but thought I would gather information on my own if possible.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #5

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
So the surface is perfectly smooth? Is most of that surface discoloration? The one spot looks as though maybe some mold release or something got on the surface after the gel coat but before the main fiberglass spray application. That would suggest it was made that way, and you just noticed the imperfection.
Maybe a fiberglass expert will chime in. I'm sure someone at Casita has seen this kind of thing.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #6

Texas
Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Yes perfectly smooth....zero discoloration.

It was only our second trip, but I am puzzled how I missed it during a two journey this summer and after waxing it.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #7

Texas
I am not sure it matters, but you have to look straight on to see it and be fairly close. It certainly doesn’t jump out at you.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Call Casita as this looks like a debonding under the surface.
I don't know what you can do about it, However.
I might complain to see what they can do about it.
With a 2018 it should be in warranty.
I don't think that this just happened.
As a note the only "fix" would be to grind it down and fix the bonding, re-glass the area and paint. That being said I think that is the wrong thing to do as the gel coat finish is better and avoid painting for as long a possible.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Fixing it properly wouldn't require painting. It would use matching gelcoat.
See post #8 in this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...air-49364.html
Old 01-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #10

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Pern:

Go on eBay, look for automotive decals, buy one or more, nd put your favorite over the bad spot(s).

Only half-kidding.

Ideas above are very good. Best luck with it.

Kathleen
"K"
Attached Thumbnails
sac n fox oval border modified.jpg  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Has anyone had this problem?

This certainly appears to be a warranty issue with Casita. Looks to me like voids in the glass, which could collapse and create bigger problems eventually, but I’m no fiberglass expert.

You might have an auto or marine body shop that does fiberglass repair take a look. Their diagnosis would give you some leverage with Casita, and they might be able to contract with Casita to do a repair if needed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Its caused by osmosis, and it is referred to as "blistering." Usually it is more common on boats, but since fiberglass trailers are basically "land yachts", it's pretty much the same thing. You can read a bit about this condition here.
https://www.smithandcompany.org/GRP/GRP.html
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You are going to notice a lot of things about your own trailer that others will never see. Mainly because you're going to be up close and personal over every inch of it when you wash, wax and clean. Before long you'll notice dirt in tiny crevices and small chips caused by road rash. Unless it's structural or really drives you crazy, I'd say leave it alone (keep an eye on it), maybe let Casita know (so you're covered under warranty) and then decide what you want to do. Personally, I'd just go camping and know it's not the only thing that you'll notice or will happen over time. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #14

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pern View Post
2018, picked her up last February.

I noticed these spots on a trip over Christmas. It has sat under a Calmark cover when not in use. The only chemicals have been soap at the car wash and the one coat of marine meguiars marine wax. What is odd to me is you can see them, but if you run your hand over the spot you would never know. It looks like under the surface something is happening. I have wonder about heat from behind since the area of the spots is where the refrigerator is????

I have a ticket open with Casita, but thought I would gather information on my own if possible.
Maybe the cover had something on it that affected the fiberglass bonding. I've heard of covers causing problems. Your idea of heat could be correct also. I'd make sure to have Casita take care of it. When it is no longer under warranty you don't have any recourse necessarily. I'd get a 3rd party opinion from a fiberglass shop so you can talk to Casita with a lot of knowledge. Get something in writing as proof.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #15

Name: JJ
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
I worked in the Fiberglass boat industry years ago. These blisters typically resulted from insuffient resin applied to the mat or cloth or the resin not being fully rolled in causing a dry spot against the gel coat. We were able to repair and no one would know but you need to color match the gel coat. If a new trailer get the factory to repair. If a used trailer a good boat shop could repair.
JJ H is offline   Reply With Quote