Help need ideas on getting trailer into garage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Bottom line is HOA restrictions .. not anything more or less
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #22

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I've heard of someone who made a dolly out of wood to rest the trailer on. The wheels extended beside the trailer so weren't a factor. Just make the bed as low as feasible. Not sure how the wheels were mounted but even Heavy duty garden wheels would probably work with a rod thru them.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Wonder if you could be lucky enough just to let most the air out of the tire to lower it enough?
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:39 AM   #24

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
once upon a time back in the days when garages were even smaller and shorter (think model T) the early travel trailers used to come with a set of steel wheels that did not have tires on them. They were made to be switched out so you could store the trailer in a garage.

You could have them custom made at a fabrication shop. You only need two of them. Of course you would want to adhere some rubber strips around the edges to protect the garage floor. Just be sure the plate(s) are thick enough to bear the load that is being put onto them.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #25

Name: William
Trailer: Eriba Touring Pan
Connecticut
We used to have a house with a 3 car garage but only 2 cars. I got 2 rolling floor jacks (you really need 1 so that's just 1 extra). I rolled it in without wheels and put the wheels on later so I could use my Jack. I found the jacks handy to manoeuvre the trailer inside the garage since you can go sideways or at any angle by steering with the jacks.
wvorih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Thanks for everyone’s response
I’m curious ( and a bit lazy)
But if you switch from 14” tires to 10” tires... would you gain 4” ... also what are your thoughts on just put it on smaller rims without tires and rolling it on a piece of carpet or something to save garage floor
No, those numbers are the rim diameter measured at the bead.
The rolling radius of the tires is what you need to compare. So, maybe a 10" rim with a low profile tire, even a solid rubber tire that is just big enough to clear the brake drums???
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #27

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Storing the Scamp in a garage. Your a lucky person to have space in your garage. Our garage is 24' x 32' and it gets pretty crowded with the car we drive in the winter, a classic car that is bedded down for the winter and a motorcycle. We opted for a metal 12' x 20' carport that covers the 16' Scamp. Cost was a bit less than $2500 installed. I finished off the last 5' of the carport and gained storage for 2 classic Norton motorcycles. Good luck with getting the Scamp through that door.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Everyone when giving advice remember this is a situation where the OP (original poster) has no choice but to put the trailer inside of the garage. So no parking it outside with or without a cover or under an open carport. It has to be fully hidden.

They have to follow the HO (Home Owners Association) rules.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Thanks for everyone’s response
I’m curious ( and a bit lazy)
But if you switch from 14” tires to 10” tires... would you gain 4” ...
No, you would only gain 2". 8" tire would get you 3" (it is the radius from the axle to the ground that counts). Possibly a deflated 8" would get you there, hard to say.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #30

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
many people, many ideas, I would:
1) get the car type dolly for under each wheel
2) if the driveway isn't paved or concrete, get two large patio stones
3) take each wheel off in turn and rest the wheel hub on the dolly (on the patio stones if needed)
4) remove the tongue jack if it is in the way and place a dolly under the tongue
5) purchase a cheap $100.00 winch from TSC or equivalent
6)mount the winch at the rear of the garage, hook onto the back of the trailer and slowly pull the trailer in

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #31

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
many people, many ideas, I would:
1) get the car type dolly for under each wheel
2) if the driveway isn't paved or concrete, get two large patio stones
3) take each wheel off in turn and rest the wheel hub on the dolly (on the patio stones if needed)
4) remove the tongue jack if it is in the way and place a dolly under the tongue
5) purchase a cheap $100.00 winch from TSC or equivalent
6)mount the winch at the rear of the garage, hook onto the back of the trailer and slowly pull the trailer in

Joe
If the driveway isn't paved/concrete - get digging!
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #32

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Once again this forum and it’s members have provide a number of good ideas
Thanks to all that responded
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote