Help with rusty ugly stove top, please! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #1

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: Burro
North Carolina
Help with rusty ugly stove top, please!

We are redoing a Burro and I am trying to reuse and save everything we can to keep the cost down. The stove top is badly rusted and will not clean up no matter what I do. I am thinking it is probably chrome and not stainless. Has anyone had one rechromed? Cost? How about painting with enamel paint. Anyone had success with that? Any suggestions on an inexpensive fix that really looks good would be most appreciated. Pictures would be great! Thanks!!
elilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mine is not the best either, but it's clean and functional. I have a DIY wood cover that covers the entire thing (no one is the wiser it's not beautiful ) and best of all, the cover gives me more counter space.

You can't get much cheaper than that
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I think that buying a new one would cost less than getting it chromed? There are also RV graveyards out there where you might be able to buy a better stove top than you have for cheap-cheap.
,,,and Donna D is right on the 'money' about covering it all up!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
A photo would be a real help for offering advice.

Your definition of rust and mine may vary. Stainless steel can rust so just because you have rust doesn't mean it isn't s/s.

A magnet can sometimes tell you if it's s/s for not always as some s/s alloys are magnetic.

Bottom line: if it's s/s it can be cleaned and salvaged. If it's chromed steel it could be rechromed but the cost would likely be prohibitive. You could use a high temperature enamal to paint it and it would look good for quite awhile. The major problem would be painting over the chrome. Paint doesn't adhere well and it's not easy or healthy to remove the chrome yourself.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #5

North Carolina
Great idea-thanks!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Check ebay or Vintage Trailer Supply for a new stove. Chrome cost would be too expensive. Wire wheel in a drill may clean it up. I use air die grinders to clean many things, but thats something the average person doesn't have. Likewise with a sandblaster, but that would be cheaper than a chrome plating job and then paint it. POR 15 is great paint, but again expensive.Like Donna we also made a raised cutting board cover and very rarely use the inside stove, still thinking about removing it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
My Boler's stovetop has a crushed chrome finish. It does matter if it is chromed steel or stainless steel, so it's worth sorting out what it really is. If it's chrome plated and you hit it with a wire wheel, you're likely refinishing it... so be sure before you start!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I should have mentioned that the reason it would be good to see a photo is that it would show clearly the level of rust. Sometimes the rust is more visual than serious. Sometimes chromed objects can have pretty unsightly rust stains but with a little WD40 and some scotchbrite it cleans up quite nicely. It really depends on the level of rust what options are open to you.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As several have mentioned, a better used or even a new cooktop would cost less than rechroming what you have.

I have wirewheeled several cooktops and then painted them with hi-temp BBQ paint. It's a little sensitive to scratching, but touching up with the original spray can is easy and one can will last for years.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #10

North Carolina
Here's a picture. This is after I have scrubbed it with Bar Keeper's. It is a heavy piece, so it may be stainless but I can't say for sure. Thanks for all of your advice! I am new to this group and have never posted pictures. It appears it has to be a link so I have uploaded to snapfish and copied the link. Hope this works! Thanks for your help!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #11

North Carolina
Is there a way to just post one picture without a link??
Old 06-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #12

North Carolina
Thanks, Bob. That also sounds like a good idea. Can you get this paint at a Lowe's type store? Comes in colors??
Old 06-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #13

To answer your last question, no, you can only post via links. Go to snapfish and somewhere it will show you how to find the URL for each pic. Copy that and paste it into your post and the pic should show up.

I did see your pic though and it looks typical for a s.s. stovetop that was ignored/abused for many years.

A Brass wire wheel will help clean it up, but don't expect a "Like New" appearance, it's to far gone for that. BTW: Don't use a steel wire wheel or brush, it will leave steel particles behind that will start rusting again.

And yes, Lowes carries BBQ paint. Any color you want, as long as it's black.....

Old 06-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I cleaned up mine with a wire brush and naval jelly, which has an acid that forms a protective black oxide on the surface. I then painted it with high temperature paint which is sold in the automotive paint section of a hardware or big box store. It comes in many colors. It scratches if you slide pots around on the surface, so you need to treat it somewhat gently.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elilley View Post
Is there a way to just post one picture without a link??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
To answer your last question, no, you can only post via links. Go to snapfish and somewhere it will show you how to find the URL for each pic. Copy that and paste it into your post and the pic should show up.
No... you can directly attach many types of files, including photos. Use the "Manage Attachments" button. If your photo is currently on some other site, you will need to download it to your computer first.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ahhh no, you can upload directly from your PC, you don't have to host the pictures elsewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	61266

On edit: I see Brian has already answered!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #17

Ooops, didn't know that, my bad

Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #18

See Bob... we ALL continually learn new things
Old 06-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I see Brian has already answered!
True, but Donna one-upped me by illustrating her version with an image... uploaded by the very same procedure!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #20

We are ALL on the same page... helping people who are helping people!