Hauling Bicycles: Options for 13' Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Mike: check the load capacity of the Honda roof rack, I think our 2003 CRV factory rack is rated 100 pounds capacity. It's in the owners manual.
Every OEM roof rack which I have ever checked was rated at "100 pounds evenly distributed".(not capacity)
From what I have seen..., my guess is that the "rating" is most often treated as a minimum!!

Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #16

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1996 Scamp 16
South Dakota
Two Bike Rack

I have also been looking for a solution to hold two bikes on my 16 foot Scamp. For me it has to be on the back hitch or inside the trailer. I found a bike rack on Camping Worlds website. It looks like it may work better because it secures to two spots on the bumper. Has anyone used this style of rack or have thoughts on it?

Around-the-Spare Bike Rack - Swagman 80500 - Bike Racks - Camping World
Attached Thumbnails
Picture1.jpg  

---------
1996 Scamp 16
HighPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #17

Name: Lee
Trailer: 2011 13' Scamp, tug 2010 Subaru Forester
Minnesota
Hauling bikes

Mike here is what works for us. Keeps bikes clean, safe and puts weight over axle. see attached images. Hope this will be helpful./Users/russelldietrich/Desktop/DSCN0298.JPG/Users/russelldietrich/Desktop/DSCN0300.JPG/Users/russelldietrich/Desktop/DSCN0301.JPG/Users/russelldietrich/Desktop/DSCN0304.JPG/Users/russelldietrich/Desktop/DSCN0306.JPG/Users/russelldietrich/Desktop/DSCN0307.JPG
Old 08-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Joe: My opinion, that's too much weight, leverage, and strain on only the bumper. I strongly feel that anything mounted on the rear should be also attached to two frame crossmembers, or an additional cross piece be added to the frame side rails.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #19

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1996 Scamp 16
South Dakota
Thanks Bob. I see the concern with the bumper.

Hey Lee I don't think your photos uploaded properly. Can you try again so we can check out your solution.

Thanks for the input everyone.

---------
1996 Scamp 16
HighPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Floyd has a good idea and it is also popular with my Airstream pals. We travel with both our bikes in the trailer. Works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
infiniti Q45.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #21

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Floyd has a good idea and it is also popular with my Airstream pals. We travel with both our bikes in the trailer. Works fine.
I saved that picture to show the next person who thinks it would be appropriate to chastise me for pulling my 13' Scamp with my Ford Escape!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #22

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1975 ventura 400 towed by a jeep grand cherokee sometimes, and an ugly 89 dodge truck other times.
Alberta
Registry
I was thinking of putting a pair of wheel clamps (one clamp for each bike) on the front couch. I currently take both wheels off, and put the bikes in the back of the Jeep. But it'd be nice to stow them in the center of the trailer. The wheel clamp keeps it pretty secure, but the floor would stil get filthy, and it'd be tough not to scuff the sides getting it in there.

I don't much care for the racks, because they leave your bike out in public. Ok if you don't leave the trailer unattended, and I get that you can lock em up, but it's nice to just have them out of sight.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #23

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetvan1 View Post
I was thinking of putting a pair of wheel clamps (one clamp for each bike) on the front couch. I currently take both wheels off, and put the bikes in the back of the Jeep. But it'd be nice to stow them in the center of the trailer. The wheel clamp keeps it pretty secure, but the floor would stil get filthy, and it'd be tough not to scuff the sides getting it in there.

I don't much care for the racks, because they leave your bike out in public. Ok if you don't leave the trailer unattended, and I get that you can lock em up, but it's nice to just have them out of sight.
We do have a cover for the bikes, but we seldom use it.
We usually lock our bikes on the rack along with the propane cylinder which blocks access to steal the battery. We take some precautions for security, but we don't get too concerned.
Our last major theft was as follows...

I set my candybar on the picnic table and turned away long enough to get a drink from the cooler(maybe 10 seconds). In the iterim, a squirrel absconded with the candybar and stopped by a nearby tree to look back at me with a smug snicker in his eye and my Snicker in his paws as he consumed it.
Our bikes are 1989 Trek 820's, with personalized mods. They are hardly attractive to the uninitiated thief.
Although they are superior in much of the same ways that a 1989 3-series Bimmer is superior to the new ones and they would be sorely missed.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #24

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1975 ventura 400 towed by a jeep grand cherokee sometimes, and an ugly 89 dodge truck other times.
Alberta
Registry
Those squirrels are real troublemakers. Just ask my dog, he'll tell you. I guess living in "the hood" has made me over cautious.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Nice solution Floyd. Did you purchase this or is the stand that attaches to the tongue custom built stand for a purchased bike rack? or is the whole thing custom?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #26

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Nice solution Floyd. Did you purchase this or is the stand that attaches to the tongue custom built stand for a purchased bike rack? or is the whole thing custom?
It is my own design, but it is based on a few simple parts and a couple of ideas.
Here is a link to the type, if not the brand of racks used....

http://www.bikerackshops.com/vehicle...ght_roof_rack/

I used an old boxfan frame for the sides and angle iron from old bed frames for the crossmembers. the feet are made of angle as well.
The idea is to get the bikes as close to the trailer as possible to allow full articulation clearance when turning.
This is accomplished in two ways...
1] Get the rack up high enough to allow the inside bike handle bar to just clear the top of the trailer or at least to take advantage of the natural contour (in the case of a Scamp)
2] Attach the rack rails facing in opposite directions so as to allow them (and the bikes) to be as close together as possible.
My frame work has since been modified to allow for storage of my "legoblock" levelers below the bikes and above the propane tank.
You could consider any sturdy structure which would firmly secure the racks in the right position.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
Every OEM roof rack which I have ever checked was rated at "100 pounds evenly distributed".(not capacity)
From what I have seen..., my guess is that the "rating" is most often treated as a minimum!!
Just from my own experience: 2003 VW Golf factory roof rack mounting points have a 165lb rating. 2011 Subaru Outback OEM roof rack has a 150lb rating.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It is my own design, but it is based on a few simple parts and a couple of ideas.
Here is a link to the type, if not the brand of racks used....

http://www.bikerackshops.com/vehicle...ght_roof_rack/

I used an old boxfan frame for the sides and angle iron from old bed frames for the crossmembers. the feet are made of angle as well......
Thanks for the links. And the idea.

That is funny, I have used old bed frame angle for a lot of projects over the years. At times getting a frame on the last day of a garage sale for a couple of bucks. Way cheaper than buying stock from the store. Have found that some are such a hard spring steel I can only cut with grinder and cut off wheel. Hack saw just ends up with rounded teeth. That is some strong, light stock and a good choice for something like this.

Tags
scamp