Help with Scamp 13 options - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I agree with a number of statments in John's and Byron's posts. The primary advantage of our 16 over a 13 is the bathroom. I feel there is little towing difference between towing a 16 or 13 and certainly not an issue with your tow vehicle. I also agree with the earlier post that you should get brakes if you get a 13.

I've never bought a new trailer but I suspect the difference in price between a 13 and 16 is not proportional to their size, personally I'd go with a 16 but I'm sure one can be happy in a 13, I know our son is happy in his 13.

We've had trailers where we've left the bed set up and now, one we take apart each day. I make the bed and find that taking it apart is just as fast as having to make a perfect bed each day. It does take about 5 minutes.

We stay in all kinds campgrounds and average about $20 a day. There are lots of ways to reduce your camping bill, a whole different thread. This month it's $15 a day for camping.

I agree with get as much storage space as possible. So much of the space is not conveniently accessible or is simply inaccessible, the reason we modified our rig so much.

One thing we did before we hit the road was to move into the trailer and lived in it to figure out what we need and how we would live without hitting the road.

Another thing you could do is to make an appraisal of what you'd think you take in on paper figure out where that stuff would fit within the confines of a 13. I started with a list of each compartment and it's size and figured out where everything would go. It adds a little realism to the process before you plunk your money down.

It's great to read about people getting started. We've done all kinds of things in our lives but nothing beats RVing.... maybe there's something .....

Your daily cost pretty much what I would consider the very high end. Last winter out daily camping cost was around $7.50 per night, 97 nights. I simply will not pay over $20.00 per night, at least I don't intend to. I might have to eat those words this winter for one night.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16

Actually I'm happy to average $20 a night.

This month we happen to be staying at an Escapee Park. Last month we spent 2 weeks at a more expensive park so we could be close to and visit with old RV friends. We considered it a good use of money. Most of our more expensive camping experiences relate to friends, family and group rallies. Other than that we are careful.

In general we do not stay in expensive, resort like settings.

Unfortunately in the eastern portion of the country there is little in the way of public lands and national parks where rates can be low for those with a golden eagle pass. As well we don't do any Walmart or the like camping, more my wife's choice than mine. Private northeastern campgrounds on a daily basis have become expensive and many states have dramatically increased their public campground prices.

We're very dollar conscious, not so much with others but with ourselves. There are lots of methods for saving money while RVing and in our 11 year of mostly living on the road I can assure you we're careful.

We actually have documented every RVing expense over 11 years on a daily basis and fine RVing very affordable.

Safe and affordable RVing to all.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #17
Name: Gary & Kan-Mui
Trailer: Scamp 13 ("Eggspats")/ Jeep Liberty
Thanks for your help!

Earlier this month we requested help in choosing options for our Scamp - now either 13 or 16 - to be ordered from China in Jan.

The information you provided through this forum or via email has been very helpful. We want to say "thank you"...and look forward to meeting some of you when we return to the US next summer and began our travels there.

Best wishes to all, Gary & Kan-Mui (Karen)
oldchinahands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #18
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
Hope to see you and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
hi china, i guess you probably have your order in, but heres my opinion,,,remember oppinions are free,,,,and worth every penny.

awning. get it. the set up very easy and a little sprinkle or hot sun becomes no problem if you want to sit out and have lunch, or read or what ever. good value for the money.

air conditioning is a personal choice. my wife has asthma and humidity is a big problem for her. and hot summer nights make it hard for me to sleep. so its a comfort and health thing for us and again well worth the money.
you can fake it with a windo unit, but putting it in and taking it out, you risk damaging your trailer. plus its just not very pretty. the rooftop is more expensive, but well proven and durable. so i am having one put on my trailer i just ordered.

as to tv antenna, depends where you will camp. a lot of times there just isn;t much of a signal. a satelite dish is a good option if you watch a lot of tv. personaly we don;t spend that much time sitting in the camper , so for us a nice collection of dvd's and a small portable dvd player is all we have. i do insist on a good radio with am/fm/and shortwave. its enjoyable to just sit back and tune in to all sorts of different programing. and allows me to watch and enjoy the things going on around me.

well , best of luck and hope to see you on the road someday. let us know what you went with,
we get our scamp march 19th.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
as to the bed thing. we camp at state and national parks and use their restrooms. lol and yes i have one more year to that gold pass for the half price we got the front couch/bunk bed set up this way we will leave the bed made up and sit on the couch to relax. with a couple tray tables we can eat, play cards or games, or work on crafts.
with the bunks we can take the grand kids once in awhile for a nice trip.

john warren is offline   Reply With Quote