Heater choices.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Heater choices....

I camped twice last summer with nighttime temps in the 40's and was very cold in my Compact Jr without insulation.

I've added Reflectix and would like to get a heater that doesn't use a fan.

My ceramic heater puts out nice heat but the noise keeps me awake.

Here are two I've found online and wonder if anyone here is familiar with either of them:

http://www.techcrazy.net/Optimus-LVH-4200S-Dish-Heater-14-Oscillating-wit-p/optimush4200s.htm

http://www.techcrazy.net/Optimus-H-6002-Mini-Portable-Oil-Filled-Radiator-H-p/optimush6002.htm

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
post.insulation.1.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I wouldn't use a radiant heater inside the trailer. Too easy to have flammable items too close to the dish. The back gets really hot too; I use a big one in my unheated shop and the dog absolutely loves it.......

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dido what tractors1 said except for the dog part. Dont have a dog.

The oil filled radiator really works great. Warms up and remains hot. Have used one for 30 years. No Noise, Just heat.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I use the Mr. Buddy propane heater. Works great for our Scamp.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #5

Both sold at WalMart:
Had one similuar to this and it worked great. Mine Had a turnover and over heat safety cutoff.
Comfort Zone Howard Berger Co Electric Radiant Baseboard Heater, CZ600 - Walmart.com

This also looks good:
Cozy Products tailCozy Legs 150 Watt Radiant Flat Panel Electric Space Heater - Walmart.com

papa-ts Buddy Heater is great also.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have both the Mr Heater Buddy and the Little Buddy but won't run them in the trailer without a window open and never run them while sleeping. We use an electric heater with fan, learned to sleep through the noise. A funny thing though, bought one electric heater at Lowes or Walmart and it had a burnt smell that wouldn't go away. Thought it was because it was new so let it run outside for a few hours. Still smelled, called the manufacturers customer service and they said take it back to the store which we did and bought a different brand. We now have 4 different little electric heaters we use between camper and screen room. Only annoying issue to me is the thermostat differential, the temperature difference from when they shut off automatically to when it turns back on, too much for my liking to maintain an even heat.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have a baseboard-style radiant heater and it works great. Takes up a fair bit of floor space, but it's been fine otherwise. One thing about mine is that its temp control seems to be timer based instead of actually temperature based... so the colder it gets, the more I need to turn it up. I've had this unit for perhaps 20 years, doubt they make it anymore. But several companies make similar baseboard style models.

I would advise against an infrared type radiant heater (that dish thing looks like it might be infrared) because the heat is so directional. But a plain radiant heater like the oil filled ones or my old metal-plate baseboard unit is hard to beat for a small trailer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We use an electric heater with fan, learned to sleep through the noise.

I'm with Mary and Bob. On the rare occasions I need heat, I use a Pelonis Disk Ceramic Heater. I typically sleep wit ear plugs so I don't hear a thing. And the noise does not bother my significant other.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-02-2014, 04:37 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i recently installed a wave3 heater in my casita. mounted on the bathroom door and takes up no floor space. it's plumbed into the propane system of the trailer so, if i have propane i have heat. tonight the first freeze of the season is expected in sc and because the heat in my house is on vacation i've a feeling i'll give the little heater it's first test in my carport.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
i recently installed a wave3 heater in my casita. mounted on the bathroom door and takes up no floor space. it's plumbed into the propane system of the trailer so, if i have propane i have heat. tonight the first freeze of the season is expected in sc and because the heat in my house is on vacation i've a feeling i'll give the little heater it's first test in my carport.

p@
I must be missing something ! How does one mount and pipe in a propane heater that is mounted to a moveable object (Door) 1) How do you open the door with piping attached? 2) What happens if the door swings to the open position while the heater is operating ? 3) Are we depending on the bathroom door latch to keep the heater in the proper operating position. Just curious?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I must be missing something ! How does one mount and pipe in a propane heater that is mounted to a moveable object (Door) 1) How do you open the door with piping attached? 2) What happens if the door swings to the open position while the heater is operating ? 3) Are we depending on the bathroom door latch to keep the heater in the proper operating position. Just curious?

Possibly using a flexible hose???
Not sure that meets RV codes. Malfunction could give a whole new meaning to the expression "Hot $#!+"

Old 11-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita
wave 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Possibly using a flexible hose???
Not sure that meets RV codes. Malfunction could give a whole new meaning to the expression "Hot $#!+"

I didn't mount my W3 on the bath door, but made a permanent mount. However, I was concerned that the bath door might be left in the open position and be too close to the heater. (17' SD) So, with a hanging weight lash-up I came up with an automatic door closer. Pretty easy to do.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
well, as other's have guessed the gas supply is flexible propane hose. it joins with the copper supply line from the tanks inside the cabinet under the seat. the flex hose incorporates a manual shut off valve as well as an emergency valve. i've used these type hoses with outdoor gas grills for years without issues. they're also used with propane powered fork lifts and other warehouse devices which is where i originally learned about them. it's a standard part off the shelf at the pro supply dealers.

opening the door while the heater is on doesn't seem to be a problem. i've only driveway camped with this mod so far. i went in and out of the bathroom several times while it was on, stepped inside pulling the door shut behind me and exiting pretty much the same. i mean, the heater may get close to the perpendicular surface, but not for very long. would i leave the door open with the heater on?... no.

and yes, i'm gonna depend on the bathroom door latch to keep everything in place while camped. while i may not get it totally plumb, i do get the casita level enough that the doors don't swing of their own accord. i have a slight concern about the door's willingness to remain shut underway and will have to get back with you on that (i've a trip scheduled for thanksgiving).
Attached Thumbnails
wave3.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #14

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
If that hose is what it appears to be it is an accordian type metal hose. I'm not sure that hose is designed to be constantly flexed. I'd be concerned that metal fatigue from many open/close cycles of the door might cause it to crack. Were it to do so... well you see where I'm going with that.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
If that hose is what it appears to be it is an accordian type metal hose. I'm not sure that hose is designed to be constantly flexed. I'd be concerned that metal fatigue from many open/close cycles of the door might cause it to crack. Were it to do so... well you see where I'm going with that.

That, and it already looks kinked.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Also the changeover or connection from the flexible gas piping to the gas source piping is supposed to be exposed .The connection is not to be made inside a wall ceiling , or cabinet . IE ;Concealed
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #17

Registry
steve, metal fatigue would be a drag. however, since i'll only be using the unit when there's no 'tricity hookup (why use my propane when i can use their ac power for my cube heater?) i can keep it unconnected most of the time and limit the number of opening & closings. i'll keep an eye on it and trust the propane detector and the emergency shut off valves.

p@
Old 01-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #18

Registry
ok... i'm here to eat a generous portion of humble pie. those of you who cautioned me regarding the use of the flexible metal hose to connect the wave3 were totally correct. it didn't last very long. i'm into the first week of a 2 month or so trip and yesterday i discovered a rather ugly hole in the hose. amazon is shipping me a rubber replacement and i'm hoping that will get me thru this trip. after that i may reconsider relocating the little heater. so much for following the advice of a counter worker at the supply store. fortunately i wasn't trying to use the heater when i noticed the problem (i have electric hook up at this campground and was using their electricity for the space heater instead of my propane).

p@
Old 01-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #19

The problem with Counter Workers is that they are Counter Workers.
When it comes to GAS or Electricity, Get your advice from a Person that has the training and certifications. You are really lucky to be alive.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #20

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina