Help me find post: poptop double seal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 09:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Help me find post: poptop double seal

I can't find this with a search but I remember someone saying when there were gaps in the seal when the top was down they put some kind of weatherstripping or seal on the camper roof. Who was that and what was it?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Sealing Pop-Top Canvas on Trails West Campster.

Or Trails-West Pop-top Weather Seal.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #3

Registry
Thanks, but it was a recent post dealing with gaps between the Trim Lok and the camper top. I believe as recent as 2016. I just seem to be using the wrong search terms and it won't limit searches to 2016. Maybe I'll try a full google search but limit it to this site in 2016.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Thanks, but it was a recent post dealing with gaps between the Trim Lok and the camper top. I believe as recent as 2016. I just seem to be using the wrong search terms and it won't limit searches to 2016. Maybe I'll try a full google search but limit it to this site in 2016.
The keywords you need are "bulb seal trim" There are two versions of it with the trim in different orientations to the bulb. The "side bulb seal trim" is the one needed for the poptops that have a horizontal flange at the lower edge.

On the Trimlock website you will find these Trimlock pieces that have a bulb attached under the menu choice "trim seal".

There are also sellers for the product on Ebay and Amazon. It was (and still is) an automotive accessory product rather than being made specifically for use on RVs so do your search in the automotive parts categories. The measurements are many times given in metric values so have your calculator handy. I have an app on my phone for conversion factors, it gets used often when ordering parts since a lot of countries are working in metric values.

What I have quickly realized while searching for replacements for the various seals that were used on my Campster is that many of them were originally from the automotive industry. When a part was designed for use on RVs the easy way for a designer of that part to go was to choose a readily available, non customized gasket or seal from the very diverse choices available in the automotive parts catalogs and then design his RV products to fit those widely available seals and gaskets. That was a very cost effective way for buyers to obtain the seals versus having the pieces specially made to fit an RV. The good news for us who have the vintage FGTVs is that many of these seeming unobtainable pieces are still being sold. We just have to go looking for them not in the RV supply catalogs but instead in the automotive parts catalogs. I hope this explanation of how designers chose what they used on the FGTVs solves some of the frustration of finding seals and gaskets for your vintage treasures.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #5

Registry
I have the seal. That's not the problem. Sometime recently someone posted how he/she had used a second seal on the trailer top to solve a gap in the Trim Lok. I just wanted to remind myself what was done and I can't find the post. (Just occurred to me it might be on the Facebook Compact page so I'll check that.)

I got a fairly large bulb (I think it is 5/8 inch) but because there is some sag in the roof there are places it seals well and other places where it doesn't.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Do you have a link for compact campers group on Facebook?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #7

Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/435074773236312/
Old 06-10-2016, 07:30 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I have the seal. That's not the problem. Sometime recently someone posted how he/she had used a second seal on the trailer top to solve a gap in the Trim Lok. I just wanted to remind myself what was done and I can't find the post. (Just occurred to me it might be on the Facebook Compact page so I'll check that.)

I got a fairly large bulb (I think it is 5/8 inch) but because there is some sag in the roof there are places it seals well and other places where it doesn't.
I came across this double bulb seal that would mount to the roof and possibly allow the Trim lock bulb on thecover to drop down into the center. Is this perhaps what you have in mind?
http://www.trimlok.com/prod/Lid-Seal...-Seal_184.aspx
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #9

Registry
Yes, that's the kind of thing I was looking for. Not sure yet how big the gap is (still attaching the top) but that might do it. Thanks! I tried every search term I could think of and couldn't find the post but I think it referred to something like this.