help with seams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
I've seen it here somewhere before but cant find it again in a search..... seams. Could someone tell me where to get the vinyl t-molding that is meant for tidying the seams of the boler? I know someone has a link to where to get it. I've tried all hardware stores, the local rv place, and a marine shop. The previous owner(s) used white tape and under is all old glue. I want it done right before i hang the curtains. Has anyone else had any success with other ways? I've thought of thin wood, but as a last resort. thanks
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Someone on here a while back posted a 'how to' seam repair. I don't off hand know how to find the page but basically, if you go to a hardware store that sells wall paneling and get lengths of their " I " shaped plastic joining (white coloured) strips and cut off one side of the strip, leaving you with an more T shaped piece, this piece fits into the slots on the walls/ceilings where the old strips were held in place.

Failing that, take masking tape and run a length of it along both sides of the seam to be filled, using a moistened finger, carefully fill the gap between the strips of tape with caulk and remove the tape. (The tape acts as a guide to allow a smoother, more even finish)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I saw some at camping world the other day, along with trim lock.

I wonder if they will ship to Canada
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
I posted this some time ago, but here it is again.

Boler seam tape for sale:
The roll contains 150' and will do 4 trailers. It's exactly like the original.
Cost is $55 includes taxes and shipping and you can sell the remainder of the roll to other Bolerites.

Wolf Shedler
RR1 Lyndhurst Ont. K0E-1N0
613-659-4695

Incidentally, This is called "T" Molding. It is the same as the plastic "T" edging developed for use in cabinet work on shelving, furniture etc. and found in most lumber yards. Unfortunately none of the places I have checked out have the 1" wide type.
The "T" molding has a barb on the spine that snaps into a small plastic channel that is in between the sheets of Ensolite. It is about 1/2" wide and glued to the fiberglass shell. If you are careful and do not damage that channel you can reuse it. Other wise you are S.O.L as I have yet to fine a supplier to match or replace that channel.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #5

Registry
Thanks, i'll phone ontario and check camping world. I'm not inclined to use caulking. I did, decided it was not a good enough finished look, then spent 2 days and many pairs of gloves getting it off with zylene and goof off I guess i am a martha after all.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
YES, the chaulking IS a last resort, for sure... but an option IF you are stuck.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Cyndi H, Please post a note here if the guy still can supply the molding. I have been procrastinating on ordering some. I have a few pieces I would like to replace.
Thanks
Con
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I've seen it here somewhere before but cant find it again in a search..... seams. Could someone tell me where to get the vinyl t-molding that is meant for tidying the seams of the boler? I know someone has a link to where to get it. I've tried all hardware stores, the local rv place, and a marine shop. The previous owner(s) used white tape and under is all old glue. I want it done right before i hang the curtains. Has anyone else had any success with other ways? I've thought of thin wood, but as a last resort. thanks

Cyndi, I have no idea what Boler seam tape looks like as I have 2 Scamps.
One of them is a fixer upper and there was about a 40 or 50 foot roll of unused white vynil t moulding in the trailer. The exposed surface is about 7/8 of an inch wide and the ribbed post which would go into the seam is about 5/16 of an inch.
There is also 2 rolls of double sided tape that I assume you would use to attach the t moulding to the walls.
I imagine that this was bought to cover the seams in the Scamp but it will not work as Scamp uses a different system.

If this is what you need it is yours for the price of the postage.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:15 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quote:
One of them is a fixer upper and there was about a 40 or 50 foot roll of unused white vynil t moulding in the trailer. The exposed surface is about 7/8 of an inch wide and the ribbed post which would go into the seam is about 5/16 of an inch.
There is also 2 rolls of double sided tape that I assume you would use to attach the t moulding to the walls.
I imagine that this was bought to cover the seams in the Scamp but it will not work as Scamp uses a different system.

John
Cyndi & John,
I was just starting to look for the seam material as I have a few sections I need to replace. Cyndi, if you don't need or use the complete roll let me know.
Thanks, Dave
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:37 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Cindy & John, although I have not done this I just got off of Bolerama site and read that some people use that double sided sticky tape made by 3M.
I would this would work but you would have to make sure what your sticking it to is real clean then apply tape and the sticky side faceing out would be coated with telcom powder till sickyness is gone.
I have not done this but I imagine it would work but my wonder is how long will it stand up to any condensation or water problem but at least it is a cheap quick fix and if it lasted a year it may be worth it.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:03 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Seams...almost as popular a topic as wax and axles

Here's a bunch of reading:
Inside seam tape/plastic looking stuff in Trillium

FINALLY... I made peace with my seams!

How do we cover/paint that yellow seam tape?

Help for Trillium Seams, Anyone know of a solution or idea

Helpful-Links > Mouldings

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:

John
Thanks anyway, but i need 2 inch wide as the previous occupants spread the glue about 2 inches wide. Plus the zylene removal of the caulking spread a bit of glue even wider so 3 inch would be ideal. I will post the solution when i find it. Please keep the ideas coming, i need them. I phoned ontario, no response, and all i could see on the camping world website was stop leak tape and something that looked like tape. I want a tailored finished look, not tape on the walls. It's out there, i'll know it when i see it. On the bright side, my cushions and curtains are done, I'll post some pics when i have them in.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #13

Registry
Thanks, i'll file this away for when i have time for more research. I may also try floor molding if i can find any at least 2 inches wide. I like the look of the person who did theirs in oak trim, too. I may end up doing it in thin white baseboard if i cant find suitable plastic. I really wanted to get it done before i put in the curtains, but i cant wait-they look too good.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #14

Trailer: 1975 Trillium
I also am looking for the TEE molding for the interior seems
of my Trillium.
Anyone know of a sorce or substitute? The wood counter TEE molding is different.

Rob

Quote:
Rob Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
I also am looking for the TEE molding for the interior seems
of my Trillium.
Anyone know of a sorce or substitute? The wood counter TEE molding is different.

Rob
I have been too busy to try it yet, but i was thinking of the T- cap strip for floor seams. I dont know its name. There is a nice looking solution out there somewhere, we will find it.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #16

Registry
Has anyone else used scamp seam tape on a boler? Is it wide enough? Does it look 'finished', or just like you have tape on the walls? I looked today, but thought i would ask before i ordered some. Thanks