Help for Trillium Seams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #1

Name: Brenda
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Hi all,

With all the Trills we have in our yard, we have never had to replace the seams that fit into the channels (between the sheets of Ensolite). Unfortunately, our latest Trill came with brown, wood grain-looking plastic channel that fits perfectly, but my goodness.....UGLY to say the least.

We have contemplated almost every option we could think of....painting them (would probably not work because they are pliable - would probably flake off in no time), going the Boler route and buying 2-way tape, adhering a covering of material on them (would most likely have to use contact cement...not sure about this or how it would stand up), replacing them with T moulding that is used for edging on tables (good idea, but most are off-set for some reason and the part that fits into the channel would take hours of work to whittle down with a utility knife.

I am going to put another post asking if someone has any 1" wide, 1/8" plastic almond trim that fits into these channels, but I'd like to hear what ideas we haven't thought of. I have agonized over this for weeks now and really don't know what to do.

Help and thank you from the cold Prairies (-28C right now).

Brenda Novakovski
Saskatoon, SK
Canada
Brenda Novakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Brenda, these trim pieces ARE "plastique" (LOL) but I doubt very much if there would be any movement in these pieces. Saying that you might want to try painting them. There are however "flex agents" that body shops use to add to their paint(s) to repair bumpers on newer vehicles.

P.S. If you happen to have an excess supply of these trim pieces, we could SURE use one or two, IF you could spare them?
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Brenda, you might check out some of the resources in the Helpful-Links pages. Moldings There's several links to companies selling "T" moldings...I guess that's what you're talking about
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Brenda,

I remember (pre-hack) someone posted a link to a place that sold the seam binding you are looking for. Maybe it's in the links Donna was talking about. FYI, I tried the boiling water trick you suggested and VOILA' all of the crinkles vanished. It was brilliant! I finally went out and took down the top bunk and I 'get it' now. Looking forward to finishing the re-uphostry and putting it all back together! Thanks for all your tips. Looking forward to meeting you guys at Bullards.

Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Brenda,
As Donna stated, check the websites on the "Helpful Links" Those are the closest I could find. I did a lot of research to even fine those links.
The plastic "T" mouldings has been a big bug-doo for many of the EGG owners as so many of us have trailers that are 20 years and older. All these plastic products deteroiate over long periods.
Many of the original manufactuers are no longer around or the products they made and used aren't available. We as a group are almost having to reinvent the wheel.
For example on our 77 Boler I have had to replace the water tank, sink P trap, water filler cap just to name a few plastic items.
This web site will probably be you best source of help & info as we are all so passionate about our FG EGGS.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #6

British Columbia
Hi again everyone,

Thanks to all who replied. Donna and Con..I never thought to look at those links and they have given me hope. I was given a price of $0.78/foot for stuff that I would have to do some serious modifications to and was going out of stock so if I screwed it up....too bad. I've been to almost every home and flooring store in this city and nothing even comes close.

Such a little thing can cause so much anxiety! Gees......am I nuts or what?

Doug...I'll keep you posted. I still think they can be painted, but my hubby doesn't think it will last. That would be the easiest solution at this point, but I'd like to see if I can get something equal. You'll be the first to know if I do.

Sharon....glad the advice worked out for you. I knew you would understand when you took that front bunk part out and saw how things were held together. We are really excited about the trip to Oregon and putting faces to names.

Thanks again for the good tips.

Brenda
Old 02-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Hi again Brenda, If and when you find a supplier who will sell you less than 10,000 feet of the stuff at a reasonable price, please post it on this thread. When I was in the plastics fab business some of the materials I required I couldn't get unless I bought 10,000 ft. or in case lots.
And Doug is right, the body shops use a flex-agent in their paints for all these plastic bumpers that the cars have now.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Brenda, I've found the Krylon Fusion spray paint designed for plastic works pretty well. I painted all my trimlock that goes around Boler cabinets with it. I was doing black on black but so far I see no peeling.

For my seams I ripped out all the t moulding and track and caulked the seams. It was a bear of a job but it looks pretty good after two coats of paint.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Brenda, I can attest to the fact that those strips can be painted and not necessarily using those flex agents I told you about in above posts. I am a member of a small local car club(hot rods, mind you) and in our club there are no fewer than 20 members who have glass eggs of various sizes and makes. ALL have been redone inside and out (with paint) and all look very good considering the number of miles we put on our rods and trailers each year
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #10

British Columbia
Hi all,

I picked up a flexible color coat today to paint those seams. I was leaning toward going this way, but just needed to take a look at some products. I'd rather pay $13 for a spray can, then goodness knows how much for new seam material. I have nothing to lose by trying. It is a product called SEM and I purchased it at a automotive wholesale supply. It says that it will work on most flexible and rigid plastics, carpet, vinyl and even velour. So for now, I will get all the contact cement and silicone off the seams and wait for the weather to warm up so I can do this outside.

I sent of couple of e-mails to the companies listed here in the forum, but they both replied stating they don't have anything that would work.

I'll keep everyone posted as to how this goes. Thanks for your input and advice.

Brenda
Old 02-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')

If anyone is into a "little" research, here is a link to Plastics Extrusion Distributors in North America

OK, so I can be a sadist at times
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium