Hehr window question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Question Hehr window question

We're just back from a 3 week trip with our LiteHouse 4 Two, to the upper midwest. I was problem free except for a couple of annoying leaks. I found and fixed one leak (the vent hose had come off the water tank), and while I think I have identified the source of the 2nd leak, I'm having trouble finding the wisdom and parts to fix it.

The leak seems to be around the front (facing the back of the truck) "emergency exit" window. Water seems to be coming in there during heavy rains. We fixed it temporarily with some Gorilla tape, but I need to find a longer lasting fix.

The window is made by Hehr, and I suspect is one of their "Rockguard" windows. I'm assuming that the proper fix will involve removing and replacing the existing gasket, and perhaps, pulling, re-caulking and reinstalling the window.

My problem is that while I have found a bunch of companies which sell gasket materials, I can't figure out exactly what I should order. I can't find a link for spare parts on the Hehr site.

Does anyone have a suggestion of where I might look?

Thanks,
Davie
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Davie, we recently removed our Hehr rear window which includes an emergency exit window sash on the driver's side. We have it disassembled and have ordered and received all of the seals. if you post a picture maybe I can help you figure it out.

John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #3

Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7298.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	121759
Attachment 1

Thanks John.

I think that the problem is with the gasket I’m pointing toward. It’s sort of foam and doesn’t spring back when poked.

Where did you find the gaskets?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

Michigan
Registry
Also it helps if you can find the window model number. On our Hehr windows the model number is stamped on the top surface of the sill. Here is an example:
Attached Thumbnails
hehr window model.jpg  
Old 07-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #5

Registry
I’m not sure where the food pix came from, but it looks tasty.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #6

Michigan
Registry
We bought a similar seal from Pelland Enterprises for our Boler 17. For the Trillium 4500 rear window that I mentioned earlier, we bought all of the seals from Vintage Trailer Gaskets, but that was a much different window design from 1978.

Generally the best way to do it is to remove the seal and examine the profile, THEN order samples to determine whether you found a match.

Also, have you checked with the trailer manufacturer?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #7

Registry
I’m off to a meeting of my whiskey club this evening but will look for the model number tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
All-Rite and Vintage Trailer Gaskets have sent us free samples.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
We bought a similar seal from Pelland Enterprises for our Boler 17. For the Trillium 4500 rear window that I mentioned earlier, we bought all of the seals from Vintage Trailer Gaskets, but that was a much different window design from 1978.

Generally the best way to do it is to remove the seal and examine the profile, THEN order samples to determine whether you found a match.

Also, have you checked with the trailer manufacturer?

Thanks John. That sounds like good advice. I’ll pull the window and get a better understanding about what’s going on.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer went out of business after building a very few units.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #10

Michigan
Registry
Well DW pointed out that even if the camper manufacturer were still in business, you would want to contact the window manufacturer for info re the seal.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #11

Registry
I got back to this project today. There are two self adhesive gaskets, one on the inner window frame and one on the window itself.

Name:	IMG_3845.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	122274

The two gaskets press against each other when the window is closed.

Both gaskets are continuous and have an adhesive back.

The gasket on the frame is dry and cracked. The one on the window is better.

The gasket between the trailer shell and the window frame looks good and I cleaned the weep holes recently.

I’m going for the low hanging fruit and replacing the two adhesive gaskets first.

Name:	IMG_3846.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	122275
Old 09-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #12

Registry
An update: I contacted the manufacturer who sent me to a company called Parkin. I sent them a small piece of each of the gaskets but they were unable to find a match. I’ve ordered a bunch of samples from VTS and hopefully will find something that works.

In the meantime, I have a question. Does anyone have a similar window (Hehr emergency exit window) in their camper, and if so, what kind of gaskets does it use?
Old 09-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Try steelerubberparts.com, they may have something you could use.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #14

Michigan
Registry
Davie, we have an emergency exit window on our Trillium 4500. The only seal on it is a small y seal (Hehr part #009-289) on all 4 sides. Also, a header seal runs across the top. Here is a picture of it (the left half of the rear window).
Attached Thumbnails
trillium rear (1).jpg  
Old 09-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Those rubber gaskets that press against each other. I don't know if they were original or not. But what I do know if that they are a very common type of gasket you can find in the weatherstripping section of hardware stores and also at Home Depot and Lowes. Not surprised you don't see them online in RV window supply stores since they are not from that type of source. But the good news is that they are very easy to find.

I have prowled that weatherstripping section of the stores for a lot of years, way too many times
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #16

Registry
Thanks all. I believe I have a sample of the Y gasket coming in my VTS order. I will also check out the gasket aisle at Lowe’s and will check out the website that Mary and Bob pointed me to.