help save the scamp and my patience - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #1

Name: Rolley3
Trailer: SCAMP
Illinois
help save the scamp and my patience

Help, I have a 1985 Scamp that I had rehabbed at scamp in MN. this winter. I asked if the systems all worked toliet shower etc. just before finally using to go and do an art show in Quincy IL I found out that the ' new pump" leaked which scamp sent a new one asap. The big problem is the bath room toilet it leaks water into the bowl as we where driving, filling up the black tank; and splashing into the shower pan the onto the carpeted floor, which got soaked. I did not leave the fresh water pump on while driving but i really dont remember. anyway all the portable water was gone when we got to our camp site, i filled the tank again and sure enough the shower pan and toilet where of light brown water, and when I tried to flush the water would not go down because the black tank was full also water was leaking outof the seams between toilet and square raised mount and shower pan. Scamp was no help.do fix water valve on toilet and put in new seals, where do I find parts for this (its a Mansfield Traveler model 911 or 910)

Next the bed sucks for comfort even after spending money replacing all the cushions. Where can I find a gel foam mattresse pad to use ontop of the bed in the right size with out spending a massive amount of money...already put $9000. into trailer.please help
rolley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Can't help with the water issues, but for foam try "foambymail.com, or what we did was buy a 3 or 4" memory foam topper from Amazon and cut it to fit. Foam cuts real easy with an electric carving knife.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Sorry for your water issues and I don't know about them. I put 3" piece of foam over the stock cushions in my Scamp and it sleeps fine. A piece of 4" would be better though. I had the 3", it was an old piece off our bed that I had ben throwing down in the tent to sleep on so I was not out anything to cut it to fit the Scamp. I use Double/Full size sheets and a Twin size comforter on top. I did not want a bunch of extra comforter hanging off and the Twin size works great. Good luck, hope you get your water issue sorted, they can be very aggravating.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
1)Install a valve in the water line feeding the toilet . Easy to do! - cut water line-
remove short piece of water line - insert ends of water line in valve 2) Did you shut the pump switch off or was the pump cycling off the pressure switch? 3) Was the shower drain valve closed so as to prevent grey water from backing up in the shower ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
IPurchased an inexpensive 3" memory foam from Walmart and cut to size using an electric knife - it fixed the uncomfortable bed issue.

Your Mansfield Traveler model 911 or 910 is a Sealand and parts for it should be pretty easy to find. Do a google to find all the parts you need as they are available at lots of places. Scamp may even have some/many of them. Not much has changed over the years on those.

A Traveler Spec Diagram can be found on this website with the part numbers etc. If you google the web or this site you will also find owners manuals for it, perhaps Sealands website would be a good place to start looking.

I don't see how the fresh water tank could have emptied out and filled the toilet & holding tank without the water pump having been left on. If the water pump is shut off the only water that can enter the toilet is water that was already pumped into the trailers water lines.
In my experience it is normally to see perhaps a few cups of water having drained out of the water lines into the toilet bowl while traveling which is why I close the lid when traveling to avoid splash out into the floor into the shower pan. I also flush the toilet before closing the lid to help empty out the trailers water lines so there is little water left in the system to drip into the bowl.

There is no connections between the black tank and the grey water tank so the water is not coming form there, unless of course the PO made some major change to the trailer. Easy to tell though. If you need to dump the black tank separate from the grey water tank they are not connected.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I'm with Carol on the water issue. I don't see how the water in the potable water tank can end up in the water lines and into the toilet unless the pump was somehow running. Since the pump was recently replaced, I suspect something wasn't wired up correctly or there is something wrong with the on-off switch (short, bad switch, bad wiring, user error, etc.).
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
I'm with Carol on the water issue. I don't see how the water in the potable water tank can end up in the water lines and into the toilet unless the pump was somehow running. Since the pump was recently replaced, I suspect something wasn't wired up correctly or there is something wrong with the on-off switch (short, bad switch, bad wiring, user error, etc.).
Over use of toilet and filling black water tank.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #8

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Over use of toilet and filling black water tank.
Maybe I don't understand the OP correctly but I think he said this is happening while they are driving. Not while they are using the toilet.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Maybe I don't understand the OP correctly but I think he said this is happening while they are driving. Not while they are using the toilet.
Driving after camping a few days? Not emptying the black water tank?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #10

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Driving after camping a few days? Not emptying the black water tank?
Possibly. I don't know who would do that but maybe. The original post is pretty difficult to read and understand.

Tags
scamp