Help fitting 8ft Awning to 13 ft trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Help fitting 8ft Awning to 13 ft trailer

Just got a 8 ft bag Dometic Trim Line awning for my Uhaul Ct13. You guessed it..won't fit, too long. Has anyone adapted a 8ft rail for a 13 ft trailer? The upper rafter arms of the awning fit into a ball socket that is supposed to be attached under the rail...the curve prevents this socket from mounting correctly. And the 8 ft rail is too long. Does any have any
Mods for this? Too expensive to return. Any help would be appreciated.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Diane, I know that some people have simply cut the rail down to 7ft (which fits) and then let the bag and awning hang over at each end. But I don't know how the rail system was handled. I don't know if angling the side rafters inward to a 7ft width is possible (maybe if you lengthen them?) Just thinking aloud here, could you install a shim behind the socket to get the angle you need?
FYI, when you install the rail, the standard practice is to install a good sticky butyl tape between the rail and the hull, then carefully drill through the just the outside hull, and then pop-rivet the rail into place. When I installed my rail, I drilled and riveted every 3rd hole in my rail to avoid too many holes in my trailer. Some people have used only the super strong 3-M VHB tape (no holes) but I don't know how that has held up for them long term. Hopefully someone can comment on that one. I just felt safer using the mechanical fastening system.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #3

Virginia
Pam, thank you for responding. What size rail do you have? I have a 7 foot on there now. And I bought a 8ft rail that is too long. But I have windows that leak and wanted to make sure they were covered. I have thought about making a fin shape thing to put under the ends of the rail then attaching the ball socket to that to receive the rafter poles. I have read everything I can on awnings here and have found a lot of folks with 13 ft campers are using the 8ft awning. So hoping someone can add a mod suggestion. when you slant the top rafter poles to meet a 7 ft width the awning is not taught and will hold rain water.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

Name: Pam
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft.
Washington
question about size of awning for 13 foot Scamp

I want to put a bag awning on my 13 foot Scamp. I really would like an 8 foot Shademaker Supreme, but I only measure 7 feet of straight flat area. That's a line above the door, allowing 6 inches hang, on the bag.
Am I a lot better off just to get a 7 foot Shademaker Classic?
Finances dictate a bag awning rather than some other type.
I did look at some of the new free standing 6 foot by 6 foot picnic table type canopies that are being sold for car camping. They are not high enough to step into the Scamp without ducking big time. Otherwise the $99 price tag would justify the extra work in putting up!
Thanks!
Pam P WA state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
I installed the 7' Shademaker Classic on my CT-13 and it works perfect; used pop rivets on the rail and 3M tape to hold the ball sockets. Lesson learned-lower the front verticle pole to the rear of your camper about 8" during rain storm, awning will drain and will not hinder door opening. When sun returns simply raise pole to normal height.
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
There was this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...p-37219-2.html

My preference leans towards the 7' on the rounded bodies leaving the 8' for the square(13'ers).
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver View Post
I installed the 7' Shademaker Classic on my CT-13 and it works perfect; used pop rivets on the rail and 3M tape to hold the ball sockets. Lesson learned-lower the front verticle pole to the rear of your camper about 8" during rain storm, awning will drain and will not hinder door opening. When sun returns simply raise pole to normal height.
Thank you George, Lesson learned well on the size,<_< now am stuck with the 8 foot, so need to adapt it. I will try the 3m tape as you said to hold the ball sockets, that is a good idea. Good tip for all on lowering the front side during rain. Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
There was this thread:

My preference leans towards the 7' on the rounded bodies leaving the 8' for the square(13'ers).
Roy you are so right. I wish I had known that before buying the 8 footer.
I will read this thread you recomended, thank you so much.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
There was this thread:

Roy, Wow, thanks for the info as it is just what I needed!!!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #10

Name: Pam
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft.
Washington
thanks

Thanks to George and Roy. Special thanks for the link, I had searched "awning" and none of this came up.
Now I have to decide on length and color.... always hard as I like about any color at the time I see it!
In WA state with my 13 ft Scamp, hoping to use it more this year.
Pam P WA state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #11

Diane,
Any reason why you can't sell your 8' and buy a 7' ?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #12

Virginia
Quote:
Diane,
Any reason why you can't sell your 8' and buy a 7' ?
Roy, I could sell it, yes. But I had searched long and hard to find one that was in my price range (Cheap) and one that was the right color for the UHAul ct13. So I am happy with the price, color and design, and quality
of this Dometic Trimline. AND They do not make a 7 ft or at least I could not find a 7ft in this awning. But that was a good question. I will make it work by golly!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #13

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam P WA state View Post
I want to put a bag awning on my 13 foot Scamp. I really would like an 8 foot Shademaker Supreme, but I only measure 7 feet of straight flat area. That's a line above the door, allowing 6 inches hang, on the bag.
Am I a lot better off just to get a 7 foot Shademaker Classic?
Finances dictate a bag awning rather than some other type.
I did look at some of the new free standing 6 foot by 6 foot picnic table type canopies that are being sold for car camping. They are not high enough to step into the Scamp without ducking big time. Otherwise the $99 price tag would justify the extra work in putting up!
Thanks!
Pam P. I hope you have read through this thread...looks like a 7 ft might work the best from what Roy and George are saying. My choice for the Dometic Trimline vs Shademaker, simple...Cheaper. I beleive they may be made the same way. You can find them on Ebay.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #14

Diane,
If you are handy you can shorten an 8' to a 7'.
1 person I know had the bag width shortend by about 2" to get clearance over the door.

Pam,
The shademaker comes in different qualities and a number of people sell them at varying prices.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #15

Virginia
Roy, to shorten the awning is a real possibility...I will look at it soon to see how this can be done. Good thought. The problem is rain water pooling up in the center of it if the fit is not taught. In the other thread that I read, the guy put an extra tension rod in the center. Also interesting idea. Thank you for responding.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #16

Name: Don
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ontario
Keys....

I just wanted to say thank you again, in regard to the "key" issue. Canadian Tire could not copy my only key, Home Hardware said "nope can't help you"...a locksmith said "don't have the number on the key, can't find a master blank for it...sorry"
Well, well, well, after three tries I give up, this is hopeless. On the advice of another member, I try the forth "key" place. Bingo, she finds the master blank, cuts the key in 2 minutes, and charges me 2.69!!!!! and it worked!

So, to everyone who did not mean to scare the hell out of me, but did...I say keep trying, most of the issues I found owning my new trailer, are not as bad as they would seem.

Donny
Donny55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning