Heater issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #1

Name: Rachael
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
Alaska
Heater issue

Hi, I'm struggling to figure out my heater issue. Have a forced air heater in Scamp with simple thermostat. Turn it on and heater ignites & produces nice heat. Once it gets to temp, the heater starts making a bunch of clicking noises (igniters I believe) the flame stops (makes sense because it's reached temp) blows a bit longer to cool down but once it turns off, it never maintains the set temp again. It turns on and off, just can't seem to communicate with the thermometer. Lots of clicking, lots of the fan blowing cold air. If I turn it off completely and start over, it fires fine and runs well until it reaches temp. Then gets all finicky again. Thoughts? Maybe clean igniters/flame sensor?
AKscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKscamper View Post
Hi, I'm struggling to figure out my heater issue. Have a forced air heater in Scamp with simple thermostat. Turn it on and heater ignites & produces nice heat. Once it gets to temp, the heater starts making a bunch of clicking noises (igniters I believe) the flame stops (makes sense because it's reached temp) blows a bit longer to cool down but once it turns off, it never maintains the set temp again. It turns on and off, just can't seem to communicate with the thermometer. Lots of clicking, lots of the fan blowing cold air. If I turn it off completely and start over, it fires fine and runs well until it reaches temp. Then gets all finicky again. Thoughts?
This sounds like it could be the flame sensor. I'd either clean or replace it and see if it fixes it.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

Alaska
Thanks, tips on how to do that?
Old 02-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKscamper View Post
Thanks, tips on how to do that?
First you'll have to locate the sensor. There are many different sizes but they all generally consist of a small metal rod that sits in or right next to the flame. The other end has a wire that connects to the furnace circuitry. They are generally very easy to remove with just a single screw/bracket. Once removed, clean with steel wool until it looks shiny, then just reinstall. Make sure the electrical connector is good and solid, fire it up and see if it works.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:53 AM   #5

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
This May not be of any help to you. I have the old style furnace. Pilot light. I could light it, it would heat the trailer up. cool down, but would not cycle. I would have to relight the thing. After taking it apart I found a bunch of big dead bees in the burner. It would blow out the pilot light because of the back pressure. Now it works great.
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #6

Alaska
thanks

Thanks, any input helps. I'm hoping I can start with just a good cleaning which is probably long overdue and maybe it will solve it. Mine does not have the pilot light, but could very well have a family of squirrels in there for all I know.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Hi Rachael,

This is a long thread but when you get to post #117 Scamper JIm posted a very good detailed write up on how he took his furnace apart. A little further down in the thread (post #124) you'll see where I posted a pic of my furnace after following Jim's instructions. I found a mud dauber nest inside my furnace. I now have mesh screens installed over the furnace openings to keep daubers from coming back inside.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...e-48947-9.html

You may find that you have a similar obstruction in your furnace.