Highlander Hybrid Brake Controller ... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Surfside
Having just bought a Highlander Hybrid for both the mileage and environmental benefits, I now plan to tug my Surfside behind it ... negating most gas benefits I would normally get (at least when I pull the trailer). Makes sense eh?

Though I can install the brake controller myself ... I'm not keen on drilling any holes in my new vehicle. Anyone have a great way to mount the brake controller securely without punching holes in my console? I was considering velcro, but I know someone out there has a great idea they've been saving ... it's a Protegy controller.

Thanks,

tim
Tim Garriock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I saw one mounted in the ashtray hole,if you have one.It was a real proffesional looking job.Just a thought.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Following suggestions from this forum and SiennaClub, I mounted my Prodigy using the metal U-bracket and a custom aluminum base onto the retractable cupholder/coin tray in the middle of my dash. When not towing, the controller is unplugged and stored in the console bin between the seats, the end of the wiring stows in another bin, and the cupholder can retract.

Other Sienna owners routinely mount their controllers inside a tilt-out bin at the bottom of the centre dash area (the same one my wiring comes from and stows in) - that's too far down for me, I and don't see how they keep it from moving (the controller needs a stable mounting point), but they like it.

I have no idea if a Highlander has a similar cupholder or bin, but the idea is to think of new uses for some of those clever interior fittings.

Quote:
Having just bought a Highlander Hybrid for both the mileage and environmental benefits, I now plan to tug my Surfside behind it ... negating most gas benefits I would normally get (at least when I pull the trailer). Makes sense eh?
Actually, yes, this makes perfect sense to me. The hybrid drive system will be beneficial for most driving - which is without the trailer - and will at least do no harm while towing. Since Toyota's Synergy drive system acts as a continuously variable transmission I expect that it will have some benefit for towing, allowing engine speed to rise as needed without dropping down a large gearing step.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:29 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Rocky R.
I mounted my brake controller to the right of the steering wheel just below the small vent in the dashboard. I did have to drill two small holes into the plastic to mount the bracket. Didn't like making holes in the new Highlander Hybrid but we are going to have it for a long time.
It is a Valley Oddessey brake controller. Did this work last year. Will get a chance to try it out next month when we get our new Casita Trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Valley_Odyssey_and_new_12_volt_power.jpg  
Rocky R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
I mounted my brake controller to the right of the steering wheel just below the small vent in the dashboard. I did have to drill two small holes into the plastic to mount the bracket. Didn't like making holes in the new Highlander Hybrid but we are going to have it for a long time.
It is a Valley Oddessey brake controller. Did this work last year. Will get a chance to try it out next month when we get our new Casita Trailer.
Roger Harshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I have just purchased a 16 Scamp, and have an appointment next week to have a controller installed on my 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Thanks for your post of your install. How is it working out? Any advice for me before I start drilling?
Thanks,
Roger
Roger Harshaw is offline   Reply With Quote