Here's a Toughie (screens) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: Cloud
Florida
Registry
Here's a Toughie (screens)

Has anyone heard of a place that can make screens with rounded corners? I've checked every glass, window, and camping place in my county. No dice. I don't mind their location, I can send a pattern and photos of what I need.

Many thanks
cannibal53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Pics would help. Do you not have the frames for the screen and just need to replace the mesh?
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #3

Florida
Registry
I hope this works. Here's the pic (Ithink). Give me some credit, even I can replace mesh...LOL Need to get a twin for this one so bugs don't eat me alive. The top, bottom, and rounded side has a slot in the edge of the aluminum so that it stays in the frame and can slide if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
screen 001.jpg  
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
That IS a tough one...that radius corner seems impossible to find!

I even tried searching do-it-yourself picture frame sites thinking you might be able to find some corners there that could be cobbled on to a homemade frame. No dice!

The only alternative I can think of would be attaching some velcro or snaps onto a piece of screening that you've cut to the appropriate shape....

Francesca

Late Edit:

It occurs to me that since outfits like Scamp sell replacement windows, they might have screens. This pic looks like they come with:

It might be worthwhile to write to them and ask where they get their screens. You might even get lucky and find that they have something that fits your trailer!
http://shop.scamptrailers.com/p-448-...er-window.aspx

Good luck!

F.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
RV Windows - All-Rite Replacement Screen
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Direct hit, Steve!

The crowd goes wild...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Gulp - 80 bucks apiece.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm a believer in do-it-yourself solutions to simple needs such as yours. I agree that $80 is a lot of money. After contemplating my following solutions, however, you may decide that your time is worth than $80. There is something to be said for your solution to fit perfectly as opposed to a makeshift solution. Good luck with your choices.

Here's a do it yourself idea you might want to pursue. Perhaps you can modify a flexible folding sunscreen made for automobile windshields. You could use the wiring and sew a screen from netting.
OR
You could sew a "shower cap" out of netting and stretch it over the inside frame of the window.
OR
Make a rigid frame out of wire that fits the outside frame of the window. Glue the netting onto the wire frame. Attach with straps and Velcro to rat fur on the wall (assuming you have rat fur).
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #9

Florida
Registry
I'm overwhelmed by all the info from you all.Gilda may be right that $80 is steep, but to have a proper matching screen may be worth it. Thank you so much for all your help. I've been posting pics in the Cloud gallery if you'd like to peek.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #10

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Joel,
I had a screen door made for my Cloud using some screen I bought from Walmart, velcro, and an zipper from an old sleeping bag. With the help of a friend of mine who is an amazing seamstress she put it all together into a wonderful door. You could do something similar for the windows to get you buy in the meantime while you are searching for a replacement screen or you just might find this might work better. Check out my pictures in my profile as I have some posted of the screen door.
T
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I agree $80 may be considered steep. But, it's a one and done. If you take care, it should never wear out. Having matching screens and not futzing around with a DIY solution may be priceless. YMMV

Talk to Santa
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote