Hehe Frosty Sink Window Collects Water - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hehe Frosty Sink Window Collects Water

Hi Friends,

I've wondered about this water pooling on inside lower tracks of my Scamp13 frosty sink window. Closed during a rain I get water next to outside weatherstripping and then also in inner track right next to it.

Not running down window glass as this is all dry as a bone.

I wondered...am I missing thin weatherstripping in that little slot on outer window edge as shown in pic? Otherwise that little slot seems kind of useless.

Water doesn't get in trailer yet but it certainly fills in lower tracks good! Please help as this doesn't seem right. Called Scamp and they said to drill two little holes...not sure where or how that's going to help.

Please help if you will!

Warmly,
Wendy

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1469993218244.jpg  
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

New York
Registry
PS. Hoping someone with a Scamp 13 with similar problem might share soon!

Old 07-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Have you cleaned the drain holes in the bottom track?
Old 07-31-2016, 03:15 PM   #4

New York
Registry
There are no weep holes in this style of Hehr window. Only in my rear slider Hehr. None in my Hehr awning windows either.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I went and looked at mine, Wendy. Exact same window. There is no rubber on the tip-out section, but there is a wide rubber gasket around the frame that appears to mate with the two raised ridges. The gasket has a gap in the bottom center that appears to let water drain. A thunderstorm just passed through. There is water around the gasket, but the inside track, which is raised a little, is dry as a bone.

Here's the outside, which looks just like yours (except not so clean!).
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1470002550.768686.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	98106

And a shot from the inside. You can make out the rubber gasket with a gap in the middle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1470002572.097377.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	98107

It does appear to collect water, and I think it may be because the window is tilted a little inboard above the belly band. It does not seem to get into, or past, the raised inner track.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:36 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Can't tell from the photos but looks like maybe your windows are a little different, but still this thread might be helpful.

Seems to me, if water stays in the channel and the camper stays dry, thats good enough.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #7

New York
Registry
Hi Jon,

Thank you so much for writing. I need to pick your brains here to help me make out your pic and further assess my situation.

Does the inside of your lower window glass have some sort of black single vinyl weather strip, as in no ridges? Like you'd see on a car window? It appears to.

Water collects in mine in outer section in front of weather strip yes, but also right behind it in a sort of track. Water does NOT collect further back in the rearmost area, near where the metal scissor arms crank out to open the window. Per your pic, one thing that is different is the lack of a break or split in the weatherstripping on the bottom. It is one continuous piece. I'll take better pics and post.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:46 PM   #8

New York
Registry
Thanks Gordon. I sure hope so! Here's some more pics. Don't know if they'll help. Water just sits right in front of black weather strip and right behind it in that track. But it is loaded with water after rain! I have to open and dry out with towel.
Attached Thumbnails
1470005150879.jpg   1470005164736.jpg  

1470005179766.jpg  
Old 07-31-2016, 05:02 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wendy, it looks to me like they changed the type of rubber gasket. Yours is definitely different than mine. Now that I see yours better, I wonder if Scamp wants you to drill holes in the outer gasket to allow water trapped in between the two ribs to escape.

I'm not understanding your question about the "lower window glass." There is nothing on the part of the window that moves, just metal.

I'm of Gordon's mind, though- if it's not getting into the innermost track or into the trailer, the window is doing what it is supposed to do.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

New York
Registry
Thanks Jon. My wording was terrible. I'll try again. The window pane glass. At the lower most edge of the glass, do you have some sort of vinyl strip seal sticking out from the glass horizontally pointing inward toward the inside of trailer? Hope that makes sense.

Perhaps this is ok but truthfully a pain in the butt. If I weren't so fastidious that water would just sit in there after a rain. Last year I had to buy 3M black weather strip adhesive as the glue on the weatherstripping lost its adhesion. Most likely due to being wet from rains at times.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Wendy, maybe you could cut a narrow notch in the bottom part of the gasket so the pooled water would drain to the outside, like it does on the picture that Jon posted. If that does not work, you could restore the gasket with black caulk, so it looks the same again.
Also, you can pop that screen out easily from inside and dry it out with a paper towel from inside. Then again, you probably figured that out. The only window like that is in the shower of my Scamp. Tomorrow I'll take a look at it in daylight.
Paul
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:57 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
There are no weep holes in this style of Hehr window. Only in my rear slider Hehr. None in my Hehr awning windows either.

I have water in rains collecting a bit in the bottom of window track or what ever it called. That water has never come inside so it's NOT something to worry about.

I just checked my 2006 prefire standard 13' Scamp.
One opening rear window 2 weep holes
Two side windows over the bed/dinette 2 weep holes each
One window in the door 2 weep holes.
One front window non opening NO weep holes
On frosted window over the stove opens but no weep holes.
All but the front window are Hehr.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Wendy I had the same type of window in my Scamps bathroom and water also collected on the bottom inside track as well. Seemed to happen when the trailer was not level side to side even after I pulled the window and resealed it.

I ended up drilling two small holes from the outside on the bottom frame to allow the water to drain out of the lower track - it worked and kept it from overflowing into the trailer. The holes work the same as the factory installed drains with the covers on them on the other windows.

Sorry no pics of it as I do not have the Scamp any more.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
If it were my trailer, I would call Hehr before I started drilling holes.

As you read in the thread that I linked to, for a similar leaking Hehr window issue, Scamp initially gave advice that was very different from that provided by the actual manufacture of the window.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #15

New York
Registry
When camping trailer is level but not in my driveway parked. I guess the only recall of that window I have while camping and raining is returning to the trailer while raining and having forgotten to close window. Water was running down inside of trailer along ray fur and window was only open a little bit.

I think I will call Hehr. Carol I have heard of drilling frame I think but not sure where to do this, what size drill bit and how deep to drill. Would make me nervous without guidance. I can post pic of outer window of you might be able to mark up photo, and show me how to proceed.

I could try leveling trailer as well. Right now it's leaning toward that side on my driveway which probably makes situation worse?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #16

New York
Registry
Thank you Gordon. My window is so completely different from that one in that thread, I'm not sure yet if caulk is the solution. Lets see what Hehr says.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #17

New York
Registry
I just looked on scamp site to see what I should call this window when I phone Hehr and scamp no longer sells it. Can't seem to find it on Hehr site either. Anybody know what the proper name is for this style of window?

Old 08-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #18

New York
Registry
Called Scamp. Its just an 8 by 18 crank radius window. He had no suggestions other than drilling holes but stopped short of telling me where to do it when I said I didn't know particulars of that.

So I called Hehr Kansas plant. Lady said she has to research and get back to me.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #19

New York
Registry
Here's a couple pics of my window

Attached Thumbnails
1470066945279.jpg   1470066958459.jpg  

Old 08-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
When camping trailer is level but not in my driveway parked. I guess the only recall of that window I have while camping and raining is returning to the trailer while raining and having forgotten to close window. Water was running down inside of trailer along ray fur and window was only open a little bit.

I think I will call Hehr. Carol I have heard of drilling frame I think but not sure where to do this, what size drill bit and how deep to drill. Would make me nervous without guidance. I can post pic of outer window of you might be able to mark up photo, and show me how to proceed.

I could try leveling trailer as well. Right now it's leaning toward that side on my driveway which probably makes situation worse?

I used a very small metal drill bit (as I recall only about 1/8") and only went through one piece of metal - on the outside lower window frame lip (the frame attached to the trailer) as close to the bottom of the track as I could - two holes. Just enough to allow the water to drip out of the frame.

As Gordon suggest taking to Hehr is a good idea as they may have a better suggestion but your correct the link provided and the suggestion made by Hehr to fix the window in the thread is in regards to a different window design (jalousie style windows) and not applicable as the frames are not at all the same type as what you are dealing with.

BTW I recall when I first noted the water collecting in the lower track i pulled the window right out and reinstalled it using butyl tape to see if that was the issue - when I pulled it off there was not much sealant under the frame (in fact none on the lower parts of the frame, so I hoped that would fix it. It did not fix the problem completely but I did note there was less water collecting in the lower inside frame after. When I resealed the window I did add more butyl tape to the top of the frame and the sides than what had been on it and tapering if off the amount that was on it as I came down the sides. That changed very slightly the angle the window sat on the trailer which may account for why it collected less water after I did that. It would also explain that if the trailer was not level side to side and lower on the door side why the window frame would collect more water in it as well.

Its been awhile since I did it but I seem to recall that I actually took the closing mechanism apart and cleaned it up and used some WD 40 or something similar which helped it close a bit tighter. That also reduced the water intake a bit. Which suggests the seal on the the frame where the frame portion on the trailer and the moving frame of the actual window itself meet was/is not as good as it could have been.

Good luck with it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote