Hauling Bicycles: Options for 13' Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Floyd has a good idea and it is also popular with my Airstream pals. We travel with both our bikes in the trailer. Works fine.
I saved that picture to show the next person who thinks it would be appropriate to chastise me for pulling my 13' Scamp with my Ford Escape!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #22

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1975 ventura 400 towed by a jeep grand cherokee sometimes, and an ugly 89 dodge truck other times.
Alberta
Registry
I was thinking of putting a pair of wheel clamps (one clamp for each bike) on the front couch. I currently take both wheels off, and put the bikes in the back of the Jeep. But it'd be nice to stow them in the center of the trailer. The wheel clamp keeps it pretty secure, but the floor would stil get filthy, and it'd be tough not to scuff the sides getting it in there.

I don't much care for the racks, because they leave your bike out in public. Ok if you don't leave the trailer unattended, and I get that you can lock em up, but it's nice to just have them out of sight.
streetvan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetvan1 View Post
I was thinking of putting a pair of wheel clamps (one clamp for each bike) on the front couch. I currently take both wheels off, and put the bikes in the back of the Jeep. But it'd be nice to stow them in the center of the trailer. The wheel clamp keeps it pretty secure, but the floor would stil get filthy, and it'd be tough not to scuff the sides getting it in there.

I don't much care for the racks, because they leave your bike out in public. Ok if you don't leave the trailer unattended, and I get that you can lock em up, but it's nice to just have them out of sight.
We do have a cover for the bikes, but we seldom use it.
We usually lock our bikes on the rack along with the propane cylinder which blocks access to steal the battery. We take some precautions for security, but we don't get too concerned.
Our last major theft was as follows...

I set my candybar on the picnic table and turned away long enough to get a drink from the cooler(maybe 10 seconds). In the iterim, a squirrel absconded with the candybar and stopped by a nearby tree to look back at me with a smug snicker in his eye and my Snicker in his paws as he consumed it.
Our bikes are 1989 Trek 820's, with personalized mods. They are hardly attractive to the uninitiated thief.
Although they are superior in much of the same ways that a 1989 3-series Bimmer is superior to the new ones and they would be sorely missed.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #24

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1975 ventura 400 towed by a jeep grand cherokee sometimes, and an ugly 89 dodge truck other times.
Alberta
Registry
Those squirrels are real troublemakers. Just ask my dog, he'll tell you. I guess living in "the hood" has made me over cautious.
streetvan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Nice solution Floyd. Did you purchase this or is the stand that attaches to the tongue custom built stand for a purchased bike rack? or is the whole thing custom?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Nice solution Floyd. Did you purchase this or is the stand that attaches to the tongue custom built stand for a purchased bike rack? or is the whole thing custom?
It is my own design, but it is based on a few simple parts and a couple of ideas.
Here is a link to the type, if not the brand of racks used....

http://www.bikerackshops.com/vehicle...ght_roof_rack/

I used an old boxfan frame for the sides and angle iron from old bed frames for the crossmembers. the feet are made of angle as well.
The idea is to get the bikes as close to the trailer as possible to allow full articulation clearance when turning.
This is accomplished in two ways...
1] Get the rack up high enough to allow the inside bike handle bar to just clear the top of the trailer or at least to take advantage of the natural contour (in the case of a Scamp)
2] Attach the rack rails facing in opposite directions so as to allow them (and the bikes) to be as close together as possible.
My frame work has since been modified to allow for storage of my "legoblock" levelers below the bikes and above the propane tank.
You could consider any sturdy structure which would firmly secure the racks in the right position.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
Every OEM roof rack which I have ever checked was rated at "100 pounds evenly distributed".(not capacity)
From what I have seen..., my guess is that the "rating" is most often treated as a minimum!!
Just from my own experience: 2003 VW Golf factory roof rack mounting points have a 165lb rating. 2011 Subaru Outback OEM roof rack has a 150lb rating.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It is my own design, but it is based on a few simple parts and a couple of ideas.
Here is a link to the type, if not the brand of racks used....

http://www.bikerackshops.com/vehicle...ght_roof_rack/

I used an old boxfan frame for the sides and angle iron from old bed frames for the crossmembers. the feet are made of angle as well......
Thanks for the links. And the idea.

That is funny, I have used old bed frame angle for a lot of projects over the years. At times getting a frame on the last day of a garage sale for a couple of bucks. Way cheaper than buying stock from the store. Have found that some are such a hard spring steel I can only cut with grinder and cut off wheel. Hack saw just ends up with rounded teeth. That is some strong, light stock and a good choice for something like this.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Just from my own experience: 2003 VW Golf factory roof rack mounting points have a 165lb rating. 2011 Subaru Outback OEM roof rack has a 150lb rating.
Well... there ya go!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Thanks for the links. And the idea.

That is funny, I have used old bed frame angle for a lot of projects over the years. At times getting a frame on the last day of a garage sale for a couple of bucks. Way cheaper than buying stock from the store. Have found that some are such a hard spring steel I can only cut with grinder and cut off wheel. Hack saw just ends up with rounded teeth. That is some strong, light stock and a good choice for something like this.
I have a cut-off saw which I use to cut up discarded bed frames.
I keep the resultant lengths of angle in my steel bin for project use.
I find that I often need titanium drill bits to drill it,yet it is still flexes under extreme stress. It is just the right stuff for my MIG... (welder not aircraft)
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #31

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
carrying bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by morz4 View Post
I'm seeking creative ideas for taking along two mountain bikes in or on our 13' Scamp. The rooftop carrier on the tow vehicle will suffice for the bikes except on those trips in which we're also hauling the canoe.

We have hauled the bikes using a hitch rack in the 2" receiver on the Scamp's bumper. Honestly, that still seems the a very good potential option. Yet I'm not thrilled with the very low clearance, the options for increasing that clearance, the effectiveness of 1-1/4" to 2" receiver adapters, or even the extra weight of the bicycles hanging off the back.

I'm toying with a wide variety of options. One that intrigues me is a simple way of hauling the bikes inside the Scamp. If that were to be done, I'd want to be certain the bikes were secure to avoid damage to the interior. Another thought is to craft a hitch rack using, for example, the HITCH-HAUL® Clearance Bar and my current rooftop bike carriers.

So, oh creative forum members, please share your ideas and experiences.

Thanks!
Mike

Hey Mike our solution has been to carry bikes inside our 13' Scamp, cleaner, safer and puts weight over axle. Hope images load.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0306.jpg   DSCN0299.jpg  

DSCN0304.jpg   DSCN0305.jpg  

russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #32
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well George I cant tell you how many times I have had to "miss something" on the road such as bikes that have managed to come off the back of trailers - sometimes with the racks still attached ;-)
I'm with Carol on this. We too have lost bikes to the pavement for various reasons (no fault of our own). Our 2 current bikes are worth as much as our trailer so they get transported and locked inside the trailer.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #33

Registry
Quote:
I'm with Carol on this. We too have lost bikes to the pavement for various reasons (no fault of our own). Our 2 current bikes are worth as much as our trailer so they get transported and locked inside the trailer.
I like the idea of transporting the bikes inside the trailer, but we use our trailer while in transit as well as at our destination.
What do you do with your bikes when you're using your trailer or at campsite?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #34
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hey there Floyd. We have a hall way located in the centre of our trailer beside the bed/couch. The bikes go in that area and it is still easy to walk by them to the rear head. It is not ideal but the best solution for us. The flooring is laminate so easy cleanup if some dirt comes in with the bikes. We take off the front wheels of the bikes so they fit in that space better.

At the campsite we chain them to the back bumper of the trailer and put a plastic tarp over them. No need to advertise their existance and the tarp keeps them dry when it rains.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #35

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I like the idea of transporting the bikes inside the trailer, but we use our trailer while in transit as well as at our destination.
For me with bikes inside I couldn't open the fridge or bathroom door - the main reasons I ended up with them on a roof rack for traveling long distances and to secure them while at a campground. For short 4-5 hour trips carrying them inside isnt an issue. There are issues with carrying them on the roof in the winter though - road salt etc so I would prefer them inside in the winter if possible.

What I like about my roof mount system over my very good rear mount rack is the added security not to mention the rear rack was/is pretty darn heavy and try as I might to stop it from bouncing it bounces!

The roof mount rack has a key locking system that works fine for short stops (or at least it has so far) but on longer stops and/or in the campground its supplemented with a more serious chain lock to the more permanently attached front to back portion of the roof rack (not the removable crossbars), through the bikes wheels/frame etc. Going to be a real louder racket if someone tries to take the bikes off the roof as the roof rack cross bars are going to have to go with them or be hacked through. I know what a pain it was to install the cross bars. Not to mention it takes a very special tool made only by vehicle manufacturer to get the rack off the car! Dont ask how I know that!! The other big sound will be the car alarm going off - I need to open the car doors in order to reach the bikes. If someone rocks the car while trying to get at the bikes without the car or rack keys they will trigger the car alarm. Not saying the bikes cant be stolen from the roof as there probable is some creative sole out there that can do it but I think its going to be a lot harder to do & with a lot more sound than it would have been taking them off my hitch mount rack. A friend lost 2 bikes that were locked to a rear rack with the racks key lock and a cable lock last year while they slept inside at the rear of the trailer - didnt hear a thing!

As been correctly pointed out the cost of insuring bikes these days is crazy! It cost almost twice as much to insure one bike per year over the cost of insuring the trailer That's even with having one million in liability and collision insurance on the trailer. Without the extra insurance rider for the bikes many home insurance policies will cap their payout at around $1000 some less or at least that's the case with my insurance company - take the big claim deductible (mines $500) out of that and its hardly worth the claim.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #36

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Bikes in transit

Quote:
At our destination the bikes will be locked to trailer, but often we don't lock them, depends on campgrounds. When in transit we remove bikes from inside. Takes just a few minutes. Like I said before it works for us.

Like Carol said I would prefer roof rack, but I have bad shoulders and bikes are 30-35 pounds.
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Hey there Floyd. We have a hall way located in the centre of our trailer beside the bed/couch. The bikes go in that area and it is still easy to walk by them to the rear head. It is not ideal but the best solution for us. The flooring is laminate so easy cleanup if some dirt comes in with the bikes. We take off the front wheels of the bikes so they fit in that space better.

At the campsite we chain them to the back bumper of the trailer and put a plastic tarp over them. No need to advertise their existance and the tarp keeps them dry when it rains.
but Mike and I have Scamp 13s, A toy hauler would make it even easier.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #38

Name: Nancy
Trailer: in the market
California
We don't yet own an egg, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a strap-mounted rack attached to the rear hatch of the tow vehicle?
nancyrwolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyrwolfing View Post
We don't yet own an egg, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a strap-mounted rack attached to the rear hatch of the tow vehicle?
There are nearly unlimited rack/tow vehicle combinations. It may be possible for certain ones. My guess is that it would require something with a trunk or slanted hatch with a high forward mounted rack.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #40

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by morz4 View Post
I'm toying with a wide variety of options. One that intrigues me is a simple way of hauling the bikes inside the Scamp. If that were to be done, I'd want to be certain the bikes were secure to avoid damage to the interior.
Thanks!
Mike
You mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails
InsideBikeRake-1.jpg   InsideBikeRake-2.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp