Help needed removing stovetop in 1980 Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #1

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Help needed removing stovetop in 1980 Trillium

All: I'm temporarily removing the stovetop in my 1980 Trillium in order to gain access to the area beneath the sink and to clean the stove. It seems fairly straightforward to remove (four screws hold the stove it to the countertop). I have turned off and bled all gas from the lines.

My question is, the gas line comes in the back of the stove and goes to the front. At the front, it's attached to a distributor for the burners. How do I remove that connection? I tried to unscrew them a bit with a wrench but it seems to torque the gas line a bit when I do that. Since copper is fairly soft, I don't want to manhandle it too much.

Do I hold one of the nuts with a wrench and then twist the other with another wrench? And is it a right-righty, lefty-loosed situation or are gas lines different? Thanks in advance for your help.

Wrench in hand,

Colleeno
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

WA
stovetop image

trying to include image file
Attached Thumbnails
trillium stove.jpg  
Old 05-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Easy-Peasy, you need to use TWO wrenches, one on the flare nut fitting on the copper tube, and the other one to hold the the connector that goes into the manifold from turning. The flare nut has to come off of the connector. Then lift the front of the cooktop and you slide it out.

If the flare nut on the copper tube is extra tight and doesn't want to come loose, you may need a "Flare Nut Wrench" to keep from damaging the fitting. A flare nut wrench look a bit like a closed box wrench with a slot in the end. It grips more surfaces than just an open end wrench. Try Sears or any auto supply store for one.

Righty-Tighty & Lefty Loosy will work just fine

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #4

WA
OK Bob!!! That worked like a charm. It's off and I have a clear view of the dungeon under the sink. Should I use teflon tape when I reconnect?

Thank you again.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
You don't need teflon tape on a flared pipe connection as you have at this type of stove connection. where it is needed on a pipe thread, but what is important is checking for leaks with soapy water when you hook everything back up.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
No!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #7

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
The flare itself is what does the sealing. I do however use a dab of pipe dope or never seize on the treads when I make these connections. I do this mostly for ease of disassembly in the future.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I have to ask, how did you get the stove cover off? I can't see anywhere that it is attached, but I can't budge it to get underneath to see what you see in the photo you posted.

Thanks.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #9

Name: Kim
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
It looks like one in my Ventura on with cover off I'm not shire what the top looks like in your brand ( mines a Colman stove ) and it snaps on so I just had to yank it hard up the two snap like fittings were one on each side
Cheyanna83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #10

WA
So if you run your hand along the back of the stovetop, you'll find an indentation you can lift to remove the stovetop. You'll meet resistance from two sturdy pin-snaps on the left and right sides of the stove. They hold pretty tight, but come off with a little effort. One side came off first for me so I could see how it was connected. To re-secure, pop it back on. Hope it works for you,

Colleen

Tags
trillium, vin