Hauling a Motorcycle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Thinking about it
Minnesota
Hauling a Motorcycle?

Hi all,
Long time lurker, 1st time poster from Minneapolis, Minnesota here.
My family owned a Scamp 13' when I was a teen in 70's. We enjoyed that trailer for many years traveling all over the country and Canada before my Dad sold it in the late 80's. Now I'm in my 50's and my wife and I are thinking about getting another Scamp or similar trailer and have been unable to find any info on if any of these small trailers can be used to bring a small motorcycle along. I'd like to be able to bring a small Dual Sport motorcycle like a Yamaha TW200 or WR250 along on trips. When we do get the trailer, I'll also need to buy a tow vehicle and I could buy a pickup and put the bike in the back of the truck, but I think I'd rather get a 4WD van of some sort and be able to hang the motorcycle on the back of the trailer if possible. Does anyone have any experience with this they can share?
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I do not think that is a good idea, one thing it will cause your tongue weight to be so light you will have a lot of sway and two, the frame is not strong enough. You almost need to choose, ride or camp but not both with a Scamp.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV John, we're glad you're here!

Jim has it right. The Scamp's frame is too light for a motorcycle. Even bicycles and racks have been known to cause sway too. A pickup or van to haul the motorcycle is what you need.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
We have several bikes including a Suzuki combo the size of those you describe, and I can tell you without fear of contradiction that:

There is NO WAY a fiberglass trailer of any age/size will carry a motorcycle at the rear of the trailer. Many are too light to even carry bicycles back there!

The pickup truck is the best option of those you mention...although our main tow vehicle is a Kia Sportage, we use my husband's truck on the rare occasions when he doesn't want to ride the bike to the destination, or if he's going alone.

You could carry a small dual sport on a rack between a van and the trailer, but you'd have to buy a van with at least 500 pounds of carrying capacity at the receiver.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I wish that I had some experience but I've come to accept the fact that it's the bike or the trailer. I do have a PU but putting the bike in the box is a bit of a pain and would really cut down on storage that we've come to depend on.

I do have a bike trailer but here in BC it's not legal to tow two trailers although in some other provinces and states it is legal.

My compromise is buying an ebike for short trips away from where the trailer is set-up.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #6

Registry
How big is your truck, Ron?

I ask because my husband hates rampin' the bike into the bed, too, so likes to use the carrier combination between tug and tow I mentioned above when talking about the van.

Masterbuilt HMXCR HITCH-HAUL Motorcycle Carrier
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Welcome to the club. I know that Lil Snoozy mentions that they have a toy hauler version, but I have not seen any pictures nor have I yet spoken with them about this layout. I would like to take along a Honda Goldwing after we retire, and this is they way I was leaning, as we do a lot of off-roading with our wrangler, and did not want to change over to a pick-up truck as a TV. I was thinking that if a shower curtain were used in place of the hard wall, then a motorcycle would have enough room to enter the trailer and be secured.
Just a thought.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #8

Registry
I think the Snoozy "toyhauler" concept will be more bicycle-related unless they intend double doors and lower cabinets to accommodate motorcycle handlebars.

Not to mention perhaps the addition of another man door up front for access to the rest of the interior when it's "toyhauling"!

Francesca
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I think the Snoozy "toyhauler" concept will be more bicycle-related unless they intend double doors and lower cabinets to accommodate motorcycle handlebars.

Not to mention perhaps the addition of another man door up front for access to the rest of the interior when it's "toyhauling"!

Francesca
Lil Snoozy has a bare bones toy hauler for motorcycles or quads. One could finish it out himself or, in my case, I planed on talking with them about putting in the ramp style back door, or a custom 3/4 ramp with door toward the side, or double opening doors that required a ramp for entry, but still have them furnish the inside almost like their traditional offering.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Lil Snoozy has a bare bones toy hauler for motorcycles or quads.
Never seen one of those, and I'd sure like to... It's hard to imagine a motorcycle of any size going through the Snoozy's door, let alone a quad!

Does the toyhauler have a wider door, or what?

Francesca
Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This information is from the Lil Snoozy website: "Toy Hauler - Specially equipped, the Lil Snoozy small travel trailer can carry your motorcycle, bicycles, ATVs and more. The enclosed trailer protects your toys from the weather and prying eyes."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This information is from the Lil Snoozy website: "Toy Hauler - Specially equipped, the Lil Snoozy small travel trailer can carry your motorcycle, bicycles, ATVs and more. The enclosed trailer protects your toys from the weather and prying eyes."
Yes, but...how wide is/are the door/doors?

My Grandkids' electric "Hotwheels" car won't fit through most trailer doors- and it's a tad smaller than an ATV or a motorcycle.

One needs to know just how wide an object can be delivered to the Interior Sanctuary described above......

Francesca
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
How big is your truck, Ron?

I ask because my husband hates rampin' the bike into the bed, too, so likes to use the carrier combination between tug and tow I mentioned above when talking about the van.

Masterbuilt HMXCR HITCH-HAUL Motorcycle Carrier
The problem with this set up is (1) you will need a hitch extender that will reduce your hitch capacity. In addition (2)Remember you only have a 500# capacity back there, with a 400# bike only leaves 100# for the tongue weight
Old 12-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Yes, but...how wide is/are the door/doors?

My Grandkids' electric "Hotwheels" car won't fit through most trailer doors- and it's a tad smaller than an ATV or a motorcycle.

One needs to know just how wide an object can be delivered to the Interior Sanctuary described above......

Francesca
If I recall with the rear door, Lil Snoozy would make a toy hauler with a single door, as wide as can be made to fit. But of course there is nothing inside, just an empty shell. With a stock set up, your width is determined by the stock door due to the bath and kitchen restraints. Two different arrangements.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
If you want to see what you can haul inside a stock Lil Snoozy, go to this thread, and then click on the blog there is an interior picture where it is loaded for a long trip, 2 bikes and exercise equipment!!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...log-55834.html
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Thinking about it
Minnesota
Thanks all for the replies. I appreciate it.
Happy New Year to all!
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #17

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Welcome to the club. I know that Lil Snoozy mentions that they have a toy hauler version, but I have not seen any pictures nor have I yet spoken with them about this layout. I would like to take along a Honda Goldwing after we retire, and this is they way I was leaning, as we do a lot of off-roading with our wrangler, and did not want to change over to a pick-up truck as a TV. I was thinking that if a shower curtain were used in place of the hard wall, then a motorcycle would have enough room to enter the trailer and be secured.
Just a thought.

A Goldwing weights 850 pounds the axle won't handle it.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
not only that, your tongue weight would be -0
almost better to get a 8x14 cargo van and convert inside for camping- the bike is about 8' long if I recall my motorcycle trailer days. doubt a 4 cyl jeep wrangler can pull that also, maybe a Liberty or bigger Cherokee models.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The problem with this set up is (1) you will need a hitch extender that will reduce your hitch capacity. In addition (2)Remember you only have a 500# capacity back there, with a 400# bike only leaves 100# for the tongue weight
Dual sport bikes of the size described by the O.P. don't weigh 400 pounds, which weight would grossly exceed the carrying capacity of the carrier posted anyway.

We've used this setup more than once, and at least with our Trillium, no hitch extender is necessary. The regular ball mount inserted in the dual receiver works just fine, clearance-wise.

As for total weight, I believe I addressed that issue in my previous post by advising that around 500 pounds of capacity at the tug's hitch is required. The bike we carry is in the size range described by the O.P., and weighs less than 200 pounds...the whole shootin' match including the double receiver comes to less than 300 pounds when fully loaded.

There's a comfortable margin left for the <200 pound tongue weight of our Trillium, but of course a heavier trailer/tongue would need more capacity at the tug.

Francesca
Old 12-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #20

Trailer:
I saved these photos from this forum many years ago but this would seem to be the ideal answer. I have a feint memory that these are mythical beats and that this may actually be a one-off. It's certainly highly modified.
Attached Thumbnails
13ft-conversion-5.JPG   13ft-conversion-7.JPG  

13ft-conversion-1.JPG  
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote