HELP!!! New to be 13’ Scamp owners. Need help with bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: scamp 13' standard
Washington
Registry
HELP!!! New to be 13’ Scamp owners. Need help with bed

We have the opportunity to order a 13’ Scamp with either the regular 45” bed or to order the larger bed, which is 10” wider. ( We were offered this new option with the new standard 13ft Scamp.) If we order the bed that is 10” wider, the closet will be 10” narrower; also, the side at the sink and stove area will be 10” narrower. We would like the opinion of 13’ Scamp owners, if you would trade for the wider bed and 10” less counter and closet space (the closet closest to the bed will be 10” narrower).

Thanks!

Paul and Barbara
barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16 Layout 4
New York
I just picked up a 16 layout 4 from Scamp, if I was offered the larger bed I would have seriously considered it. I had never been inside a Scamp before and was concerned about the bed size. After picking up the Scamp and spending 5 nights in it getting home, we slept well on the standard bed size, which I believe is the same on both the 13 and 16. I am 6'1" and 220 for reference. We didn't cook inside, but it was nice to have the counter space for our stuff at night and room for the electric perc and coffee cups in the morning.

Ken
kenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #3

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
You could take into consideration how much cooking you are going to do inside and use of the sink. We never used our sink in our 13' and rarely but to heat water did I use the stove because we spent the majority of the time cooking and doing dishes outside. Habits from the tent and pop up days and not to mention it can get pretty small in a 13' fast. Even with our 5ver I wash dishes mostly outside and cook outside ajusting meals to the weather. A nice screen room will add room to cook, clean and eat.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
We have the opportunity to order a 13’ Scamp with either the regular 45” bed or to order the larger bed, which is 10” wider. ( We were offered this new option with the new standard 13ft Scamp.) If we order the bed that is 10” wider, the closet will be 10” narrower; also, the side at the sink and stove area will be 10” narrower. We would like the opinion of 13’ Scamp owners, if you would trade for the wider bed and 10” less counter and closet space (the closet closest to the bed will be 10” narrower).

Thanks!

Paul and Barbara
We have a 13 Deluxe and we love the wider bed, the new option is well worth a little closet space.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
You'll get lots of opinions on this one.
For us the standard bed is worth the closest and counter space.
We don't have any problems with the small bed, we like each other enough that sleeping close together isn't a problem.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
So Scamp has changed there molds to offer a larger bed in fiberglass. You've got to love competition. Bigger bed vs. space for stuff, I'd take the bigger bed. Either way, enjoy your new Scamp. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
So Scamp has changed there molds to offer a larger bed in fiberglass. You've got to love competition. Bigger bed vs. space for stuff, I'd take the bigger bed. Either way, enjoy your new Scamp. Raz
Just on the 13.(at least for now)
Old 05-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Just on the 13.(at least for now)
Nothing on the web site?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
You'll get lots of opinions on this one.
For us the standard bed is worth the closest and counter space.
We don't have any problems with the small bed, we like each other enough that sleeping close together isn't a problem.
I'm betting you have a larger bed at home and still like each other there as well!
The 44" bed has proved adequate for many years for most buyers, but it's nice to know the option is available in the 13.
When I bought mine the option was only available on the Deluxe, same with the shower.
When in 2008 Scamp started offering a shower in the Standard, I thought it might hurt the value of my Deluxe, Especially with the persistent weight myth. Then I thought ...Who cares what my heirs get for my Scamp if they decide to sell it!
So now there are more options in the Standard that used to be available only on the Deluxe. The fact is you still can't get a Deluxe without ordering a Deluxe, and it is still worth the difference.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #10

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Smaller bed.. more storage
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Nothing on the web site?
I mention the change a few weeks ago when it was implemented.
It is a new change and it will take time for the brochures and the web site to catch up. For details call Wayne at (800) 346-4962
Old 05-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
Smaller bed.. more storage
The increase in storage under the bench and in optional upper cabinet storage will more than make the small loss of side closet space.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #13

New Brunswick
Space and easily accessible, usable space are two different things.
We had a closet rod installed in the front closet for hanging storage and installed shelves in the side closet.
In addition the small bed gives you the burners side by side instead of front to back layout with space between the sink and stove.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
Space and easily accessible, usable space are two different things.
We had a closet rod installed in the front closet for hanging storage and installed shelves in the side closet.
In addition the small bed gives you the burners side by side instead of front to back layout with space between the sink and stove.
Mine came with a front closet rod and shelves in the tower, and the burners are side by side.(kinda wish they weren't).
We sleep in our Scamp every night and use the table space every day while Camping, but we cook inside far less often (except the microwave)
extra counter space is no problem....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0031.JPG  
Old 05-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Paul and Barbara, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

As you can tell, you're getting lots of opinions, all are valuable. I think the decision whether or not you need a bigger bed has more to do with your stature. Taller/larger people need more space than the more petite. I'd go with the bigger bed. You can always find places to store stuff, but you can't change the bed size once the trailer is manufactured (without lots of modifications).

I have found there are two things people want when they camp. A comfortable place to sleep and a comfortable lawn chair for sitting outside. Everything else is gravy!

Good luck with your decision!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #16

New Brunswick
Space to sleep is the key.. whatever is comfortable. We just got back from 63 days with the small bed with no problem... we have a teardrop with the same size bed area so we are used it.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #17

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
If you would have asked before I slept in it, I would have said I want the bigger bed. I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'8".

However, now having used a standard bed, I would stick with the standard bed if I ordered a new 13' Scamp today.

You will get lots of opinions. Good luck!
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We have had both the standard and the Deluxe (larger bed etc.) Scamp 13', but if you look at our layout on our profile you'll see that we have a lot MORE storage than we did with standard front bunk/couch. We love the Deluxe layout.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #19

Name: Sherry
Trailer: Scamp
California
We have a 2008 13' Scamp with the standard bed, my husband and I are not large people, husband is tall 6'1" but slim and I am petite yet we have to sleep head-to-foot, we are both "side sleepers" we would gladly give up the 10" in storage for a wider bed! Good luck and enjoy ! Small sleeping space or not, the Scamp is awesome!!
Sherry P Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp 16 Custom Deluxe
Washington
Registry
I recently sold my Scamp 16' for the very reason of the incredibly narrow bed. We found the 4 feet is not wide enough to sleep two normal (us) people with any degree of comfort. Narrow beds can make for some very long nights.

Tags
scamp