Help with Suburban Furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Whitewater Retro 15
Washington
Help with Suburban Furnace

Hello,
My mom has a Whitewater Retro 15 trailer with a Suburban propane furnace (Model NTSEQ), and we're not having any luck turning on the furnace. She has the furnace that is separate from the AC unit and is turned on via a thermostat on the wall. The trailer is currently plugged in to AC power and when we turn the thermostat from "off" to "on" nothing happens. No fan, no heat, and I can't see a pilot light. I'm new to trailers so I really don't have a clue. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
jacklb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Is the propane on? Is there an an on/off switch on the very top of the wall thermostat?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
There is also a switch on the right side of the furnace. Is it on?

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklb View Post
My mom has a Whitewater Retro 15 trailer with a Suburban propane furnace (Model NTSEQ), ...
The Suburban propane furnaces I am familiar with have model number with numeric digits after the NT.. such as NT16, NT20, etc.. with a trailing alpha character. So if you can confirm the model number then get the manual with operating instructions.. that is what I would suggest.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: Whitewater Retro 15
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
The Suburban propane furnaces I am familiar with have model number with numeric digits after the NT.. such as NT16, NT20, etc.. with a trailing alpha character. So if you can confirm the model number then get the manual with operating instructions.. that is what I would suggest.
It's an NT-16SEQ. I'm usually good at figuring these kinds of things out, but I'm at a loss.
jacklb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #6

North Carolina
Not sure what the Q is for on the end of the model number but its probably trivial.
Give this a read and see if it helps:
https://www.scamptrailers.com/images...SE_NT-20SE.pdf
Old 01-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Maybe this manual in the Document Center will help? Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Suburban_NT-12SE_NT-16SE_NT-20SE
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:38 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Maybe this manual in the Document Center will help? Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Suburban_NT-12SE_NT-16SE_NT-20SE
Yes that another place to find it.. but since I am in the Scamp camp.. that is the direction I gravitate.

(Just say NO to silly cone!)
Old 01-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Shopping
California
I installed a new one that wouldn't start, so I called tech person who pointed out a possible air gap in gas line. I turned off gas and reconnected the flex hose and then it worked.
Scksbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #10

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
My Surburban NT16 furnace didn't turn on after being stored over one winter. Replaced thermostat and it worked fine...until being store over another winter - fan turned on but no pilot light. Took it to RV repair service to be cleaned/repaired....spider webs had collected in burner tube. After cleaning, worked fine. Currently in storage...so hope it works this spring??? If not, will either replace the furnace or the RV repair shop.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Do you have 12 Volt DC Power? It operates on 12 Volt DC.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklb View Post
Hello,
My mom has a Whitewater Retro 15 trailer with a Suburban propane furnace (Model NTSEQ), and we're not having any luck turning on the furnace. She has the furnace that is separate from the AC unit and is turned on via a thermostat on the wall. The trailer is currently plugged in to AC power and when we turn the thermostat from "off" to "on" nothing happens. No fan, no heat, and I can't see a pilot light. I'm new to trailers so I really don't have a clue. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
Not sure if it's the same model, but our thermostat has two switches. one for ON-
OFF, the other for temperature. The on/off switch is hard to move. Pull the cover off and inspect the way it works.
Check you fuse panel. Be sure the outside vents are clear.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: 2008 OutBack 13ft., Camp Inn 560
Illinois
Suburban Furnace

I just bought a 2008 Outback.
Pretty sure the furnace has not been used for the better part of 3 years.
After a number of attempts I finally got the blower only to come on a couple times, but it was sporadic.
A friend came over to help and suggested that it needed to be jumped, he suggested we turn the thermostat up and put a tester on the electrode in the front of the furnace. So we put the end of the tester on the firing electrode and the alligator clip on the metal frame to the right.
The furnace came on immediately. We cycled it through several times at various temp settings. It came on went off just as it should.
I don't really know what that did by putting the tester on but it worked.
David O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
clean the contacts in the theromstat. By turning up the thermostat you probably rubbed off some corrosion. A lot of folks replace the old style thermostats with a new digital one. Its an easy replacement and they can purchased at any hardware store or Walmart for pretty cheap. You don't need a programmable one just the basic digital one. Dispose of the old one safely as it probably has mercury in it. BTW if your trailer wasn't level it will throw off the mercury switch and your temperature settings.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace