HELP from the welders in the crowd - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
I just got back from my local weld shop... I wanted to get 2 small plates welded to the frame at the rear bumper to bolt steel wheels to protect the rear from scraping.. I saw a few have done this mod. My welder was not sure if he grounded to the frame to weld if it would hurt any electronics in the camper or burn out the inverter.. I thought if I disconect the Neg. battery terminal it would be ok to weld. He wasn't sure if that would protect the inverter or not.... So do any of you welders know what is the safe way to weld to the frame??? THANKS, Kenn
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I don't have a convertor, but I know when I had my frame done, the welder asked me to remove the battery AND the propane tank.

It made sense at the time..But I just thought he was being fire safe. Didn't really ask him why.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Wait, you said INVERTOR.. did you mean CONvertor?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Wait, you said INVERTOR.. did you mean CONvertor?
YES YES YES .... I MENT TO SAY CONVERTER !!!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #5

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I do a fair amount of welding and I always remove as much problem equipment as possible. Disconnect the battery, remove the LP tank for starters. I agree that to avoid problems, you should disconnect the convertor. I don't think it would hurt it if you didn't, but why take a chance.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:

I do a fair amount of welding and I always remove as much problem equipment as possible. Disconnect the battery, remove the LP tank for starters. I agree that to avoid problems, you should disconnect the convertor. I don't think it would hurt it if you didn't, but why take a chance.
Bob, Thanks for your responce.. When I pull the battery, doesn't that disconect the converter from the frame ??? Do I have to pull fuses & open breakers??? ELECTRIC !!!! THANKS, KENN
Old 01-24-2007, 03:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Kenn, I think that there is another grounding attachment to the frame separate from the battery connection. Take a look at the frame under the battery compartment, I believe that the green wire is the ground circuit for the 120v side of the converter while the white wire is the battery negative, which is grounded through the converter and an attachment to the frame.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Kenn, I think that there is another grounding attachment to the frame separate from the battery connection. Take a look at the frame under the battery compartment, I believe that the green wire is the ground circuit for the 120v side of the converter while the white wire is the battery negative, which is grounded through the converter and an attachment to the frame.

I think you will find that the White wire is actuall 120VAC neutral, IAW ac wiring color codes and the battery negative is eventually connected to the frame thru the converter and the green wire ground. Pulling the battery is likely to have no effect whatsoever on the converter's attachments to anything but the battery... That said, I would pull the battery on general principles -- If it's not there, you can't wreck it!

There are three converter connection schemes that I have seen -- One has the converter completely independent of the 12VDC AND the 120VAC distributions (plugs into convenience outlet and feeds separate fuse panel); one has the 12VDC integral but plugs into convenience outlet and finally, one has both 12VDC AND 120VAC fuses and breakers contained in it -- You have to know what you have in order to isolate it...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote