Help Comparing Casita 16' with Scamp 16 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #41

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
For me, in my Scamp, I just wish they would have been neater with the wiring and plumbing. They have wires all bunch up in the bottom of the closet or where ever. They have the pex tubes and water tubing running diagonal under sink, makes it hard to stores things in there. A few turns and a little extra lengths of pex they could have made it better. Other then that I love my Scamp. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #42

Name: dave
Trailer: scamp
New Mexico
the other thing i think is preferable on the casita is the door. on the casita, the door has a rectangle, non curved shape that mates with a flat on the trailer. on the scamp, the door is curved to match the shape of the trailer and in my experience, that match is often less than perfect making the use of thick foams and door sealers more necessary. on some scamps they seem to mate well and others, like ours, were pretty bad with large gaps and very poor alignment which is only partially improved by messing with the door hangers.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Help Comparing Casita 16' with Scamp 16

Only the 17' Casita has the flat door. The 16' Casita, the subject of this thread, has the same curved door design as Scamp and the same potential issues.

FWIW, my Scamp is approaching its tenth birthday and the door still hangs straight and seals reasonably well. I have not yet installed Scamp's new and improved seal, but that will probably be its birthday present, along with a hinge rebuild kit and resealing the door window, which is where a lot of door problems get started.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #44

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
They are all about equally accurate, so the only fair comparisons are the listed dimensions.

BTW...I do see the difference, about a dozen times at every rally.
Not my experience on accuracy, but the important point for anyone for whom that dimension - or really any point of comparison - is important is that they shouldn't rely on the published dimension, but check it out for themselves. So attend a rally, go into as many trailers a possible, and and talk to owners about whatever pros and cons you can.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #45

New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Only the 17' Casita has the flat door. The 16' Casita, the subject of this thread, has the same curved door design as Scamp and the same potential issues.

thank you for clarifying that.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #46

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I love our scamp, but that flat foot on the 17 Casita looks real nice. Our scamp door is tight on the bottom front corner and it just scrapes off any seal we try to use.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #47

Arizona
Registry
Help Comparing Casita 16' with Scamp 16

Does yours have an angled metal bar at the lower front corner of the door opening? That piece is designed to prevent exactly the problem you describe. For reasons unknown, some Scamps have it and some don't. Mine does.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #48

New Mexico
Quote:
Does yours have an angled metal bar at the lower front corner of the door opening? That piece is designed to prevent exactly the problem you describe. For reasons unknown, some Scamps have it and some don't. Mine does.

Mine has a small triangular piece of stiff plastic along that corner but no metal bar. How would that bar prevent the problem? Mine is similar to the other poster who said no matter what seal he puts on, it is scraped off as the door closes, but that leaves a little gap there when the door is fully closed.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #49

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Nothing like doing it all in house, owner keeps all the money, controls production, and quality. Others might out source, but then your at someone else's mercy, pretty smart if you ask me to keep it in house. When I was there, there were two stalls where the frames were being built, they didn't take up to much room as I recall. Don't really see your point as Casita has the fastest turn a round time of any fiberglass trailer manufactures, what is Scamp, one year, ridicules.

trainman
My career was spent in manufacturing. We tended to do too many things, instead of focusing on our key competencies. In the molded FG trailer business, knowing how to mold fiberglass, both the exterior of the trailer and the inside cabinetry, would fall into this core competency. Get really good at it, and improve quality and lower cost. Fabricating and welding steel frames is a different set of skills. From a worker safety standpoint, it also takes different controls. If you don't keep up with the regs, you risk problems. So sometimes by doing less, you get better at it, and enjoy a lower cost.

Its just a manufacturing strategy. Figure out the key portion of your process, get really good at it, and farm out the rest of it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #50

Name: Lynne
Trailer: Escape
Idaho
Phil,

Take a look at,the Escape out of Chilliwack BC Canada. We bought one a couple of years ago and love it. Good quality and with the US dollar stronger then Canada’s great price. We had a Scamp prior to this.
Gypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #51

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
Mine has a small triangular piece of stiff plastic along that corner but no metal bar. How would that bar prevent the problem? Mine is similar to the other poster who said no matter what seal he puts on, it is scraped off as the door closes, but that leaves a little gap there when the door is fully closed.
The angled bar guides the corner of the door out and over the seal. The plastic triangle provides a smooth contact surface to slide against instead of rat fur.

At least that's the theory...

Mating a curved door of flexible material to a curved, flexible shell is an imprecise business at best. I have a slight gap in mine in the leading edge above that corner. Planning to replace the double-D seal I installed when I first got mine with Scamp's new flanged seal.

The corner itself is tight, and with the angled bar, I've not had an issue with the door scraping off the seal, so it seems to be working as designed in my case.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #52

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We've owned:
2001 16' Scamp
2007 17' Casita
2003 25' Bigfoot
Will be purchasing a 21' Escape this January
The differences we found were:

Scamp - old school, curved leaky door, too small wheels/tires that destruct easily, poor excuse for wheel wells smaller upper storage, smaller windows, buttons on outside. Scamp had a chance to correct these problems after their fire, but chose not to.

Casita - newer design, decent door, bigger wheels, fiberglass wheelwells, bigger upper storage, but welded their leveling jacks to the frame and if you ruin one (was ruined when purchased) it has to be ground off and buttons on outside.

Bigfoot - good lord, it's built like and tank, but unfortunately weighs like one. NO buttons! Aside from the weight and age it was perfect. A little too big for us and 9.5 mpg pulling, plus over $56,000 for a new one.

Escape - ticks more boxes than any other, but time will tell.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #53

Texas
Quote:
The angled bar guides the corner of the door out and over the seal. The plastic triangle provides a smooth contact surface to slide against instead of rat fur.

At least that's the theory...

Mating a curved door of flexible material to a curved, flexible shell is an imprecise business at best. I have a slight gap in mine in the leading edge above that corner. Planning to replace the double-D seal I installed when I first got mine with Scamp's new flanged seal.

The corner itself is tight, and with the angled bar, I've not had an issue with the door scraping off the seal, so it seems to be working as designed in my case.
I suppose we should start another thread on the mysteries of the scamp curved door, but I will just followup to say we have the plastic triangle and the metal bar. I think the bar is what scraped the seal most directly. It may not be installed correctly as there were a lot of modifications to our trailer.

I've not seen a lot of other scamps to compare to. The only rally we went to was a casita rally and we were one of very few scamps there. The only 19 foot scamp.

For now I think we are just going to accept a slightly thinner seal at that portion of the door. The new scamp seal we installed is just too thick there.

To bring this back around to the question at hand: if casita offered a fifth wheel with a flat door I would be looking very closely at it. I prefer the rat fur over the carpet, but my daughter would love the carpet. Of course she would want it in pink or green. In my dream world where casita builds a fifth wheel you also get to pick your carpet color, naturally.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #54

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Bigfoot - good lord, it's built like and tank, but unfortunately weighs like one. NO buttons! A little too big for us and 9.5 mpg pulling.
Wow. We have the F150 with the 2.7 eco boost and just averaged 16+ over 2000 miles hauling our overloaded scamp 19. Our friends with a large sticky and a v8 F150 averaged about 10 mpg. Getting 9.5 in a fiberglass trailer is no bueno!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #55

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
Wow. We have the F150 with the 2.7 eco boost and just averaged 16+ over 2000 miles hauling our overloaded scamp 19. Our friends with a large sticky and a v8 F150 averaged about 10 mpg. Getting 9.5 in a fiberglass trailer is no bueno!
I took the Casita to Idaho for the TOT rally and averaged over 16 mpg. Width and weight do make a difference. When I weighed the Bigfoot it was over 6,300 pounds and had 950 on the tongue. Needless to say there was never any sway with the Bigfoot. Perhaps Tony Nowak (?) will chime in on his gas mileage pulling his 17' Bigfoot.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #56

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I took the Casita to Idaho for the TOT rally and averaged over 16 mpg. Width and weight do make a difference. When I weighed the Bigfoot it was over 6,300 pounds and had 950 on the tongue. Needless to say there was never any sway with the Bigfoot. Perhaps Tony Nowak (?) will chime in on his gas mileage pulling his 17' Bigfoot.

Enjoy,

Perry
Well, that weight is pretty comparable to our friend's sticky. So maybe not too surprising.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #57

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We went to a large Casita rally with our Scamp 16. On 'show and tell day' virtually every Casita owner that came in to our rig was amazed by the size of our Scamp felling it was much bigger than their Casitas. It's obviously an illusion created by the high ceiling, the large front window, and the wide aisle. Of course 7 feet of counter space is another plus. The Scamp just feels larger when you're in it. Yes I own a Scamp but also used a Casita 16 for a year. The reality is they are both old designs but very reliable old designs, mine is now 27 years old and happily takes me around the country for 7 months a year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #58

Name: Charles
Trailer: Big Foot
TX
Enjoying this thread!
We also, as y'all, have a bit of fiberglass rv experience with: 2007 Scamp Deluxe 19, 2012 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe & currently 2005 Big Foot 25RQ ...

Agree with others on the a-fore mentioned general impressions ... was disappointed that Scamp has not upgraded over time (lots of examples exist) ... hard to criticize Casita except for the slow draining tanks ... and yes Big Foot is a tank, not much negative, but I can say BF trailer manuals are very skimpily written.

Don't have personal experience with Escape or Oliver, but I have high regard for both, especially Oliver ... of course the $$$ goes up considerably on those.

From what I've observed, the basic fiberglass work on all the above is top notch ... and that is the overriding factor that must be solid & good to go.

Well, I'm actually responding here to chime in with my MPG experience ... as we know there are myriad factors in play for one's MPG ... major factors include tow vehicle, speed cruised at, plains or mountains and wind.

For us average, towing all the way from WA to FL, but mostly trips in the SouthWest (lots of wind factor and sometimes mountain passes), always cruising at 60 MPH (faster in urban areas when required to fit in safely) ... 2007 Nissan Frontier automatic six cylinder 4.0L pulling the Scamp & then Casita:

- Scamp 19 Deluxe ... 14 to 16 mpg (as low as 11 mpg into 30 knots wind)

- Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe ... 13 to 15 mpg (but less wind factor than the 5'er)

Big Foot is pulled with a 2000 F-250, 7.3 diesel Powerstroke, 4 speed automatic, 2wd, w/weight distributing hitch, trailer weighs 6300 +- lbs. 1000 lbs tongue weight.

- BF 25 ... 12 to 14 mpg (diesel ... as low as 11 in mountains ... the ease of the super duty diesel to tow compared to the gasser is clearly evident in all situations)

Of course we know YMMV Cheers, CJ
dyno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp