Heater Help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: Sarah
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Heater Help!

Hello Everyone,
So I never tested my heater when I bought it , and am just getting around to it, of course I cant get her working! I have read a bunch of threads on here and downloaded a few of the Suburban manuals hoping I could get her fired up, but no luck yet, and none of the manuals look like my heater when I take the vent off.

First of all I was hoping someone could help me figure out what model Suburban heater I have. I have read a lot about the NT12SE on the forum, but mine looks like it says NT12 MEF?!? Is that a thing?

Second, maybe you have some more insight in how to fire her up. I was plugged in and had the propane on, all other lights off as to prevent lag in the fan, ran the burners on the stove to get air bubbles out of the propane lines, and check to make sure the gas line to the furnace was on. I also cleared a few wasps nests out of the vents! Then when I turned the thermostat on the fan kicks on, goes for a few seconds, clicks to try and ignite, and nothing happens. I let it cycle through 3 attempts to ignite and nothing, turned it off at the thermostat and then tried it again. Still nothing. I did this a few times through a few different days hoping that it would cooperate another day...
I opened up the little window that is held closed by a wing nut and couldn't smell any propane, I was thinking that maybe no gas was getting to the ignitor?

Any thought or advice would be great! I had an RV repair guy look at it and all he did was run it through a few cycles with no luck, and complain about how old my trailer was the whole time. Told me to just take out the heater and throw it away!

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed-1.jpg  
summooreplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Is there a small red button on the heater gas control? Might just need to purge air between stove and heater. Don't know anything about your specific heater but on mine I can hold in a small red button with the gas knob in light position and purge the line until I smell propane.

Mine does not have a blower however. The fact that it tries to light pilot but does not makes me think maybe no gas? Or is this one that you have to light the pilot before it will even work?

Hopefully you did not run over the RV guys foot with your "old camper" on the way out, even though he totally deserved it. Nothing says customer dissatisfied with attitude like running over the service persons foot.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #3

Name: Sarah
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Is there a small red button on the heater gas control? Might just need to purge air between stove and heater. Don't know anything about your specific heater but on mine I can hold in a small red button with the gas knob in light position and purge the line until I smell propane
Nope no red button, no buttons at all! Just a on off valve under the cabinet on the line going into the furnace. I tried using my bbq lighter to fire it up but that wouldn't catch either....

As far as the RV guy goes... I should have! He made it very clear he hates working on these old guys!! AND didn't even fix anything! Oh well....

Thanks Roger!
summooreplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I can just read something on that label that says "Down For Five" is that related to starting?

My furnace has no blower but I have read that some have a safety device that gets pushed by the moving air and if the blower is not running the furnace burner won't run. Possibly some other safety features that one can trouble shoot. But since I don't have a blower the information didn't really stick in my brain.

There are some folks here that have literally rebuilt these things, should only be a matter of time before someone with some real knowledge shows up. Might want to post the make & model number & year.

Good luck!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote