Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a mid 80's 13" scamp. Is their a pilot light on the furnace that must be lit to make the furnace work? And is it on the inside of the trailer see photo http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/imp...an63/123031.jpg
Also whats the proper order for starting the furnace.
I don't want to blow up.
1 Turn on propane
2 Set thermostat
3 Light pilot light
4 Sit back and relax
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
My '83 Scamp furnace has solid state ignition & lites automatically as long as I have 12 volt battery power. With gas on, you toggle the switch below the thermostat control that turns on the furnace, set the thermostat so that the fan turns on, and after a moment the furnace lites.

Your front grill looks exactly like mine, check and see if your thermostat coverplate says "Solid State Ignition" just above the temp gauge.

For the record...here's the topic directly from a Scamp Owners Manual...

"Furnace: Before operating the furnace, first read the Suburban owners information manual. In the instruction manual there is one error, the valve has been deleted from furnace construction.
The front grille does not need to be removed. This model furnace does not have a pilot light; do not attempt to light it. The easiest way to start it is: 1) Make sure that the gas is turned on at the tank. 2) On the thermostat, turn the switch on the bottom to the “On” position. 3) Set the thermostat to the desired setting. The furnace should react by first having the fan come on, second the furnace should try to light. A small click will be heard when the furnace tries to light. When first starting the furnace sometimes this cycle needs to be repeated several times to get ignition. If the furnace does not initially light make sure the lines are well bled. Air trapped in the lines will stop the furnace from lighting properly. A good way to remove air form lines is to light the stove top and leave it on for several minutes. After furnace ignition, look in the lower left hand corner of the furnace; the flame should be visible. Shortly after ignition the furnace should begin to blow heated air."

Have your fire extinguisher handy just in case...
ConwayBob
Old 09-28-2007, 05:26 AM   #3

Registry
Bob H
Thanks for the tip. This is the information I was looking for.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #4

Registry
Bob H
It says 12 volt hook up.
Will it work on 120 land line?
Also how many amps will this draw?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Kevin, do you have a converter in your trailer? If so, you will be fine with shore power. Turn convertor on and it will take the 120v and convert to 12v and power your heater.

I noted in another thread you didn't want to put a battery in your rig. That may be fine for what you stated you wanted to do, which was run the fridge while underway.. BUT.. I would not recommend running your heater this way when parked and attached to your car battery. You'll be left stranded for sure.

The fan needs to run when the furnace is ignited. How much current is needed for that.. you'll have to look at your (or A) manual.

If you don't have a converter, I would rethink about putting the deep cycle battery in your rig.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Gina's got it right -- The furnace fan is notorious in the RV world for running down BOTH batteries in extended cold. OTOH, if you are camping where there is *reliable* shore power, and have a converter, your fan is covered (this is the sort of thing converters were designed to do!).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote