Has anyone seen a Hyland Hitch? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #1

Name: Cory
Trailer: Decrepit Canoe
British Columbia
Help! I'm goin' crazy! For the last two years (since I've owned the Egg) I've been looking for an off road hitch for it. Something that can handle SEVERE off road use. The only thing I've been able to find is this one from Australia.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hyland_1_.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	16465

The great thing about the Hyland is that it's got 360 degrees of movement on all axis. However, I can't find it here in Canada or in the US. It's not even available on ebay. Anyone know of anything simillar?

Thanx!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
There is indeed something for your specific application, but as far as I know it's off-road use only. I'll post a link later this evening when I get home, but if you'd like you could check out jeepkings.ca, or pirate4x4.com. A search on either of those forums should turn up something useful. Jeepkings is based out of Toronto, and for the most part are a friendly bunch who should be able to lead you in the right direction. Pirate4x4 is a very knowledgeable group, but requires a slightly thicker skin.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #3

British Columbia
I'm actually on three other Jeep forums. (jeepforum.com , jeepsunlimited.com, and myjeeprocks.com) I've been asking the same question on those forums for a year and a half. (Since I bought the jeep) And jeepforum.com even has Chrysler engineers who join the forum for live chats every once in a while. Even that site could only recommend a "pintle hook" as their best idea. So, If you've got something different... I'm ALL ears. Um... EYES.

Thanx!

Later!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Someone important ( I don't remember who ) said "Whenever there's a problem, there's also an opportunity".

There must be a market for such a hitch. Does anyone see $$$$?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #5

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I used to see something like that on some old boat trailers but not for a long time. Have you checked out heavy duty hitches from Bulldog?
www.bulldogproducts.net/Couplers
Old 10-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #6

This is a similar one to which I am referring, and I'm still searching (Perhaps on JU)

Name:	EWhitch.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	16477

It's from Expeditions West

I'll keep looking for it....
Old 10-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #7

FOUND IT!!!!

Do a google image search for "treg coupling" and you'll find hoards of pictures of the genuine article that would be easy to either modify, or duplicate.

Here's an example.

Name:	tregcouple.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	16478

p.s. I did originally see it on Jeepsunlimited.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #8

British Columbia
Thanx everyone! Paul, thanx for your searches man! I've already checked out the Tregs and, well... You pretty much need a laser guide to line up the trailer and tow vehicle. The hole you're trying to line up is about 3/4 of an inch in diameter. It's a byatch! That's why I'm looking for something like the Hyland which still uses a standard ball on the tow vehicle. Hey Loren! No kidding. I've been thinking along those lines for a year now. 'Cuz I CAN'T be the only guy who wants to take a trailer on some nasty trails to get to THE fishing spot or THE hunting spot or THE camping spot. If I can't find one, I'll make one. Then sell the rights, Overhaul™ the Egg and Jeep, and fulltime my butt off. THAT would be nice! Unlikely, but nice. Anyhoo... Thanx for the assist. I guess I keep on lookin'. Or start buildin'.

Hey Paul, any chance that the person on Jeepsunlimited that asked the original question about the hitch was TJCeeJay? If so, that was me. I asked there about a year or so ago. I use TJCeeJay on all my other forums. Tried to switch it here but the forum won't allow it.

Later.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #9

Actually it's been over a year since I've been on JU, it just turned up as I was doing my search, and I remembered the post. I was 4plugz on jeepkings, Q-tec, JU, and pirate.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #10

Okay, here's the simplest design I can come up with.

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	16495

It doesn't address all the issues, but it 'should' compensate for roll at least. The idea is to take a 2 inch diameter pipe (blue), drill 2 holes (red), one for the pin in the receiver and one to retain the sleeve. Oh, did I mention the sleeve? I figure if you use a 2 inch inside diameter piece of pipe with a drawbar welded to the bottom, and a grease zerk on top, it might just allow for some roll. The sleeve would likely need to be 4 inches long at minimum, but if it works it would help with movement on one axis anyways.

Just a thought, I'll likely give it a revision at some point.

p.s. this would require NO mods for highway use, you'd just swap it out with your regular drawbar.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Military uses the big pintel hitches for a reason. Simple and can hold up to off road use/abuse. No need to reinvent the wheel. They work exactly for what you want.

Might be easy to get ahold of them to thru a larger military surplus place. The truck side hitches are available many places; even harbor freight. The one on my Unimog is pivoting like your design. Dont see why a good welder could not fab up standard pintel reciver making it a pivoting one.

Trailer side- Farm supply places or military surplus etc.

Alignment can be easy too. A welder can put in alignment guide plates like the ones on this page

http://ww2.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=98175

Guides are standard on my unimog.