Hauling Bicycles: Options for 13' Scamp? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Hauling Bicycles: Options for 13' Scamp?

I'm seeking creative ideas for taking along two mountain bikes in or on our 13' Scamp. The rooftop carrier on the tow vehicle will suffice for the bikes except on those trips in which we're also hauling the canoe.

We have hauled the bikes using a hitch rack in the 2" receiver on the Scamp's bumper. Honestly, that still seems the a very good potential option. Yet I'm not thrilled with the very low clearance, the options for increasing that clearance, the effectiveness of 1-1/4" to 2" receiver adapters, or even the extra weight of the bicycles hanging off the back.

I'm toying with a wide variety of options. One that intrigues me is a simple way of hauling the bikes inside the Scamp. If that were to be done, I'd want to be certain the bikes were secure to avoid damage to the interior. Another thought is to craft a hitch rack using, for example, the HITCH-HAULŪ Clearance Bar and my current rooftop bike carriers.

So, oh creative forum members, please share your ideas and experiences.

Thanks!
Mike

Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #2

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
What is your tow vehicle Mike?
Will the roof rack allow for a bike on either side of the canoe?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
This can be a heated topic. I've seen rear mount racks break off, I've had one of mine bend. Bikes on the rear of a trailer tend to bounce, putting a lot of stress on a rack and the receiver. The double receiver adapters change the weight load on your tow vehicle hitch. So with all that said here's what I have done. On our Uhaul I made a rear receiver, and after one rack bending, I bought a Swagman two bike rack that is RV rated, so they say. I like the way the bikes mount on it more or less. Would like it to be a little heavier constructed but it works OK. I also fabricated a receiver tube on the tongue of our teardrop for this rack, and the bikes ride real good there but it may have cut down my turning radius a little. If I tow with my pickup, which is rare, I have a pair of Thule tray type racks that set in the bed. If you go with a rear mounted rack, I strongly suggest that it be attached to a couple frame crossmembers and be reinforced as necessary. I think I just saw on here a reference to a Scamp rear receiver that was available from Amazon, not sure of that. I like taking bikes, but they can be a real pain in the @@@ to deal with. And if you want to take kayaks too, find my old post of how NOT to do it, I had two come off the roof a year ago. Got that problem solved now after learning the hard way!! Bob
Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Tow vehicle is a 2009 Honda CR-V. Factory rack is not wide enough for canoe + two bikes. I am looking into modifying. Understand some state laws restrict bar length to extend no further than rear view mirrors.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #5

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by morz4 View Post
Tow vehicle is a 2009 Honda CR-V. Factory rack is not wide enough for canoe + two bikes. I am looking into modifying. Understand some state laws restrict bar length to extend no further than rear view mirrors.
Those long bars are head whackers, too.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
I'm looking at something like this from Northern tool.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #7

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
We have used a Curt brand double receiver hitch for hauling a bicycle rack and a small trailer. Curt dual receiver Curt "Ball and socket" dual receiver

I've never used it for towing the Scamp, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
(Don't yell at me if you think it's irresponsible. Just the facts and I'll never use it.)
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #8

North Carolina
It's on my short list after the removable bunk bed railing, which should be completed in a day or two. I already have an Allen Model 542RR rack that I use; I'll do a trial run and then post pictures of the completed install.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #9

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Mike, like you I ended up going with the roof mount racks for the bikes and actually very happy with it. Actually even happier now that I have retired the old heavy mountain bike and replaced it with a much lighter hybrid bike.

Prior to getting the roof rack I did carry the bikes inside the trailer. I would lean them over in the trailer & bungee them together and stick double folded towels where ever the bikes where touching the cabinets or each other (if you really like your bikes) and put a wheel chock from the trailer under the wheels to keep them from rolling. The raised floor section of the dinette area of the Scamp stopped them from rolling back. I would also put my large plastic trailer gear boxes in front of them as well to stop them from going anyplace. Did a lot of miles with them that way and never had any problems other than I cant get in the fridge when traveling. It did take two people though to get them in without touching any of the trailer walls/doors etc while getting them in & out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Mike: check the load capacity of the Honda roof rack, I think our 2003 CRV factory rack is rated 100 pounds capacity. It's in the owners manual.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #11

North Carolina
OK, I'm having a hard time understanding the rational of lifting the bikes either into and storing in the camper,(done this not easy) or lifting and removing from a roof rack vs. using a dual receiver like I'm suggesting....just trying to understand...am I missing something???
Old 08-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver View Post
...just trying to understand...am I missing something???
Well George I cant tell you how many times I have had to "miss something" on the road such as bikes that have managed to come off the back of trailers - sometimes with the racks still attached ;-)

Bikes as far as weight goes can be heavy (especially mountain bikes or older model road bikes) and it would seem that a lot of carriers or rear hitch receivers dont hold them all that well or they bounce around way to much.

Added weight at the very rear of the trailer can also lead to sway issues - yes you can move things to the front of the trailer but if the front hatches are already full of stuff you like to be able to get all the time and you dont want to have to put things you never use in there just to get the weight at the front up then not putting the bikes on the back of the trailer is the only answer.

Have also followed more than one trailer with bikes on the back that where covering up their lights! So one needs to take a good look at how the bikes actually sit on the rack they are considering.

BTW lifting becomes easier if you go for a light bike - one of the new road bikes at my house only weights less than 20lbs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #13

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by morz4 View Post
I'm seeking creative ideas for taking along two mountain bikes in or on our 13' Scamp. The rooftop carrier on the tow vehicle will suffice for the bikes except on those trips in which we're also hauling the canoe.

We have hauled the bikes using a hitch rack in the 2" receiver on the Scamp's bumper. Honestly, that still seems the a very good potential option. Yet I'm not thrilled with the very low clearance, the options for increasing that clearance, the effectiveness of 1-1/4" to 2" receiver adapters, or even the extra weight of the bicycles hanging off the back.

I'm toying with a wide variety of options. One that intrigues me is a simple way of hauling the bikes inside the Scamp. If that were to be done, I'd want to be certain the bikes were secure to avoid damage to the interior. Another thought is to craft a hitch rack using, for example, the HITCH-HAULŪ Clearance Bar and my current rooftop bike carriers.

So, oh creative forum members, please share your ideas and experiences.

Thanks!
Mike
this has worked great for us for about eight years or so, so far....
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 013.jpg   DSCF0045.JPG  

DSCF0044.JPG  
Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #14

North Carolina
Nicely done Floyd and very creative!

Tags
scamp