Has anyone installed an awning rail on a 13"Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 75 Scamp 13 ft
Has anyone installed an awning rail on a 13"Scamp?

I'm hoping to make my own awning and install an awning rail on my 1975 13 foot Scamp. There are several types of awning rail available and I'm wondering if anyone has installed rails? Did you use butyl tape & rivets or something else?
Lydia W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Did it on our 13' Uhaul. Installed awning rail with rivets, sealer on the rivets, no butyl tape. Then put on a Shademaker bag awning. Wendy in NY did it with a Scamp 13, she can probably offer some advice.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, bob...I'm hoping Wendy will reply as well!
Old 09-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
3M VHB Tape has been used for "no holes" attachment. The rope edged awnings use a channel shaped rail. For a 13 ft. I would say you probably want just over/under 7 foot of rail depending on where mounted. General RV sells it as does vintage trailer online and others. Can be purchased as aluminum or as plastic. Me I would favor aluminum. The length makes shipping expensive, they have to provide a shipping tube to protect it which also adds to cost. So if comparing to local purchase make sure you get the delivered price for online as a compare.

I used the VHB tape (worth searching the site for that word) I suspect that people are split on VHB tape on its own, or with a few fasteners, or all fasteners and some sort of sealer like butyl tape. The search for VHB will probably have a decent number of threads discussing it.

I also attached a regular tarp via grommets and homemade slides based on this article Make your own Awning Track Hangers I figure one of these days I'll get a nice awning with pretty design, meanwhile a nice big tarp keeps the sun & rain off so I'm good to go.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

Very helpful information RogerDat...I'll check out the VHB Tape. I was looking at awning rail that needs to be mounted with screws or rivets. I'd rather NOT drill holes in the Scamp, so the 'no holes' attachment sounds great. I will also check out the "Make Your Own Awning Track Hangers link that you posted. Many Thanks!
Old 09-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Junior
Saskatchewan
Awning rail on Compact junior

Hi awning inquisitor! I installed a 4 ft awning rail on the entry of my Compact Junior. I used rivets with sealant on the back of the rail piece and the rivets. Then I sewed a plastic hose (1/4 ")inside my awning material to create a slide attachment to the u shaped track. We are very happy with it.
jish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #7

Thanks jish...there are so many possibilities! I appreciate all the tips & advice!
Old 09-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
For store bought awnings you have some choices: Marti's Awnings
Vintage Trailer Awnings I think Marti has the best selection of fabrics by far. Good prices with reports that the product is good quality.

Vintage Trailer Supply lists awnings and sells the track. Don't think they were the cheapest place on the awning but did have both awning and tracks. Seem to recall bought the track I used from them.
VintageTrailer Awnings
Track:
Awning Rail - 90 degree - 8 Foot

People also do the "bag awnings" which remain on the trailer in the track for storage, a bag zips around them and they just hang there as a tube. I just did a Google search so you could check them out. I know others have used them for FGRV awnings, and since poles and such store in with them on the outside that might be a plus. Can also purchase screen house to fit them, Have no knowledge of how well made or functional people find them, but certainly an idea worth checking on.
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...k1.zhkGod-rWlY

Camping world has a couple of videos, the second one shows the self storage aspect of bag awning. First shows the screen tent for the awning. And CW is pretty much available across this country. Ability to have them measure and order might be advantage for some. I'm not a huge fan but then they don't have a store near me so....

Dometic Trim Line Awnings - Dometic - RV Patio Awnings - Camping World
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
RogerDat what about the Awning in a Box like I had on my old Class B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
For store bought awnings you have some choices: Marti's Awnings
Vintage Trailer Awnings I think Marti has the best selection of fabrics by far. Good prices with reports that the product is good quality.

Vintage Trailer Supply lists awnings and sells the track. Don't think they were the cheapest place on the awning but did have both awning and tracks. Seem to recall bought the track I used from them.
VintageTrailer Awnings
Track:
Awning Rail - 90 degree - 8 Foot

People also do the "bag awnings" which remain on the trailer in the track for storage, a bag zips around them and they just hang there as a tube. I just did a Google search so you could check them out. I know others have used them for FGRV awnings, and since poles and such store in with them on the outside that might be a plus. Can also purchase screen house to fit them, Have no knowledge of how well made or functional people find them, but certainly an idea worth checking on.
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...k1.zhkGod-rWlY

Camping world has a couple of videos, the second one shows the self storage aspect of bag awning. First shows the screen tent for the awning. And CW is pretty much available across this country. Ability to have them measure and order might be advantage for some. I'm not a huge fan but then they don't have a store near me so....

Dometic Trim Line Awnings - Dometic - RV Patio Awnings - Camping World
: I have not seen many of these for sale and they would be great for a trailer as everything folds up inside the box, easy to set out and put away? Where can a person buy one of these???
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
3M VHB Tape has been used for "no holes" attachment. ...
I used the VHB tape (worth searching the site for that word) I suspect that people are split on VHB tape on its own, or with a few fasteners, or all fasteners and some sort of sealer like butyl tape.
I'll be doing the VHB with fasteners. An awning is huge when you think of forces from the wind. My Trill's track that is original has loosened at both the front and rear ends. I'm thinking the addition of VHB will minimize the effect.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Post I used to install my awning.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...0y_s4xtoojCyiA
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Our first fiberglass trailer was a 1973 LoveBug. We installed a sidewinder bag awning to an awning rail. It looked good and worked great! It is an easy install once you work up the courage to get the drill out.
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_0.JPEG   06_30_2.jpg  

06_30_3.jpg   06_30_1.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #13

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Currently Shopping
New Hampshire
My father in law and I installed a Dometic brand awning from the factory on my 13' Deluxe 5 years ago. It had brackets on either end. If I was to install a bag awning on one with a rail I'd use stainless steel screws. Good luck!
Coastie1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #14

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I removed, (and sold,) my factory installed Fiamma awning. I didn't care for it at all and rarely used it, (as in 4 times in 5 years.) I also didn't like the way it wasn't properly sealed to the trailer to prevent water leakage from running down the side of the trailer to where it hits the belly band and splashes all over everything "supposedly protected" under the awning. I personally found it to be relatively useless for deploying in the PNW climate, where it is more rainy than sunny, mainly because of the extremely ill-designed mounting brackets. (The whole mounting methodology seemed to be a total afterthought. Gee, let's mount an awning designed to be mounted tightly against a vertical "stick built" trailer side wall, and try to jerry rig it to "sorta work" on a rounded top of a trailer that it doesn't fit on. Great piece of practical engineering there!) Anyway, enough rant...

I installed a Keder rail (about 7 ft.) on the side of my trailer and it will hold either a slide-in "bag awning" or a conventional "rope and pole" awning. It also fits tightly to the side of the trailer and doesn't leak.

I drilled the rail on 1 foot centers and mounted and attached it with 1/4" X 20 stainless steel machine screws and and nylock nuts and washers inside. All mounting screws are hidden inside the upper cabinetry in the trailer.

I also much prefer the cleaner lines of the trailer's overall appearance without that ugly awning, but that's just me.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail3.JPG   Keder Rail2.JPG  

Keder Rail1.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #15

Name: Jessica
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Yes I installed my own bought it from rv dealer then used butyl tape under it drilled holes and riveted on. I use a 10 foot bag awning from a old Pop up camper that I slid on and off as I don't travel with it on.
chicknlover72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #16

Casita Greg...did you use any sealant (butyl tape or other) when installing the keder rail?
Old 09-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Just in the areas of where I drilled it for the mounting bolts. I then applied a small bead along the top edge just for aesthetics to keep the dirt out of the top seam. That way, If I ever need to remove it, (doubtful that would ever really be necessary,) it won't be so hard to get it loose from the trailer shell.
I use 3M-4200 sealant. I usually buy it in caulking gun sized tubes, but it is also available in smaller sizes, (like about the size of a toothpaste tube,) as well. Great adhesion and long lasting. I also used this a lot back when I did a lot of work on boats, and it doesn't peel off like silicone sealants and some other products. As an aside, the butyl tape mentioned above is also a good sealant that you won't have to struggle with if you ever need to remove it for some reason. It is the same product that they use to weatherproof and bed most trailer and RV windows at the factories.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #18

Many Thanks Casita Greg!!! Very helpful information!

Tags
awning, scamp