help installing awning rail? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #1

Name: steve
Trailer: Boler
Banff, Alberta
help installing awning rail?

Hi everyone, just got back from a couple weeks of touring BC with the Boler. Had a great time and picked up a spare piece of awning bracket - was hoping someone here could tell me how to install it?

It's the aluminum bracket with a C shaped cutout that you slide the awning material through - very simple.

I have lots of butyl tape but not sure, do I stick the butyl tape to the awning bracket then stick it to the boler, then drilll holes and then insert the rivets?

Or is there a better way?
Thanks,
Steve
nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

Name: Chris
Alberta
Hopefully you get a proper answer.

I had the same question, did just what you said and so far it is working great.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Steve;

I've just never felt comfortable with rivets alone, especially pop rivets. They are great for connecting things where failure is not a huge deal, but not in situations where you don't want things to let go and rip stuff up.

I did the "Canadian" thing for my awning rail. I got a number of real laminated wood broken hockey stick shafts and used that to back up the 1" x #8 Robertson screws I used to attach the awning rail. Make sure of two things, the C-channel is below the screws, and that the screws are going through the laminations of the stick shaft, not along them. I put a screw in every hole in the railing. By the by, do absolutely use butyl tape as well, and then just scrape off the excess that squeezes out.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have installed 3 awnings rails and just re-installed the rail on the 13' Scamp I have.
All have been riveted and all are still sound and leak free.

The rail was bolted on the Scamp I have now.
Very nasty, but I think I can cover the old bolt scars in the elephant hide with grey seam tape.

If you're careful and don't pierce the interior covering you will never see the installation from the inside.

Butyl tape is a must.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #5

Name: steve
Banff, Alberta
Hey guys, just a quick thanks for the comments/encouragement - awning rail went on really easy. Drilled holes with depth collar so I didn't pierce the inside and the rest was totally straight forward.
Cheers!
Steve
nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, boler