Hehr windows ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Hehr windows ?

My new-to-me 1978 Scamp 13 has two rear side Hehr windows.

The window "operators" are wore out and need replacing. They are mounted on the side of the window frame, and I believe are PN 008-191 & 192.

Is it possible to remove and replace these operators without removing the windows from the shell?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bill, see if this thread helps. Danny completely rebuilt the jalousies on his Scamp, but I bet you'll find the information you need and part numbers: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-41003.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bill, see if this thread helps. Danny completely rebuilt the jalousies on his Scamp, but I bet you'll find the information you need and part numbers: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-41003.html
Donna, thanks very much for the link to that thread! The list on part numbers for the window seals is great information, and will come in handy if my seals are shot. Which, most likely is the case!

I may have over looked the data, but I didn't read or see anything about removal of the windows operators.

So I'm still seeking that information.....

Bill
Old 03-22-2015, 11:41 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Go to post 119 and hopefully that will help you out
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-55601-9.html
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:50 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Go to post 119 and hopefully that will help you out
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-55601-9.html
Kootenaigirl,thank you very much!

That is the information that I was looking for, and there is even photos to show me the way!

Bill
Old 03-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Registry
Today I went out to check my Hehr windows to see how much of a problem it will be following the instructions contained in the link hootenaigal provided.

I discovered that the "operator" on each of my windows is attached by four rivets! Plus one windoow is aluminum colored, and one is black!

Which brings up another question that I have. I have read on this forum about the use of Acorn nuts with pop rivets. And have seen where they are used on the kitchen cabinets.

How does one go about attaching a acorn nut on the expandable end of a pop rivet? I have used small washers to back the pop rivets, but never nuts of any kind.

Just wondering...

Bill
Old 03-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Registry
The acorn nuts on a Scamp generally cannot be removed. Door hardware is an exception. The acorn nut appears to be used on the inside to give the ugly end of the pop rivet a finished look. I had a couple that looked loose and some were near rusty so I bought a bunch of stainless 1/4-20 acorn nuts to replace the interior nuts. I put a wrench on one and turned and turned but it never loosened. I then went to the outside, popped the cap off to hold the other end to remove it and found the pop rivet. So much for that exercise. Some day I may drill out the rivets and replace them with new ones and the SS nuts.

You would replace them by drilling out the original rivet from the top (usually under a removable white cap) with a 3/16" drill (They look like 3/16" rivets). It will help to have someone hold the acorn nut with a wrench or pliers to keep it from spinning when the drill digs in. Drill into the center hole of the top and just drill the head off. I don't know if you can then grab what is left of the rivet and unscrew the nut. If not, the acorn nuts are usually available either cad plated steel or stainless at a hardware store or Tractor Supply. Good luck.

Bill F
BillF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks Bill F. for the reply.

From what you have explained, it appears to me that when the factory intsalled the rivets, they just twisted an acorn nut onto the end of the deformed end of the exposed rivet. I wonder how they kept the rivet head on the outside of the roof from turning.

I can't think of any other way a acorn nut could be attached to the end of a installed rivet.

Am I missing something here?

The cabinets, and closet on my Scamp are firmly attached to the shell, so I don't believe I will need to replace those rivets. However, I can see dozens of other small rivets that will need to be driilled out, and replaced to remove rusted items like the curtain rod holderss.

Bill
Old 03-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I suspect that they pushed the acorn nuts on before they expanded the rivet. A two person operation.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I suspect that they pushed the acorn nuts on before they expanded the rivet. A two person operation.
Ah! That does make sense! Thank you David!

Now, I'll be able to sleep tonight!

Bill
Old 03-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
I read somewhere that someone threaded the rivet and the threaded the acorn nut onto the rivet. one man job but would imagine that it would be time consumming
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows