Help! Electrical Gremlin Aboard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
I wired up the overhead fan to the inside of the 12v outlet. it runs from the 12v to an on/off toggle switch, then to the fan. i tested it and it worked well. then after securing everything i blew a fuse hooking up the ground. i replaced the fuse, turned it on again and it worked fine. Then i tested the toggle switch to see if it would turn it off as planned. for some reason flipping the switch blew the fuse. does anyone have any idea why flipping the switch blew a fuse? I am wondering if it is wired wrong. 3 separate people have told me the switch should have 2 black wires on one side and 2 red on the other but i feel like switching it to one red/black on each side to see if thats the problem. does Anyone have any other suggestions on what it could be? i have more fuses than time. thanks a lot!
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
there should be only two wires going from the power supply[in this case the 12V outlet ] to the fan. the hot wire[preferably] should be broken across the toggle switch , you will use only two terminals on the switch, it might be best to buy a new at least 20A switch with only two terminals. The ground will run from the ground at the outlet all the way [unbroken] to the fan.
review...
Run the hot wire from the center wire at the 12V outlet to the switch. run the hot wire then from the other side of the switch to the hot wire at the fan. then run the ground wire from the fan all the way[unbroken] back to the outer terminal at the 12V outlet. Be sure you have a 20A automotive type fuse at the power supply to the outlet.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
there should be only two wires going from the power supply[in this case the 12V outlet ] to the fan. the hot wire[preferably] should be broken across the toggle switch , you will use only two terminals on the switch, it might be best to buy a new at least 20A switch with only two terminals. The ground will run from the ground at the outlet all the way [unbroken] to the fan.
review...
Run the hot wire from the center wire at the 12V outlet to the switch. run the hot wire then from the other side of the switch to the hot wire at the fan. then run the ground wire from the fan all the way[unbroken] back to the outer terminal at the 12V outlet. Be sure you have a 20A automotive type fuse at the power supply to the outlet.
thanks. for some reason i didnt get the reply notice. It is all working well now I was given incorrect wiring instructions, and i had used a regular switch and not a 12 volt they are great, i just want to put fans all over now. I am now ready for summer, except it is almost 1/2 over. oh well.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote