Hello from Long Island, New York - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New York
Hello from Long Island, New York

My wife and I are going to pick up our new 13' Scamp from Backus, MN in the middle of November. Our "TV" is a 2014 Subaru Outback. While I have some concerns about the 22 hour trip and the weather in Minnesota that time of the year, we are quite excited about the trip. Just wondering if people think the Outback will be able to tow the Scamp without much trouble. The trailer has AC (added weight) and electric breaks. Would more than welcome feedback. Thanks. Bob G.
Bob Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Check your manual for towing spec
Is it setup with tow pkg
What is scamp telling your your trailer weighs
Does it have elec brakes
You might want to check this site for the " real trailer weights"
Spreadsheet

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:11 PM   #3

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
You will need heat. If you didn't already know, there are 2 rest stops on I-80 going east (and west) through Ohio that have camp sites in the parking lots with electric for $20 if you need to stop along that route home. (I grew up on Long Island, Valley Stream) Welcome to the FB family.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations! How exciting!

Is yours a standard or a deluxe? Front bath or bunks?

There is some uncertainty about whether the wood interior makes it heavier, but the bathroom definitely does because of the extra components. The bathroom will likely put you a bit over the Subaru's tongue weight rating of 200 pounds. Regardless of configuration you should be fine on total weight, especially since you will be traveling fairly lightly on this trip.

Quite a few people on the forum tow 13' Scamps with Outbacks. I suspect you'll find it performs adequately except on steep grades, high elevations, and/or stiff headwinds. I agree that having the electric brakes set up with a controller and wiring in your vehicle is important.

As to weather, you just never know. As long as you don't put water into the plumbing, you don't have to worry about freezing. If you ordered the furnace, you can use it, or buy yourself a small ceramic electric heater to use when plugged in*. And if a nasty storm rolls through, you can always hunker down in the trailer or even a motel for a day or two until the conditions improve.

*The furnace is a bit strong for such a small space, and noisy to boot. We just run ours in the evening to knock the chill off while changing and again in the morning. You'll want to add your own smoke and CO detectors. For conditions requiring continuous heat all night, I'd look for a spot with electricity and run the ceramic heater instead.

It's the first of many adventures!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I did the same in 2014 when i picked my 16' Scamp in oct. On the way over from pa our gps took us through some chicago traffic areas, i wanted to shoot myself. On leaving Backus i headed south into Iowa and picked up 80 E and came straight across into pa, a lot better. There are tolls, like about 40$ worth. There was heavy rain and storms all the way over. Not knowing much about camping sites i stayed in the rest areas to catch some zzzs for an hour or so and kept moving east. It was an adventure and i learned a lot. good Luck. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Even with the 4 cyl. OB you should be OK with a S-13 W/ bath. My 4 cyl. OB with CVT would get 21/22 MPG flatland towing my S-13 W/ bath. Do not get dual LP tanks or your tongue weight will be too great for the Outback. I would get the 2" after market receiver. I bought my receiver, controller, controller wiring package, tail light adapter and 7 pin plug from E trailer. The only issue with the install was finding the correct wire to hook the controller brake wire to but E trailer helped figure that out for me.
Going to Backus from the east coast in the winter from Pa. I take I-70 to I-74 to I-39 to I-94 about 100 miles further but no tolls and you stay out of Chicago traffic. The tolls more than pay for the extra gas and time is about the same if you consider Chicago traffic. Another factor is the winter is lake effect snow on 80. The toll road Camper sites at the rest area are nice but if you can't get one there are not many other campsites that I have found near the toll road in Il. and Ohio.
I did a lot of winter cross country driving let the weatherman be your friend and be flexible. Don't be afraid to go to a motel for a couple of days if needed.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New York
Thank you for all your advice. To answer some questions, our Scamp 13 has the bunk beds and not the bathroom. It is not the delux model but does have, electric brakes, heat and A/C. Fortunately, I only ordered one propane tank, I was not aware that two would be a problem for the Outback. Your advice about the weather along 80 and places to stop is most helpful. Our initial plan was to take 80 to Backus and 70 back with the idea it might be a couple of degrees warmer. Let's see what Mother Nature has in store for us. I'm a little surprised that Scamp never asked what we were planning to use as a TV. Any other feedback would be much appreciated. Bob G.
Bob Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bob
FWIW: Even without a shower I would recommend a greywater tank if you did not order one. One reason is for a cross country trip like you are taking home and the federal campsites have really tightened up on grey water handling and disposal. Scamp usually charges just a little more for a factory install vs. the parts alone.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Being a lifelong resident of Minnesota, I can tell you that the weather in Minnesota can be all over the map in November . I have seen temps from -20 below zero to 70 above. We get rain , sleet , snow , or bright sunshine in November . Most Minnesota campgrounds whether public or private are closed and if they are open the bath facilities are turned off in November. If you need to get stuff for your trailer , food, propane or other supplies , Brainerd Mn ( Brainerd Lakes Area) is just south of the Scamp factory and will have anything you need .
I will be up in that area for a week of deer hunting so I am hoping for snow. The Minnesota DOT does a great job of plowing the roads including sanding & salting so even if it does snow it won't stop you from traveling. Enjoy Northern Minnesota and come back in the summer when it is green and enjoy one of our 11,000 lakes.

Good Luck
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:28 AM   #10

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hello from Long Island, New York

Welcoming another fiberglass trailer to Long Island!
From a Trillium owner in Sea Cliff!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We now tow a 2011 13' SCAMP with a 2008 Subaru, 4 cylinder, Legacy Sedan and have had no problems. Ours is a basic SCAMP and has NO AC, nor bath. We are thinking of getting a Subaru Crosstrek as our next car.
This is a photo of a trip to the wine country in Lodi, California, not far from where we live.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 050.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote