Hehr on Scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 16 Ft layout 6
Wisconsin
Hehr on Scamp

I have a 2011 Scamp with Hehr sliding windows that the toggle latch seldom holds the window closed when traveling down bumpy roads. I have used duck tape to try to restrain the toggle in the locked position. This sometime works but mostly does not, maybe a 50/50 chance of holding. I have searched the forum data base but did not find any fix, or maybe parts to purchase to the same. Has anyone found a fix for this issue? Maybe an additional latch one can purchase or fashion from a common hardware part from a hardware store.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Old 08-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in De Pere View Post
I have a 2011 Scamp with Hehr sliding windows that the toggle latch seldom holds the window closed when traveling down bumpy roads. I have used duck tape to try to restrain the toggle in the locked position. This sometime works but mostly does not, maybe a 50/50 chance of holding. I have searched the forum data base but did not find any fix, or maybe parts to purchase to the same. Has anyone found a fix for this issue? Maybe an additional latch one can purchase or fashion from a common hardware part from a hardware store.

Thanks in advance

Jim

I can see how that latch might fail.. What about a small piece of wood (stick) wedged in between the sliding window and the opposite frame?

Old 08-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I know one of mine was very loose as well. I do not have the trailer any longer to check but I seem to recall there was a screw on the side of the latch that I had to tighten up and I may have actually changed the screw out to something larger to keep it snug.

You could also give Hehr a call they should be able to help you. Might want to call Scamp first and ask what the model number on the windows used was first - Hahr make a LOT of different windows.
Carol H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #4

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Casita rear windows sometimes have the same issue on older trailers. An adjustable spring loaded curtain rod between the frame and window works well to keep the window closed.
Eddie

Tags
scamp