Having bearings packed tomorrow any other must do's? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I have an appointment to have the bearings packed tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything else I should have serviced as well to get the Casita ready for the summer camping season. Anything that I should have checked? Tires are newer but will have those checked, but was wondering if there is a service I am not thinking of that should be done? I just want to get it ready to hit the road and get out camping. Thanks for the suggestions. Robin
Attached Images

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Robin,

There is the obvious one, de-winterize the water system. However, it may still be too early to do that here in Colorado.

Check the battery fluid levels and specific gravity.

Dean
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #3

Dean, yeah I thought I could handle that one a little later. Are you tired of our spring? LOL.................... Why? We had the mildest winter and then here comes spring and all the wet weather. But your still seeing rv'ers on the road. I have been back and forth to Denver several times that few weeks and there sure are a lot of rv's on the road. I will wait a few weeks to de-winterize. Though, I do store the Casita in my Mom's barn, I would probabaly be ok, but not worth finding out. Can't wait to get going, Happy journeys! Robin
Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
This video shows how to do it.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #5

Thanks Kevin, for the video. I pretty much can do a lot of things. Or at least give them a try, But I won't be packing my own bearings. I know it's pretty easy, at least Dh says it is. But due to his health issue I won't be letting him do it. I know when to just pay for some things to be done. I also asked the guy to check all the other important stuff underneath at the same time. Kinda a CYA service for the Casita. Hopefully I can prevent future issues when I do these types of services. Well see. Thanks again for the video, I am sure it will come in handy for others. Robin
Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Robin,

I have to have the wheel bearings done on my U-haul too..Just wondering where you took yours (to a trailer place, garage, Goodyear?) and if I may ask, what does it cost to have that service done?? I thought I was going to get mine out of the storage barn today, but now we're getting that rain that was out west, so I can't put on the 'poli-glow' that arrived yesterday. We were hoping to get camping this weekend!!

Thanks in advance..
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
It is amazing how variable is the progress in different fields. I began my education with slide ruler and log tables, owned cars with cassette and now with a memory stick, view video on RCA record and now on iPod touch, play with Commodore 64 8-bit and now work with 64 bit PC, used punch card and hope for GE 500-GB holographic DVD, have analog cameras resting in peace, and finely packed trailer wheel bearings 40 years ago and will pay someone to pack trailer wheel bearings today. To my great disappointment my 08 Bigfoot RB has ancient wheel bearings technology still requiring grease re-packing by complete disassembly. My boat trailer had EZ-Lube technology which was years ahead of my Bigfoot.

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I had this idea that the U-hauls had "Nev-R-Lube" sealed bearings Of course I could be wrong, it might not be the VTs, and/or yours could have been retrofitted with other ones by now, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #9

Carolyn, The place I am taking mine is to a guy that I heard about from another Casita owner. He's worked on theirs and seems to understand the egg concept versus the big rig concept. He's just a private little rv repair/hitch place that does mostly rv repair. He came highly recommend so I figured I give him a try.

I know that most Rv dealers do repack the bearings, cause I called about it last year when I bought the first one. But then a week later I bought the 2007 and it had just been serviced so didn't have to bother with it. I don't know the price, I am sure I will be overjoyed at the bill, but it is what it is! I can't do anything about it. But guess you should check into the info Raya spoke of just to make sure you don't have one that is a never-lube.

George, your just a baby............. Cassette player? My first car had an 8 track! LOL........ My parents had a car that had a 4 track player in it. And I grew up with a reel to reel stereo. Heck I even remember the first cable boxes, they were hooked to the Tv with a long cord. and you punched buttons. Your point, Weve come along way! We sure have!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Carolyn,
Raya is correct in that UHaul's have sealed hubs that never need to have the bearings lubed. The only reason this might be different is if the hubs and axle were replaced with a more standard unit. I seriously doubt that has been done on your VT, though. Why do you think they need packing? Have you heard any rubbing or have they been generating abnormal heat when rolling? The VTs and CTs were meant to be used and abused by renters, so the company made this one less job that the service dealers had to take care of.

Kevin A

Quote:
Robin,

I have to have the wheel bearings done on my U-haul too..Just wondering where you took yours (to a trailer place, garage, Goodyear?) and if I may ask, what does it cost to have that service done?? I thought I was going to get mine out of the storage barn today, but now we're getting that rain that was out west, so I can't put on the 'poli-glow' that arrived yesterday. We were hoping to get camping this weekend!!

Thanks in advance..
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Whoo Hooo!

Now wouldn't I have been embarrassed towing my trailer to a facility only to have been told "your bearings are sealed".

Nope Kevin no problem at all. After having lived in Florida for a couple decades owning boats and jet skis and every year having the trailer bearings packed was just like the first 'detail' of summer. THis is our 2nd summer with our trailer so I was just thinking of routine maintaince.

Thanks for telling me! It would only stand to reason that U-haul trailers wouldn't have this extra service issue..

I LOVE my trailer even more now!! (Just wish it would stop raining so I could scrub and love on it!)

You guys are awesome!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #12

Cool Carolyn you have one less thing to get ready for camping. If your sure your trailer has the, thingy bob hub thing Raya and Kevin are talking about.............. See why I take mine in, LOL............... I just know it has to be done. Enjoy! Robin
Old 04-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Set the tire pressure (50 psi on the OEM tires) and fill the propane tank(s), then check the water in the battery and charge it up. I sterilize the water tank once a year too.

Time to hit the road!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Robin... Maybe while the wheels are off to re pack the bearings...pull the brake drums and check the brake linings and lube the pivots might be wise!!! I am going to make an apt. with my RV. Guy in the AM.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #15

Thanks Patrick those are actually things I do before every trip! Except for the water tank sterilizing, that's usually once a year thing, unless needed.

Just pulled the trailer out of the barn for the first time since last fall. First time hooking up to my new truck, takes a little getting use to the back up camera. I think it would be easier if I hadn't been backing into a dark barn ( don't know why I didn't turn on the lights or open up the other 12ft door?) But it really does make it a little easier. I think I will put a bright color flag on the hitch when I am trying to back to it, cause it all looks black so was a little hard determining exactlly where I was at. Quick spruce up, ( don't want the rv guy to think I am a dirty trailer owner) so that I can have it at the place by 8 am....
Old 04-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #16

Actually Alf, I called him this afternoon about installing a brake controller in my new truck. So he will go thru all of that. I wasn't thinking about it before but figure get it done now, hopefully I have covered all my base's. Thankfully I don't have a long way to go to take the trailer to him, I think I need a new hitch as well, trailer is riding a little high with the new truck. But since the rv place is a hitch place as well, he should be able to cover that. Just today I had another person highly recommend this guy for his hitches, so I feel pretty good about giving up control of the Casita for the day. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Robin
Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #17

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
While the hubs and brake drums are off, this would be a good time to make sure the brakes are in good condition, adjusted properly and actually working.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
This video shows how to do it.
The only thing is he is working under the trailer with only a bottle jack holding it up.

Folks, use a jack stand. Working under any vehicle supported by only a jack, while nothing may happen 99 times, it only takes once for horrible consequences.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 1977 17 ft Boler / 07 FJ Cruiser
Registry
I'd also suggest watch thr person who will be doing repacking and ask questions. I could not imagine it's so simple. Next time I'm doing it myself.
D Kovetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #20

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
We're going to have to do this to ours and I have been meaning to take a pic of ours because ours don't look like some I've seen online in the videos. Ours seem to have something extra sticking out in the center and I have no clue what it is.
I know this is an old post but I'm sure others are getting their campers ready now for summertime.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote