Heating my Trailer! (Minit) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
As for being white in white snow and being seen, put your name/phone/whatever onto the top of your unit. Many years ago, when there was a rash of horse trailer thefts, that is what they did so they could find them easily from a plane.
That only works if the snow has started to thaw. Most of our trailers tend to get snow capped when in a downfall.
Click image for larger version

Name:	sno2.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	4984

If the snow is mounting its not a bad idea to brush off the top if its convenient.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snow_500.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	4983
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I hope all your rooms are heated. Its winter coming, and you'll be in there for awhile.

I HAD a platcat. It rained inside my trailer like Portland on a December weekend.

I get much less vapor with the Wave 3, but it is a lot smaller too, with a new pad.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:09 AM   #23

Trailer: 86 Burro 17 ft Widebody
At least one carbon monoxide detector on board would be a good idea maybe two. I notice some of them are not rated for operation below 40*F.
Rick
Rick F. D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Per posting #10:

Here is the updated link:

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/manua...tallmanual.pdf

These seem to be nice, but the clearance requirements would be a problem in our small rigs.

Note that the Size 8 does not have a thermostat, you have to go to a 12 for that.

Whoa! Just noticed the date on this thread. The originator probably solved their heating problems by now! Hmm. His Blog speaks about biking, but the trailer isn't mentioned...

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:06 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Which is worse "Egg Fever" or "Frozen Folk" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
We Just got back a few weeks ago from camping in a fire lookout 2400 feet in the air. The propane fridge was better than average--it turns out frozen boiled eggs become rubbery. (Suggestion--don't bite into one even if thawed--it's scary). My husband dropped them, and 400 feet below the lookout on rocks, the eggs bounced, and did not explode til they hit the rocks 1000 feet below.
Elaine Broskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 AM   #26

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian barker View Post
Doesn't a furnace draw a lot of current as well?

Any idea how long, say, one deep cycle marine battery would power a furnace for? I don't plan to use hook-ups...
Brian,
I installed an Atwood 8012-II propane furnace (got it from Panther RV Products ) in my EggCamper this summer. It was the smallest power draw that I could find at 1.8 amps. I haven't had any experience in real cold weather yet, but for temps in the 20-30F range works well is is fairly quiet.

I also installed solar to recharge the battery. Electric hookups are pretty rare in state and federal parks here in the northeast, so I wanted the capablilty to camp off-grid for extended periods.
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Someone has resurrected a VERY old topic. That's okay, there's always new things to learn and keeping topics together is a good thing.

But, don't expect to hear anything from Brian: Last Activity: 08-23-2007 02:20 PM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #28

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We have the Wave 3 catalytic heater in our 16' UHaul VT. It heats up very fast and gets the trailer warm in a hurry. However, because I installed in in the old furnace location, it seems too close to the bed linen for my comfort. Therefore, we turn it on in really cold weather, making sure the blankets are pulled back. After about 10-15 minutes, we shut it off to avoid any combustible items coming close. When we have shore power, we use a ceramic heater in place of the propane heater. If you can mount the Wave 3 on the front table or a place away from combustibles, you should be fine. Keep ventilation spots open, too. We leave our bathroom ceiling vent open and have two floor vents I installed when the Wave 3 went in. Works well! (We have been in temps down to around 20 F. in South Dakota in March.)
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
minit