Hehe Frosty Sink Window Collects Water - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #15

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
When camping trailer is level but not in my driveway parked. I guess the only recall of that window I have while camping and raining is returning to the trailer while raining and having forgotten to close window. Water was running down inside of trailer along ray fur and window was only open a little bit.

I think I will call Hehr. Carol I have heard of drilling frame I think but not sure where to do this, what size drill bit and how deep to drill. Would make me nervous without guidance. I can post pic of outer window of you might be able to mark up photo, and show me how to proceed.

I could try leveling trailer as well. Right now it's leaning toward that side on my driveway which probably makes situation worse?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 08-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #16

New York
Registry
Thank you Gordon. My window is so completely different from that one in that thread, I'm not sure yet if caulk is the solution. Lets see what Hehr says.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #17

New York
Registry
I just looked on scamp site to see what I should call this window when I phone Hehr and scamp no longer sells it. Can't seem to find it on Hehr site either. Anybody know what the proper name is for this style of window?

Old 08-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #18

New York
Registry
Called Scamp. Its just an 8 by 18 crank radius window. He had no suggestions other than drilling holes but stopped short of telling me where to do it when I said I didn't know particulars of that.

So I called Hehr Kansas plant. Lady said she has to research and get back to me.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #19

New York
Registry
Here's a couple pics of my window

Attached Thumbnails
1470066945279.jpg   1470066958459.jpg  

Old 08-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
When camping trailer is level but not in my driveway parked. I guess the only recall of that window I have while camping and raining is returning to the trailer while raining and having forgotten to close window. Water was running down inside of trailer along ray fur and window was only open a little bit.

I think I will call Hehr. Carol I have heard of drilling frame I think but not sure where to do this, what size drill bit and how deep to drill. Would make me nervous without guidance. I can post pic of outer window of you might be able to mark up photo, and show me how to proceed.

I could try leveling trailer as well. Right now it's leaning toward that side on my driveway which probably makes situation worse?

I used a very small metal drill bit (as I recall only about 1/8") and only went through one piece of metal - on the outside lower window frame lip (the frame attached to the trailer) as close to the bottom of the track as I could - two holes. Just enough to allow the water to drip out of the frame.

As Gordon suggest taking to Hehr is a good idea as they may have a better suggestion but your correct the link provided and the suggestion made by Hehr to fix the window in the thread is in regards to a different window design (jalousie style windows) and not applicable as the frames are not at all the same type as what you are dealing with.

BTW I recall when I first noted the water collecting in the lower track i pulled the window right out and reinstalled it using butyl tape to see if that was the issue - when I pulled it off there was not much sealant under the frame (in fact none on the lower parts of the frame, so I hoped that would fix it. It did not fix the problem completely but I did note there was less water collecting in the lower inside frame after. When I resealed the window I did add more butyl tape to the top of the frame and the sides than what had been on it and tapering if off the amount that was on it as I came down the sides. That changed very slightly the angle the window sat on the trailer which may account for why it collected less water after I did that. It would also explain that if the trailer was not level side to side and lower on the door side why the window frame would collect more water in it as well.

Its been awhile since I did it but I seem to recall that I actually took the closing mechanism apart and cleaned it up and used some WD 40 or something similar which helped it close a bit tighter. That also reduced the water intake a bit. Which suggests the seal on the the frame where the frame portion on the trailer and the moving frame of the actual window itself meet was/is not as good as it could have been.

Good luck with it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As Gordon suggest taking to Hehr is a good idea as they may have a better suggestion but your correct the link provided and the suggestion made by Hehr to fix the window in the thread is in regards to a different window design (jalousie style windows) and not applicable as the frames are not at all the same type as what you are dealing with. ...
I was thinking more that Hehr windows in general are not intended to be totally water tight but instead are designed to have water drip through and out of engineered channels which are put in for that purpose. I could be wrong though!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I was thinking more that Hehr windows in general are not intended to be totally water tight but instead are designed to have water drip through and out of engineered channels which are put in for that purpose. I could be wrong though!
Nope you not wrong Gordon that is how most Hehr windows are designed to work.

But in the case of the type/style of the OP's window and ones Scamp used for a number of years in the side bathrooms, Hehr did not put any engineered channels for the water to exit. Once water gets into the inside lower track it has no way of exiting - unless the track fills right up and it spills over the edge of the frame and into the trailer. Thats actually how I first discovered mine had the same issue, walked into the bathroom one very rainy night and my feet got wet.

I do not think Hehr ever intended for this type of window to be put on the side of a curved trailer. It probable does not let any water in when mounted on a flat sided trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #23

New York
Registry
I sent lady at Hehr all of my pics. She had no immediate answer for me on phone. Needs to see pics and do more research she said. I might just take it out and redo the butyl at some point but drilling the holes sounds like the only thing that will fix this issue as there's no place for the water to exit otherwise. I have DeWalt pilot point drill bits, but think I'd leave that to someone with more drill acumen than I. One slip and off she goes into the FG.

She's out of the office tomorrow but I already have a sneaking suspicion that I'm not going to get any answers from her.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #24

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
I got excellent Customer Service from Hehr. Yes, I waited while the representative did her research AND took a week of vacation. I felt that was fine as we then had multiple emails back and forth and all my questions were satisfactorily answered. Just saying...
Old 08-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #25

New York
Registry
That's great to hear Triker. I hope to experience the same.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I'm sure the windows were designed to be installed vertically. Since the surface that the window is mounted is not vertical you going to have problems when the gasket gets old and no longer seals as good as it once did. Drains, and drilled holes used as drains help relieve the water that the seal leaks when it can no longer stop the intrusion. Its not like slider windows with exposed tracks with built in drains to relieve excess water. The more vertical you mount the window the better off you will be. My 1986 frosted stove top window is really bad in this respect as installed by the factory the frame channels water to the inside since the frame leans back towards the inside.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #27

New York
Registry
This all makes sense Carol and Steve. My gasket is in great shape although I did have to get black gasket adhesive last year to reglue it in place in spots. I assumed that was from water entry.

Today lady at Hehr is supposed to be getting back to me. I'll post if I hear anything.

Carol the holes you mention drilling...this would be in lower frame of the window itself correct? As in the window that cranks out?

Old 08-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
If you know the window is as sealed to the body as it's ever going to get and you don't want to drill holes, buy some EZ Gutter and place it over the top of the window. Leave enough room between the bottom of the gutter and the top of the window (1/2") so you can easily clean there.

Google is your friend when buying a EZ Gutter in smaller lengths.

Essential Products RV & Marine - EZE RV Gutters

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote