HELP! - Dometic Refrigerator ID Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #1

Trailer: ***
Can anyone identify the model of the Dometic 3-way (12 VDC/120 VAC/propane) refrigerator pictured below that was originally installed in my LiteHouse Trailer-For-Two in 1996?

Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic_1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	4250

This reefer was gone (as in missing from the trailer when purchased but replaced with an icebox) but I'd like to replace the icebox with the current Dometic 3-way equivalent model (if there is one). Haven't had any luck finding what unit that might be! Any leads or links to an appropriate source? Does anyone have personal, first-hand knowledge of the current Dometic 3-way equivalent model? Is there another brand of reefer (of very similar size AND 3-way operation) that I can consider for use?

Thanks, as usual, for any and all leads and wisdom.

Dan Imming
Dan I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:47 PM   #2

Trailer: ***
Of course...MOMENTS after I posted the question above, I was e-mailed information about the Dometic RC3000 (pictured below) from another source as a possible solution to update the Trailer-For-Two!

Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic_3000.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	4251

SO, the questions now are:

1) Does anyone have first-hand, personal knowledge of how well this Dometic model RC 3000 3-way reefer works?

2) Is it as "simple" as the sales literature implies, i.e., just connect the unit to 12 VDC/120 VAC /propane and press the "ON" button? Surely there must be some sort of venting and air handling requirements for propane operation?

3) I've never used a 3-way reefer before --- how and when do you switch from 12 VDC to 120 VAC to propane? Is one power source MOST efficient?

4) Still would like to know the model of the blue monster pictured in the original post if anyone knows!

I promise I'll wait until someone answers any/all of my questions before posting more! Thanks!

Dan Imming
Dan I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
http://www.rvmobile.com/REFERS/DometicR.htm see if one fits your opening.
the portable 3 way unit you pictured is not ment to be used in a enclosed space. easy of use depends on the refigerator you get some of the newer ones swich between modes of operation is automatic.
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
2) Is it as "simple" as the sales literature implies, i.e., just connect the unit to 12 VDC/120 VAC /propane and press the "ON" button? Surely there must be some sort of venting and air handling requirements for propane operation?
I'm sure there is as you will be burning propane so there will be heat and combustion exhaust.

Quote:
3) I've never used a 3-way reefer before --- how and when do you switch from 12 VDC to 120 VAC to propane? Is one power source MOST efficient?
Our refrigerator (a 2-way) simply has a rotary dial to change from 120V to gas and the manual that came with it has a similar for the three way refrigerator. Electric operation is based on resistance heating and the 12V will drain a battery in a hurry and should be used only while the battery is being charged. Our frig seems to work best on propane and will operate for weeks on a 20 lb. tank.

The Dometric web site should provide additional info.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:50 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...2) Is it as "simple" as the sales literature implies, i.e., just connect the unit to 12 VDC/120 VAC /propane and press the "ON" button? Surely there must be some sort of venting and air handling requirements for propane operation?
I've seen what appears to be this unit (something like the Dometic RC3000) for sale at an RV show, and I believe that it was presented as being intended for outdoor operation. If it is assumed to be outside, and to have open space around all sides, then ventilation would be handled.

There are sections in the similar Dometic RC4000 manual about ventilation and where it can be operated, as well as operating procedures.

Most people seem to report that their absorption refrigerators have best [b]cooling performance on propane, which I think is just a consequence of the propane burner putting out more heat than the electric resistance heating elements. I couldn't find the RC3000 in the Dometic websites, and the Dometic USA page for the RC4000 and huge (2.2 M"leaflet" doesn't have much real information, but the international Dometic page for the same unit (RC4000) shows that 12VDC and 120VAC power consumptions are the same as each other (and too high for long operation on a battery), so they should be about equally effective. There are lots of energy numbers on that page to consider.

Their FAQ includes this:
Quote:
— [b]Is the performance the same on all kinds of energy (230V/12V/Gas)?

Yes. However, there are some rules that have to be respected. For 12V energy, for instance, there is a direct relation between the cable length and the cable section (the longer the cable, the bigger the cable section). For full satisfaction, we advise that installation guidelines be carefully respected.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator