hello all....couple of questions about a big mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #1

Name: ronny
Trailer: 74 boler
British Columbia
hello all....couple of questions about a big mod

hi guys

Glad to have found this site, have a few questions for some experts. I purchased a 74 boler for 500 bucks, little 13 footer. What my plan is to do is guy the extire thing and turn it into the coolest hot dog stand to add to my business.

Now in my research of fiberglass etc has led me here to hopefully get this quesiton answered somewhat. What i'm planning on doing is opening the trailer up so the 3 sides {not the door side} have flip up openings. I would have to cut these openings out obviously. I am planning to make the openings pretty large. Plan to use a piano hinge setup with those little hydraulic window openers on my other little trailer....is this going to be possible? obviously I would have to re-inforce it somehow after making these openings.

My idea is to add a BBQ to the trailer that sits on a slider so when i open the main window {side opposite the door side}, I slide the BBQ out so it sits somewhat outside the trailer, as I would be standing pretty much at the wall of it. Would probably end up doing that whole one side in aluminum on the inside as i'm not sure about heat and fiberglass, thats why i plan to open up the trailer for maximum airflow and the bbq on outside as much as possible to push the heat away. I plan to use a small 2 burner BBQ, nothing crazy huge at all.

I'm just getting started in my plans and hoping some of you on here could provide me with some advice....I plan to document the whole operation and share it with everyone on here. Here is a a little pic of my other trailer...just an idea of what im talking about with the openings.

cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0171.jpg  
thenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
thenoob,

Anything is possible, of course, but adding the large wall openings you are thinking about will be much more involved on a Boler 13 than on your stick-built camper pictured.

This is because it's more of a monocoque structure - it gets some of its strength just from the shape and continuity of the outer shell.

Secondarily, it gets strength from the built in closet, and, to a lesser extent, from the kitchen counter/brace/upper cabinets on the other side. And also from the windows.

Somewhat counterintuitively, the shell is actually very floppy once you remove the windows and cabinets.

Fiberglass is nearly infinitely changeable, but what you are suggesting would be a "big" involved job.

Notice how in your stick-built camper, you frame in the openings? Now think about doing that on something rounded. You could shape the framing pieces, or mold them of fiberglass, but it is not going to be a quick/easy project, in my opinion. I'm presuming you basically just want a hot dog stand, not a long drawn out labor of love.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #3

British Columbia
I just saw in interesting video on youtube where the boler was being sanded down for paint. Made me believe that if I just take the windows out on all sides but open up the one side would be a much easier job, and provide almost the same airflow.

I have all winter to finish the job, was curious if it is possible which it seems it would be i think. Even if the big window was cut out but not flipped up would be a possibility, would suck not to have them flip up but I understand it would save alot of headaches. I would be relocating the cabinets and counter to the other side and would have to fll in those holes, as we would be putting a nice vinyl wrap on the bottom. Alot of work but I think it can be done. thank you for your input!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #4

British Columbia
Just removing the windows i understand would make it very floppy as i saw in the video...although would not be used for camping etc, would like to find a way to strengthen it up as I dont want it too floppy. hahaha dilemas
Old 09-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Could you cut some PVC pipe lenghtways and fiberglass it into place to provide strengthening back into the walls? That might stiffen things up without adding a lot of weight.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I've got some idea's but it all depends on what shape your floor is. Does the lowered floor of the kitchen area go all the way to the front or does it rise up at the door?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #7

British Columbia
the floor is flat from the bed/dining area to the door then there is the "loveseat?" that is at the front. I hope that all made sense
Old 09-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #8

does the floor go flat under the center of the loveseat or rise up about 5-6" under the center?

Check out this post with pictures and try to determine what yours looks like.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post222142
Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #9

British Columbia
ya the floor is all the flat i believe, i'll know for sure tomorrow as im going to pick up the trailer but being there today im positive the floor is flat.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #10

British Columbia
the loveseat which is in the front of the trailer is flat, the little dining area the floor goes up just like in this original brochure picture:

http://csc.laurentian.ca/~ken/bolerr...chure_1974.pdf
Old 09-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #11

If you have a "stock" boler all dining room floors go up that way. How does the front end of the trailer go up? They all go up there. The question is ... does it go up, straight across from the door hinges. Or does it give you a cubby hole towards the front?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #12

British Columbia
There is a cubby hole towards the front
Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #13

OK then,
Q out the front window, propane is below, door with screen mod keeps the cook cool.
Keep the sink cabinet, you will need it for hygiene ordinances and structure.
Narrow the closet to a 6" post close to the door. Structure/ storage.
Food service off the curbside.
Condiments off the rear.
Keep the streetside intact. Most places you will service for food, this will not work for anything else.
Get the idea?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #14

British Columbia
yup i understand
What i was hoping to do was keep the cabinet but re-locate it to other side, reason being i want that side where the sink cabinet already is totally open for taking orders on one end and pickup on the other. The reason im so gung-ho about opening up that side where the cabinet is, is because it's so big and I need the room because we are very,very busy... we serve about 300 people a day.

Plan is to put 18 inch wheels and have it look like a lowrider styled trailer, thats why i love the bolers. So i really want people when they come up to the trailer, to have the whole operation on that side, so they see the wheels,white wall tires etc....i think a little moving around everything can work.....awesome input very very very much appreciated......I will start gutting this thing tomorrow and post up some pics
Old 09-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #15

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
My suggestion, which may be obvious, would be to add reinforcements, THEN cut the openings. Hopefully, this will keep the body and/or the cutouts from changing shape once the cuts are made.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote