Has anyone mounted the propane regulator off the camper body? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #15

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks, Robert!

Now I feel like I'm peppering you with questions, but I'm curious what holds the tank to the mesh deck? (Or maybe you have not done that part yet.)

Much appreciate the info,
Raya

Old 10-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
No problem!
The solution was simple: standard propane tanks have a "ring" welded to the bottom of the tank so that they can stand. These rings typically feature pre-cut oblong or round holes. I ran small "u-bolts" thru three of these holes and down into the mesh. Nuts and lock washers from underneath pull the bolts down tight. Since I usually fill my tank at the propane station while it's on-board the trailer, I figured a semi-permanent hold-down solution wouldn't be too much of a bother.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr; 1972 Astro (Havasu?)
Washington
Since the kitchen is in the rear of the Campact Jr. The gas line goes under the trailer and enters thru the floor under the stove. I carry the bottle in the truck and strap down the flex-hose and regulator to the trailer tongue.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
The two-stage regulator is inline with the hose, but fastens directly to the tank. (Valve points down.)

My bulkhead fittings are simply a combination of threaded brass gas fittings and large washers (to spread the load of pressure), outside and inside , and a bit of butyl putty to help create a tight seal.
I love the fittings, it creates a clean look. I may have to copy that on my rig. Great looking setup.
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
standard propane tanks have a "ring" welded to the bottom of the tank so that they can stand. These rings typically feature pre-cut oblong or round holes.
Yes!
My Char-broil Gas Grill has a shelf with a hole in it that mates to this ring. In the sides of this hole, below the shelf, are captive bolts that engage these holes so that the tank doesn't fall off when I wheel the grill from one side of the patio to the other. Using these holes is an egg-celent idea to secure the tank to the tongue!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Okay, I'm coming late to the party but I promised a picture. (Ignore the rust... it adds character )
Attached Thumbnails
PropaneReg.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #21

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks, Donna!

I have to laugh about the rust, because whenever I've gone to take a close-up photo of some detail on my camper, I load the photo into my computer, open it up and "Oh for Pete's sake, look at that dirt/rust/what-have-you" that suddenly looks HUGE!

Raya
Old 10-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
I agree that under most circumstances, gas lines are best kept under the trailer and pushed up through the floor to appropriate appliances.

Curiously, my Trailswest Campster originally had the all the gas lines inside feeding the cooktop, 3-way frig, plus two gas-light sconces on opposite bulkhead walls. Quite a few fittings, and potential leak sources.

In my rebuild, I chose to eliminate all gas appliances except for the cooktop. With only a single hard copper line running directly to the cooktop, I thought it okay to use the original gas line entry point in the shell.