Help needed -Upper Bunk - 1973 Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
Help needed -Upper Bunk - 1973 Trillium

I bought a 73 earlier this ear. It's in very fine shape but is missing the back rest/top bunk component at the front of the trailer. I'm hoping to build a new one from plywood, I guess, but need to find out the following:
1) How is it connected to the trailer itself?
2) What are the dimensions of this piece?

Your opinion: If I don't think I'll ever use the bunk, should I just make a back cushion? I'd like to keep it as accurate as possible, but as it won't be original anyway, should i just keep it simple?

Thanks in advance,

Trilliumdon
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliumdon View Post
Your opinion: If I don't think I'll ever use the bunk, should I just make a back cushion? I'd like to keep it as accurate as possible, but as it won't be original anyway, should i just keep it simple?

Thanks in advance,

Trilliumdon
I think you should do what you want. I'm not into "original" in these trailers as much as usability and functionality. You certainly wouldn't be the only one without a top bunk, in fact, I know several that had it and removed it in order to have a more comfortable couch. A couple of big, colorful throw pillows and they are good to go.

Or use it for a while as is, and THEN see if it's something you need.

However, if you want the bunk, someone else will need to answer the other part of your question.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Welcome... Don we also have a 73 Trill and went through some of this thought process that you are in. I like the advice from Donna on using it for awhile and seeing what you really need.
We took our top bunk (and lower) down to wash the covers and clean it up, while doing this the covers never survived the wash and so we never put them back as of yet. As a temporary fix found sofa cushions that fit perfectly in the lower area and that sofa also had large pillows which have now become the back rest for the lower bunk. We will use this for awhile and see what are the best options for us.
If you still want I can get the measurements however our trailer is stored over an hour away and will probably not see it for another two weeks or so.

Quote:
I bought a 73 earlier this ear. It's in very fine shape but is missing the back rest/top bunk component at the front of the trailer. I'm hoping to build a new one from plywood, I guess, but need to find out the following:

Thanks in advance,

Trilliumdon
Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Too Don, a number of people have converted the front couch/gaucho to a small dinette. You may find you'd prefer to keep the rear dinette made up as a permanent bed and need some place to sit and relax/eat.

There's lots of examples here on FiberglassRV. Here's a couple:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mod-43536.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tte-39256.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....having no further use for the bunk, no kids/pets at home, we opt to K.I.S.S. (but spendy). We spend 'bucks' at a shop having this 'sofa' custom fit for our Trillium.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer38.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
....having no further use for the bunk, no kids/pets at home, we opt to K.I.S.S. (but spendy). We spend 'bucks' at a shop having this 'sofa' custom fit for our Trillium.
That is an awesome couch!
Nicely done!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Since I'm the only one that will probably use my egg, I use the front to sleep removed the top bunk and never have to take the dinette table down.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

Alberta
Registry
I'm intrigued by the idea of making the front a sleeping area. At this time, all I have where the top bunk should have been is about 20 screw holes in the rail. Part of me wants to respect the things that made the Trill the nifty little trailer it was, but for sure I'll never use the bunk. I'm thinking either the couch or the front table makes a lot of sense. What a great group this is! Thanks to all.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Trilliumdon
I bought my '72 Trillium last summer and while the top bunk wasn't there the cushion was. It was being used as a back cushion. I found the 3" it took up made the front seat just narrow enough to be uncomfortable for sleeping; I removed it. When I'm traveling long distances I use the front bench for taking a nap without having to put the dinette down. I travel alone. If you don't need the bunk, forget about it.
Enjoy!
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
The first thing we did with out then new Scamp was to remove the top bunk. It is much more roomy and that is where I sleep.

Even if we went out solo the front bed would be the one used for sleeping and the back left as dinette. We would put it down while traveling though to keep the stress off the hinge that holds the table up.....or get a pedestal for perm table.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #11

Name: 'bert
Trailer: Scamp 13'
central
I'm having just the opposite issue. With three chillin's plus ma & pop, I'm trying to figure out a format/addtion/mod that will sleep the five of us in a 13' rig.. :
Old 03-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
13'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I'm having just the opposite issue. With three chillin's plus ma & pop, I'm trying to figure out a format/addtion/mod that will sleep the five of us in a 13' rig.. :
we're gonna need a bigger trailer.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #13

Name: 'bert
Trailer: Scamp 13'
central
At Least we figured out what was causin' all dem kids!--->:
Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Bert, let me know if you figure that out, lol. I'm trying to sleep 4 but I was thinking of a removable bunk or something over the rear bed so me and Hubby wouldnt have to share that tiny dinette bed. I'd sleep on the lower front bunk, one kid in the upper front bunk and another kid in the removable bunk over the main bed. Then Hubby gets the main bed all to himself. That man has 24" shoulders! Just never could come up with a way to attatch the removable bunk without putting holes in the fiberglass. Then we'd ALL get a good night sleep, not just the kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #15

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
I'm intrigued by the idea of making the front a sleeping area. At this time, all I have where the top bunk should have been is about 20 screw holes in the rail. Part of me wants to respect the things that made the Trill the nifty little trailer it was, but for sure I'll never use the bunk. I'm thinking either the couch or the front table makes a lot of sense. What a great group this is! Thanks to all.
Let me know if you still want to make it a bunk.. I have 5 Trilliums and can show you pictures of the bunk set up if that's direction you want to pursue... some have safty rails at the top bunk some don't, not one of the 5 I have are the same even though some are the same year. Some have upper storage cabinets in front one just in back and one in both and one none at all and they are all orginal that way because their are no screw holes to say different... to make it a bunk it's really very simple if you want to go in that direction.To make it a bunk really does not take away from making it a couch by no means.........
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #16

Alberta
Registry
I'm not sure I'd do it, but would love a shot of how the bunk is fastened to the wall. I would really appreciate that.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #17

Name: soulman
Trailer: 1972 trillium 1300
Maine
Red face

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Trilliumdon
Yes keep it simple,if u dont intend on using upper bunk.it is more comfortale to sit in when the back is not attached.also our 13ft trillium is a 72 and vin starts with 13-1105----.also the belly band is rivited,i have to redo some of mine as they have pulled away.
soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #18

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd do it, but would love a shot of how the bunk is fastened to the wall. I would really appreciate that.
The bunk is attached to the "wall" by attaching the bed piano hinge to the wood strip under the front window. (you probably see 12-20 holes scattered under the window frame). The screws from the front window outside holds the wood up and the wood holds the bed/back cushion of the couch up.

Trillium used untreated plywood as the backing of the windows and as the windows leaked (as they do over 30+ years) the wood rots. If you do add the bunk word from previous experience - check out the wood underneath first before attaching the bed hinge. It is a god time to check to see if you have a larger problem before you get it all back together.

I will try to get you some pictures of my last year rebuild as soon as my trill is melted out of the snowbank in front of it.
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
I'd look forward to seeing any rebuild pix for sure. As for the snow, I finally dug mine out last night and got it home. Now the work begins! First priority is to remove the Belly Band and look for problems under there. This one is detached from about 1/3 of the trailer already, so I'm expecting rot. There's a good thread on how one guy dug down, got the rot out and replaced it with epoxy. That's probably the plan for now.

Thanks for the reply,

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Sarah K View Post
The bunk is attached to the "wall" by attaching the bed piano hinge to the wood strip under the front window. (you probably see 12-20 holes scattered under the window frame). The screws from the front window outside holds the wood up and the wood holds the bed/back cushion of the couch up.

Trillium used untreated plywood as the backing of the windows and as the windows leaked (as they do over 30+ years) the wood rots. If you do add the bunk word from previous experience - check out the wood underneath first before attaching the bed hinge. It is a god time to check to see if you have a larger problem before you get it all back together.

I will try to get you some pictures of my last year rebuild as soon as my trill is melted out of the snowbank in front of it.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Trilliumdon
Hi-

I'm in this conversation a little late, but if you still need those dimensions....
Are you talking about the "gaucho" style flip-up that's hinged in the middle? Clever design, that! But I didn't need the extra bunk, so I took mine out, took it apart, and removed the foam and cushions.
The bare hinged wood (reassembled) is in my garage and I'd be happy to get it out, "magic marker" the dimensions on the wood, take a picture, and post it for you. (My trailer is a 4500, but I think the dimensions for this part would be the same.)
It's a pretty simple pattern, and a lot easier to understand with the upholstery off.
Just repost if you still want the info...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium