High Amp Hour batteries - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #1

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
High Amp Hour batteries

I have a two 6volt series battery system in my Escape. The batteries are rated at 225 Amp hrs. Since they are in series, the system rating is still 225 Amp hrs.

I've always preferred a two 12volt batteries system because if one battery dies out in the boonies there's still 12 volts available to run critical things.
So far the max rating on a deep cycle, group 24 battery I've found is 100 Amp hrs. Since they would be in parallel, that would give a system rating of only 200 Amp Hrs, compared to 225 for the 6 volt system, a pretty hefty penalty. Has anyone found a 12 volt deep cycle battery with a higher rating?

I don't really have room to upgrade to a larger battery group.

Walt
Old 06-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Group 31s are a little bigger, both physically and in capacity, but not by a lot. Beyond that you have to go to golf cart batteries and such.

The only way to get more capacity with the same size case is to change chemistry, such as a lithium iron phosphate battery. They can discharge much further than lead acid without damage, and do many more cycles in their lifetime. On the flip side, initial cost is much higher, and you may have to invest in different chargers and battery management systems.

I'm sure there are threads about LiFePO4 batteries here.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I strongly suggest you analysis your power wants and needs before spending a lot of time and money.

I did and now have a very efficient system. All lights are LED very little current. Furnace draws around 3 amps while running. Battery is a standard 74 amphour marine battery. No other power requirements.
Week-end camping in the summer 5 days (that's long week-end) before I need to recharge. Winter time 4 days unless it gets really cold.

Analysis.
LED lights --- every light on (rarely happen) 1.5 amp
Furnace -----when running 3 amp

Time of use =

Lights about 2 hours with only about .04 amps = .08amp hours
Furnace about 20 Minutes per day = .9 amp hours.
Total daily usage = almost 1 amphour

Battery available = 34 amphours.

Under the above usage I should be able to go about a month without recharging. However there's a couple of things that are not taken into consideration like Propane detector .034amphours = daily 0.816 amp hours Which brings it down to about 15 days.

By recharging every 4 to 6 days it takes a lot less time to recharge to full.

My solar system charges at about 4 amps, to replenish the battery about 4 days would be about 2 hours. (4 days = 8 amp hours of use). Six days would take another hour.

To me that's a pretty robust system. I really suggest you do the math before investing in large battery banks and big solar systems.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
running 2 6V lead acid batteries in series is superior to 2 12V in parallel, as they wear evenly since all the current, both load and charge, runs through all the cells. parallel batteries, one is inevitably slightly stronger than the other, and will become increasing unbalanced as they age. 6 large cells is superior to 12 smaller cells. those golf cart batteries are designed for true deep cycle use, while those marine/rv batteries are more starter batteries than deep cycle, regardless of any marketing claims.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #5

SW Virginia
Byron
You are addressing a very different camping style than I outlined at the beginning. Yes, I'm aware of all that, but I prefer my creature comforts, limited though they may be.

John
I'm fully aware of all that, but I already stated my reason for preferring 2 12s. Every system has its benefits and drawbacks. Specifically if one of the 6s goes bad your trip is instantly over, not to mention loss of any food in the fridge. Not so with 12s. And unlike with 12s, finding a satisfactory replacement for a 6 is problematic in many places.

In Southern Utah for the past month, loss of a 12 would have been a manageable inconvenience. Loss of a 6 might have been a major disruption.

And Steve
Going to form 31s would be too disruptive physically. And LiPo are interesting but not proven ready for prime time in my opinion, not to mention the cost.

Thanks all.
Seems like 100 Amp hrs is a practical limit on form 24 12s.

Walt
Old 06-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #6

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
running 2 6V lead acid batteries in series is superior to 2 12V in parallel, as they wear evenly since all the current, both load and charge, runs through all the cells. parallel batteries, one is inevitably slightly stronger than the other, and will become increasing unbalanced as they age. 6 large cells is superior to 12 smaller cells. those golf cart batteries are designed for true deep cycle use, while those marine/rv batteries are more starter batteries than deep cycle, regardless of any marketing claims.
I bought 12 volt deep cycle batteries designed for Solar Power installations rather than RV/Marine since they are designed for true deep cycle use.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #7

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
I bought 12 volt deep cycle batteries designed for Solar Power installations rather than RV/Marine since they are designed for true deep cycle use.
Got a link for them?
Old 06-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Byron
You are addressing a very different camping style than I outlined at the beginning. Yes, I'm aware of all that, but I prefer my creature comforts, limited though they may be.

John
I'm fully aware of all that, but I already stated my reason for preferring 2 12s. Every system has its benefits and drawbacks. Specifically if one of the 6s goes bad your trip is instantly over, not to mention loss of any food in the fridge. Not so with 12s. And unlike with 12s, finding a satisfactory replacement for a 6 is problematic in many places.

In Southern Utah for the past month, loss of a 12 would have been a manageable inconvenience. Loss of a 6 might have been a major disruption.

And Steve
Going to form 31s would be too disruptive physically. And LiPo are interesting but not proven ready for prime time in my opinion, not to mention the cost.

Thanks all.
Seems like 100 Amp hrs is a practical limit on form 24 12s.

Walt

"Different Camping Styles" shouldn't change the fact that an analysis needs to be done. However if one is of opinion that bigger and more are better than go ahead and spend your money. It helps the economy.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The company treated me very well. The first battery I ordered came with one of the posts damaged (deformed). They sent a new one immediately. I asked what to do with the old one and they said to dispose it properly. I managed to reshape the post enough that I can use it and the new one.

They seem to hold a charge really well and since they are AGM, they can be mounted in almost any position.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
...batteries in series like each other MUCH better than batts in parallel....
...batteries in parallel are constantly discharging/cannibalizing each other when in storage...not so much while in use or under charge...
...batteries in series add the voltage while amperage stays the same....
...batteries in parallel add the amperage while voltage stays the same....
...Trojan sells some of the best RV batts on the road, the Trojan 1245 is rated 150ah @ 12vdc , giving you 300 ah and 2, 12 volt batts...I like the idea of 2 12's, in case one goes belly up on a trip, you still have a 12vdc batt left. BUT, realistically, how often would this happen(I know it does actually happen). While 2, 6vdc batts would probably live longer, how much longer would be the question...personally, I like the idea of 2, brand new, bought at same time, Trojan 1245's with battery cutoffs(on both) for when not under charge and in storage.............
madjack

p.s. COSTS...you can buy a straight up replacement batt for under 100bux Vs 2r3X the amount(or more)...this is not a good batt for regularly boondocking but, would be great and (relatively) cheap for all other uses..........mj
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I do not have an answer, but have pondered the same issues myself at length. In the end I just went with the 2-6V and have been happy for several years now. I check the water and try and keep them above a 50% discharge and they appear to be doing fine. These were just cheap ($80ish) golf cart batteries sourced locally to get me camping. When these go I hope I have time to track down and purchase some better quality (Trojan) batteries for replacements. If my ship comes in I would love to have a couple of the Lithium batteries but that is probably not going to happen. As to the being with out power issue, worst case I do have the Honda (yes I know even mentioning that will bring out the haters).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #12

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Maybe check that the battery compartment/ wiring is able to accommodate one readily available 12V in an emergency. The advantages of two 6V golf cart batteries are well documented, I'd be pleased if my Casita had room for that setup in the cave.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:57 AM   #13

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
6 volt vs. 12v

I have been boondocking several months per year for 10 years. My two 6-volt golf cart batteries have never suffered a quick death. Even with one dead cell the system worked well enough until I could replace the batteries. I use 260 amp hour batteries. Same footprint as the standard, just a bit taller. I recently switched from Trojan to Crown as Trojan costs half again as much. So far so good.
Tim D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Two 6 volt 225 AH and one 12 volt 100 AH in the hitch box all charged with 4, 100 watt flexible panels and a 1500 watt sine wave inverter create a wonderful boon dox
trailer. Hot coffee, microwave dinner watching my 32" TV playing "Phantom of the
Opera" from my Blu-ray DVD in surround sound while sipping a fine pinot noir make my golden years ring with joy..
Bob Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #15

Name: t
Trailer: Phoenix
California
FWIW when our T-125 2GC's went belly-up, they BOTH went belly-up at the same time.

BT,DT with paralleled 12 VDC batteries. IMO it is best to employ a dual sensing VSR/ACR and marine battery bank switch between them, then regularly alternate which is in use and which is the spare.

If you can not or will not do that then the ground tap should be on one battery and the hot tap should be on the other. Keep the jumper cables the same length, make them at the same time, and replace them in pairs.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Good morning Walt.

I assume you are constrained by the typical Escape plastic battery box with hose venting to outside.

Your issue is needing more storage capacity. Have you considered replacing with AGM batteries?

No box to restrict you, no outside venting and best of all you can locate them in any position except upside down. This gave me extreme flexibility when finding a location in my Escape for 530 Ah AGM storage.

Lithium, you are right - not ready for prime time. It's misleading to say you drop one in. Not so. You need to replace charger(s), monitoring controls as traditional controls since the beginning of time have followed the lead-acid chemical profile which generally speaking is a curve. LiFePo has a flat voltage "curve". This drives traditional controls crazy which adds more to the cost of Lithium conversion.

Having said and knowing how expensive Lithium storage is today along with scarcity of proper controls, on my new build underway I am installing 400 Ah lithium system. I would have stayed with AGM but new design is a one fuel system and only Lithium's characteristics will cut it.

In short Lithium storage in an RV is nice but not a s good option at this time.
Give AGM some thought, it worked very well for us in our Escape.

Good luck,

Santiago
Old 06-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Good morning Walt.

I assume you are constrained by the typical Escape plastic battery box with hose venting to outside.

Your issue is needing more storage capacity. Have you considered replacing with AGM batteries?

No box to restrict you, no outside venting and best of all you can locate them in any position except upside down. This gave me extreme flexibility when finding a location in my Escape for 530 Ah AGM storage.

Lithium, you are right - not ready for prime time. It's misleading to say you drop one in. Not so. You need to replace charger(s), monitoring controls as traditional controls since the beginning of time have followed the lead-acid chemical profile which generally speaking is a curve. LiFePo has a flat voltage "curve". This drives traditional controls crazy which adds more to the cost of Lithium conversion.

Having said and knowing how expensive Lithium storage is today along with scarcity of proper controls, on my new build underway I am installing 400 Ah lithium system. I would have stayed with AGM but new design is a one fuel system and only Lithium's characteristics will cut it.

In short Lithium storage in an RV is nice but not a s good option at this time.
Give AGM some thought, it worked very well for us in our Escape.

Good luck,

Santiago
Actually, unless Escape has made a change, the batteries are outside the trailer on the rear bumper.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Hi Jon,

Good to "see" you again.

You know, you are correct. On the 17 ft Escape I now recall the batteries being on rear bumper. You had an earlier 17 ft and am not sure if later models had them inside? As I recall having them on rear bumper helped with hitch weight.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #19

SW Virginia
Jon is correct. On an Escape 17, the batteries are still on the bumper. That certainly does lower the tongue weight, but perhaps more importantly it allows much more inboard storage space and eliminates any venting issues.
I suppose it would be possible to work up a system to permit use of a larger battery group there, but I'm really not interested in going there.

Informative discussion. Thanks all.

Walt
Old 06-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Has anyone found a 12 volt deep cycle battery with a higher rating?

Walt
I did not see anyone answer your original question. I used to install large 12v battery banks on yachts in the 1,000's Ahrs. Bigger than group 31, you should look at Slimline 12v batteries or Group "8D" batteries (or 4D but I personally have not seen a 4D battery bank).

A single 12v 8D battery can have up to 270 Ahrs. I currently have a single slimline 160 Ahr 12v battery in my tent trailer.

You will be limited to the space available. Also consider that 6v golf cart batteries are far more common and therefore more cost effective.
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote