Hauling a gutted trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #1

Name: Ian
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Hauling a gutted trailer

Hello I am considering purchasing a 76' ventura that I recently looked at. I was hoping to buy a trailer I could renovate over the winter and this looks like it! The interior is already gutted with only a length of wood jammed in the middle for support. My concern is that I will be hauling this trailer around 800 km back to my home. Will this be an issue with the lack of support ? Is there anything I can or should do prior to make the trailer less susceptible to damage during transport ? It has a new roof vent and a brand new axle, includes the old stove, fridge, etc as well. Thanks for the help!
Ianp995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I would add more support between floor and ceiling. I for example have temporarily reinforced the roof of my Boler 17 by wedging 4 vertical 2x2s. The vertical 2x2s are resting against pieces of 1/2" plywood both on the floor and ceiling to protect the floor and ceiling coverings. For towing 800 km, you might have to fasten the vertical supports to the floor and ceiling plywood pieces so that they don't slip out of place.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Tie the door shut and brace where you think you should and you should do fine. I brought a gutted Scamp13 home from 600 miles away.
It was a bit of a "Pillar of Jello" but it suffered no harm.

Same was true of my Taurus Cadet only 700+ miles.(much thinner walls)
Attached Thumbnails
Shelly#8 001.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I am assuming that you are able to hook up the lights in the rear and get them working. I had to use magnetic lights when I picked up my T4500. Make sure that the tires have lots of pressure and stop regularly to check the heat of the wheel bearings and that nothing that you used to prop up inside has moved. Keep your tool box and tire pump in your tow vehicle. Tow at a reasonable speed (below limit if possible). Make sure you have a valid license for trailer and or registration. Check the spare tire and safety chains.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Nobody ever went wrong adding duct tape. I would secure the vertical support with it.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote