HDTV Antennas - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Umm, I've heard of potable water, but a potable antenna? So you plan to drink your antenna... just kidding!

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #16

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Michael:
You should get out more. Never heard of a "potable antenna?" Amazing.
Carol:
Yes, it is an old one all right, but as it turns out I have started to deal with this issue in the past couple of days. Here is where I am at the moment: I had made a clothes hanger antenna a while ago and tested it, found it to be very good when connected to my basement monitor/TV. Turns out it wasn't needed since I discovered that my son had left a second antenna installed on the roof before he moved out (geek). I considered one of those "boomerang" deals, but the price is pretty high. I have one of the Winegard Sensar antennas on the trailer and have struggled with it to little effect. So I dragged out my 26" double-duty Samsung from my computer setup, plugged it in to the Winegard, got nothing until I turned on the amplifier and rotated the antenna to best effect. Two channels out of many and quite iffy at that. (The location is not so good, with some trees and buildings compromising the signal path.

So, I hooked up the clothes hanger thingy, laid it on the counter, and EVERYTHING came in as clear as a bell. That got my attention. I have decided to remake the antenna, using 1/2" wide anodized aluminum stock instead of the clothes hangers, mount them on 3/8" thick acrylic and fasten them with S.S. machine screws.

The plan is to locate/store the antenna on the inside of the rear gravel guard but to make it so that it can quickly be put on a pole to elevate it and mount it near the opening of the rear window so I can just reach out to rotate it while watching "The Bachelorette" or something. I have already tried the old one in that position and it works very well. When I have made it, mounted it, and tested it I will document it here with prose and pictures for all to see.

It has been one of my fondest dreams to ditch that heavy, ugly, ineffectual, air-flow-resistant Winegard monster. Now that looks doable to me, so the only thing left is to upgrade that Samsung, which is much too small.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #17

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Quote:
I have been looking at an amplified antenna at Wal-Mart, that I could mount on a pole next to my Scamp??? Of course it needs and electrical connect, not sure I will all ways have electricity or even if an amplilfied antenna is necessary or worth it????
Hi John,
I got a Winegard Sensar and mounted it on a telescoping pole (paint dept. at Home Depot). The pole is about 10 ft. when extended and tucks nicely behind the trailer when traveling. The pole is attached with u-bolts to the spare tire rack. Works good and is simple to deploy. Here are some shots of the install:

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
TV_Antenna2.JPG   TV_Antenna3.JPG  

Old 06-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #18

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check the following site:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse...nas/0000000768
Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
LOL I just thought that one of the amazing DIY folks on the list might have come up with a super model using PCV pipe that breaks down to nothing to pack in the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Hi John,
I got a Winegard Sensar and mounted it on a telescoping pole (paint dept. at Home Depot). The pole is about 10 ft. when extended and tucks nicely behind the trailer when traveling. The pole is attached with u-bolts to the spare tire rack. Works good and is simple to deploy. Here are some shots of the install:

Ron
Thanks Per and Ron, my trailer had a Winegard when I got it but never thought I would want to use it so made the hole bigger where it was an installed a new fan there instead. Ron your idea looks like something I could put together. Keep us posted Per on your idea. It sounds intreasting.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #21

Name: Fran L and Dave W
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
New Mexico
Registry
Do you have to supply power to this antenna or just plug it into the external cable connector?
Fran
Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I had good luck with one of these
Winegard HA-0130 Hideaway Antenna : Amazon.com : Automotive
no power needed, has built in amplifier
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.asp.jpeg  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #23

New Mexico
Registry
Looks neat - and simple! How do you mount it - just a pole someplace? Is it attached to your trailer?
Fran
Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
anywhere you want, get some suction handles and attach to side of trailer, install on a 8' piece of plastic 1" pipe cut in 4' sections- works like a charm.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #25

New Mexico
Registry
Do you have a photo? I'm not sure I understand why the 8' pvc pipe is cut into two 4' sections. Having a hard time visualizing - new to this.
Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #26

Pennsylvania
Registry
it is easier to carry 2x4' pieces vs 1 8' piece, you then screw them together
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00555.JPG   DSC00016.jpg  

Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #27

Pennsylvania
Registry
If interested I would sell you mine since I no longer use it. I'd have to check on shipping, probably cheaper at amazon and you buy the pipe local.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #28

New Mexico
Registry
Thanks for the photos - that helps. I was thinking that transport was the reason for the two 4' sections. I can get the antenna on Amazon for $50 with no cost shipping so you are probably right that it would cost less to just buy it new and get the pipe locally. But if you want to sell it for say $25 plus shipping then it would be worth it to us for the convenience of having the setup all done already. We are in NM and in no rush so slow shipping would be fine. Let me know....