Help! Parkliner roof leak above fan! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Supposing for the moment that it "looks" like a hex head "screw," an Allen key would be useless. A hex head screw (lag) or bolt requires a box, open end, adjustable wrench, socket, pump or other pliers to insert/remove. An Allen wrench turns an Allen setscrew and bolts with several head designations not including hex head. To me, it looks like a spline or torx fastener but blowing up that photo to 10X wouldn't make it any less of a guess. I'm reasonably certain that, whatever its function, it is not one of the several fasteners which secure the flanged housing of the fan to the roof of the trailer.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #22

Name: Randy
Trailer: casita
Florida
I wouldn't mess with the trim inside anyways, let the pro's deal with that. My idea of a quick fix is duct tape. They even have it in white. Cant roll down the road with a tarp.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #23

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
I'm guessing they are rivets.

My new scamp stove/sink overhead light switch broke and I tried to remove fixture. I first thought of allen head then torq head but finally looked in cabinet above fixture.... yep, rivets.

Ches
Chesley Sugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #24

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Just saw this today...so there are 2 ParkLiners in NJ!

Well good luck getting it repaired from ParkLiner...kinda far away to rebed some screws. My ParkLiner is a distance away and I can remember what the heads look like for the fantastic fan. What were the other ones? I dont think they are rivets. Take them off, lift the unit up scraps off what they used to seal the hatch down with and clean it well add butyl tape and put back together. Its not too complex and I wouldnt doubt if they used silicone in it...I remember hearing someone else had a window leak and found it was caulked with silicone...Chandler had them back down and fixed it corectly.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #25

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I remember hearing someone else had a window leak and found it was caulked with silicone...Chandler had them back down and fixed it corectly.
Greetings, as a preemptive strike i asked Chandler what product he used on the side windows for caulking and posted at my build thread a few weeks back.

What Chandler uses is a product you can find at LOWES or Home Depot called OSI QUAD Clear 000. There are some pretty cool You Tube videos on the stuff.

I wish i could help solve the attachment puzzle but i had Chandler install the MaxxAir MaxxFan 5100K and it is flush with the interior roof and the trim ring needs no fastening like the stock fantastic fan install.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesley Sugg View Post
I'm guessing they are rivets.
My money rides on it not being a rivet as it doesnt look like any I have seen,
I also think calling the trailer manufacture is in order - although you are not near them most manufactures if the trailer is under warranty will arrange for the work to be done at an RV shop close to where you are.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
.....Well good luck getting it repaired from ParkLiner...kinda far away.....
Are you saying that the 2yr warranty only applies to the factory, not Reimbursement from to a local RV repair? I know you bought used but wondering if you knew from the paperwork that came from Harry. Thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #28

New Jersey
Registry
Personally I'm figuring I have no warranty....Been 6 weeks since I emailed Chandler about the batteries being vented....called first thing this morning spoke with Cameron and he said he would have Chandler call me back...I hope he rectifies the battery box issue or I'm going to be building a vented box...I know I bought mine lightly used but some issues like this should be rectified by whoever owns it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Personally I'm figuring I have no warranty....Been 6 weeks since I emailed Chandler about the batteries being vented....called first thing this morning spoke with Cameron and he said he would have Chandler call me back...I hope he rectifies the battery box issue or I'm going to be building a vented box...I know I bought mine lightly used but some issues like this should be rectified by whoever owns it.
Deryk did the paper work that came with the trailer say the Warranty wasn't transferable or is it because you haven't heard back from Chandler? If its the later your not the first one here to mention they a a little slow to respond. Hopefully this am call will get you a response. Your right it is a serious safety issue that came to light so I'm a little surprised they haven't made an effort to track down their trailers to fix it. They haven't made that many trailers so it shouldn't be to big of an under taking even for a small company.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
They don't keep a list of trailer owners they sold too, ya know for people to see one in their local area. Parkliner posted this on their facebook or here, I can't remember.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
They don't keep a list of trailer owners they sold too, ya know for people to see one in their local area. Parkliner posted this on their facebook or here, I can't remember.
Hummm that would be a bit odd if its actually the case. How would they keep track of what trailers are under warranty and to whom and how do they advise their customers about recalls on appliances etc? which do happen from time to time.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #32

New Jersey
Registry
I didnt get alot of paperwork from Harry, mainly just the warrany info from the appliances etc...The ParkLiner isnt here with me, about 60 miles away so cant run out and check.

Hopefully the call today will get things moving, I don't think its fair that I need to blow some real cash for a pair of battery boxes that will fit in the enclosed area when they need to order some custom boxes to fit. I dont mind installing it... but they need to get them out to their customers. Im sure they have a list of who they sold them to...scary thought if they dont.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #33

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post

Maybe Parkliner could persuade the owner of this site (Andy Rabinowitz, DBA "Social Knowledge") to put up a dedicated website just for the brand. That works really well for the Escape brand.

They even have one of those fancy-dancy maps with little pushpins you can click on to find out where all the trailers are.

Could help-and certainly can't hurt!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Maybe Parkliner could persuade the owner of this site (Andy Rabinowitz, DBA "Social Knowledge") to put up a dedicated website just for the brand. That works really well for the Escape brand.

They do have their own Facebook page with 753 likes/followers and they seem to post updates etc to it.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Escape Trailers didn't create the Escape Forum. If you look back on FGRV about four or five years, you will find that Jeff Zajas thought it would be a good idea. And, I supported him. And, then the moderators at the time on FGRV put me in moderation, as in I couldn't post. And, then Jeff made me a moderator on Escape Forum ( which was sweet revenge I must say, since there was no way to protest ). Jeff sold his Escape and got an Airstream Bambi, but kept the site going. And then he sold the Airstream and got a small motorhome and then sold the Escape Forum site to Andy, who owns this site.
As for Parkliner, I don't think creating a site is what they need right now. From the posts I've seen here, such a site would be nothing but grief.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #36

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
That screw through the wood trim only holds the wood to the fan. It screws in through the wood and into the plastic part of the fan that comes down through the opening. You will have to get that out, along with the others. Can't remember if there is 2 or 4, then on the roof you will have to drill out all the rivets. Take a thin pry bar and gently get under the fan flange all around to loosen it up. They use to put them down with marine glue, so go slow and easy. Of coarse this is after you get all rivets, screws in through the wood, and the 4 on the plastic trim piece that fastens on to the wood. If you like just before you get to it send me a pm with your phone number and I'll walk you through the process. I have done several of these on different makes. I will tell you how to do it the right way. Tim
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #37
DJO

Name: DJO
Trailer: Parkliner #40 something
Colorado
Registry
Man you guys are great!!! Very helpful!!! When we get a camper these things are going to really help.
DJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #38

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah...shite happens lol

Old 07-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #39

Name: Marta
Trailer: Parkliner 2012
New Jersey
Hi Deryk! Glad to see we have other PL owners in NJ. on the fan, I am with Stairman - duct tape will have to do until we can get it serviced. Tried every bit we own and nothing. We just got home and the Gander canopy kept our roof dry through massive rains in Northern Pa. We are not DIY'ers. Chandler did call but we had no reception so waiting for a call back.

Have PL connected to our house power to charge and discovered we are not getting full electrical power. Checked house outlet and extension cord - all reading Ok. checked all fuses. If Batteries are dead on trailer shouldn't I still have full power when plugged in? Ugggh! Could the controller have gone bad?
Martica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #40

New Jersey
Registry
Not sure about the power... guess your going to have to take it to a rv place and have them check the batteries with a meter. When mine die one day Im going back to a lower priced lead acid deep cycle battery with more then 55 amp hours. Do you have 1 battery or 2? Did Chandler ever contact you about boxes to vent your batteries? He still hasn't gotten back to me. Im gonna give him till next week with the holiday and all.

Tags
parkliner