Old 09-26-2006, 06:39 AM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Welcome to FiberglassRV Brian..we're glad you're here

Did you see the Northern Oregon Gathering topic? There's a group of us meeting in about three weeks...come on down and meet some great people and ask your questions face-to-face with some knowledgable folks

Click here for more info: Northern Oregon Gathering

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
I have a 17' Boler with a gravity furnace running on propane. It is direct vent so no problems with oxygen or condensation. I have put a small muff (computer) fan in the housing to get more circulation. It works very well in sub-zero weather and is almost noiseless.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #17

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier (1973 Boler project)
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
If you go snowed in for few days would you get "egg fever"?
Hi: Which is worse "Egg Fever" or "Frozen Folk" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 09-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hi.

I'm new to the forum.

I just bought a 1972 Minit (it's very similar to a Scamp or Burro or Uhaul.)

My wife and I plan to use it to camp during the ski season. We won't have shore power, so power's a concern. It has an old Wenzel Catalytic heater. I'm considering using a catalytic heater, but I'm concerned about moisture buildup.

How do you heat your trailer?

Should I use a ceramic space heater? How much power do they draw?

Should I use a furnace so I can still use propane to heat? How much power do they draw?

How bad is the condensation caused by a catalytic heater? Could it be alleviated with a ventilation fan?

Am I the only person camping in one of these things in the winter?

Any help you can provide would be great.

You can see a picture of my new trailer at http://barkernews.blogspot.com.
Recently I inquired about a Catalytic heater that was vented outside. The models are 3P12 and 6P12. I don't know who makes them but the NW US distributor can be contacted at platcat@att.net Either model is $449.45 US not including shipping. These heaters are power vented, so the exhaust byproducts (mainly water vapor and CO2) are vented outside. There should be very little unburnt gas The heater replaces room air by infiltration- air comes in through cracks around doors & windows.

There is no actual heat exchanger. The heater is a radiant heater, heats like the sun.
Good Luck with your inquiry

By the way ... The above description is a copy of what I got in my email request .I searched Google using "platcat" and found them eventually
Old 09-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
As for being white in white snow and being seen, put your name/phone/whatever onto the top of your unit. Many years ago, when there was a rash of horse trailer thefts, that is what they did so they could find them easily from a plane.

As for moisture, it isn't made by the heaters, but by us humans (majority of it is) when we exhale. That is why you do not seal tight. PLEASE get propane detectors (mount by floor) and the Co along with smoke alarms with your older units.

Cat heaters can be had for wall mounting. Any time a fan is needed, it will tax a single battery and need to be charged daily. You can not do that with running your vehicle and charging that way. Expensive and abusive to the tow vehicle. A cheap way around that is with a 4 D cell battery operated Fan that you can get at Walmart that will last at least 5 nights straight.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
It depends on if the "Frozen Folk" started cracking and making sounds. The "Egg Fever" people would really complain about the slighest ice cracking sound. They get upset about the noise dandruf maks landing on your shirt collar.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
As for being white in white snow and being seen, put your name/phone/whatever onto the top of your unit. Many years ago, when there was a rash of horse trailer thefts, that is what they did so they could find them easily from a plane.
That only works if the snow has started to thaw. Most of our trailers tend to get snow capped when in a downfall.
Click image for larger version

Name:	sno2.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	4984

If the snow is mounting its not a bad idea to brush off the top if its convenient.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snow_500.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	4983
Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 PM   #22

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I hope all your rooms are heated. Its winter coming, and you'll be in there for awhile.

I HAD a platcat. It rained inside my trailer like Portland on a December weekend.

I get much less vapor with the Wave 3, but it is a lot smaller too, with a new pad.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:09 AM   #23

Trailer: 86 Burro 17 ft Widebody
At least one carbon monoxide detector on board would be a good idea maybe two. I notice some of them are not rated for operation below 40*F.
Rick
Old 09-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #24

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Per posting #10:

Here is the updated link:

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/manua...tallmanual.pdf

These seem to be nice, but the clearance requirements would be a problem in our small rigs.

Note that the Size 8 does not have a thermostat, you have to go to a 12 for that.

Whoa! Just noticed the date on this thread. The originator probably solved their heating problems by now! Hmm. His Blog speaks about biking, but the trailer isn't mentioned...

You control your words before you speak.
After you speak, your words control you.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:06 AM   #25

Trailer: 1973 Amerigo 16 ft
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
We Just got back a few weeks ago from camping in a fire lookout 2400 feet in the air. The propane fridge was better than average--it turns out frozen boiled eggs become rubbery. (Suggestion--don't bite into one even if thawed--it's scary). My husband dropped them, and 400 feet below the lookout on rocks, the eggs bounced, and did not explode til they hit the rocks 1000 feet below.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 AM   #26

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian barker View Post
Doesn't a furnace draw a lot of current as well?

Any idea how long, say, one deep cycle marine battery would power a furnace for? I don't plan to use hook-ups...
Brian,
I installed an Atwood 8012-II propane furnace (got it from Panther RV Products ) in my EggCamper this summer. It was the smallest power draw that I could find at 1.8 amps. I haven't had any experience in real cold weather yet, but for temps in the 20-30F range works well is is fairly quiet.

I also installed solar to recharge the battery. Electric hookups are pretty rare in state and federal parks here in the northeast, so I wanted the capablilty to camp off-grid for extended periods.
Ron
Old 10-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Someone has resurrected a VERY old topic. That's okay, there's always new things to learn and keeping topics together is a good thing.

But, don't expect to hear anything from Brian: Last Activity: 08-23-2007 02:20 PM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #28

Name: Kevin
Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer (VT)
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We have the Wave 3 catalytic heater in our 16' UHaul VT. It heats up very fast and gets the trailer warm in a hurry. However, because I installed in in the old furnace location, it seems too close to the bed linen for my comfort. Therefore, we turn it on in really cold weather, making sure the blankets are pulled back. After about 10-15 minutes, we shut it off to avoid any combustible items coming close. When we have shore power, we use a ceramic heater in place of the propane heater. If you can mount the Wave 3 on the front table or a place away from combustibles, you should be fine. Keep ventilation spots open, too. We leave our bathroom ceiling vent open and have two floor vents I installed when the Wave 3 went in. Works well! (We have been in temps down to around 20 F. in South Dakota in March.)

Tags
minit