Hired Transport for 16-Footers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
I'm ramping up my egg search, and a question came up. If I were to find a great deal halfway across the country, but not have the time to go fetch it, what are my resources?

Some online bid generators for auto transport would put me in the neighborhood of $1500. I'd imagine that it would cost me at least that much to drive a week in gas, lodging, supplies and camping fees.

Anybody ever come up with any creative ways of getting That Perfect Deal into their driveway without blowing the value of the deal?
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Would it be possible to agree on a half way spot for delivery purposes?? ....just a thought?
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Uship.com is a good place to get quotes for something like that. You list what you want shipped and people bid on how much they are willing to do the job for. I've used it to get motorcycles and mopeds shipped to me before but they do all sorts of things.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I'm ramping up my egg search, and a question came up. If I were to find a great deal halfway across the country, but not have the time to go fetch it, what are my resources?

Some online bid generators for auto transport would put me in the neighborhood of $1500. I'd imagine that it would cost me at least that much to drive a week in gas, lodging, supplies and camping fees.

Anybody ever come up with any creative ways of getting That Perfect Deal into their driveway without blowing the value of the deal?
When we retrieve(or deliver) a camper , we usually like to use our Escape when possible.
It is large enough to sleep two in the back for one way, then we use the camper itself for lodging on the way home. Eventhough the camper is often in need of restoration, we have a retrieval kit which we bring along which has all the gear needed for sleeping heating or making minor repairs. Steady driving with minimal stops can yield great economies in both time and money while also giving a great sense of adventure.
If your TV can't be slept in, then you might need a motel for one way of the trip.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
When we retrieve(or deliver) a camper , we usually like to use our Escape when possible.
It is large enough to sleep two in the back for one way, then we use the camper itself for lodging on the way home. Eventhough the camper is often in need of restoration, we have a retrieval kit which we bring along which has all the gear needed for sleeping heating or making minor repairs. Steady driving with minimal stops can yield great economies in both time and money while also giving a great sense of adventure.
If your TV can't be slept in, then you might need a motel for one way of the trip.
Awesome tips, Floyd! I take delivery of my "new" tow vehicle Friday--unfortunately my beloved Subie threw a rod (and yeah, I had oil in her) last week, and my Emergency Fund has been drained in getting a good used hi-mileage Nissan Frontier...with a shell and long bed, so that would be great for the trips.

Would you care to list the stuff in your retrieval kit? (Er, I suppose it's somewhere on this forum...I'll look, but if it isn't, I'd sure appreciate it! I may have been kicked out of Girl Scouts, but I'm a fan of being prepared.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Michelle, just food for thought.
About 3 weeks ago I drove to Phoenix AZ. to buy a 16' Casita.
The pics looked great and I was willing to pay all the money for the trailer. He said all the appliances were working. He was also to have the refer turned on.
I got there after a 10 hour drive and he told me someone had stole the battery the night before and there was no propane.
I had my 1000w Honda with me so I hooked it up. The water pump worked but there was a massive leak in the trailer. There was no propane so I couldn't check the water heater.The furnace did not work and the entire trailer needed to be re riveted.
I made him a fair offer that was about half of what he was asking. He refused so I turned around and came home.
So if you find a good deal a long way from home and you can't look at it personally make arrangements for an knowledgeable, independent person to inspect the trailer for you. Don't rely on pictures and the owners description alone.
Most egg owners are very honest. I have made 2 other long trips to buy eggs and they have turned out to be as described. It only takes one.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
Quote:
I may have been kicked out of Girl Scouts, but I'm a fan of being prepared.

This made me giggle (as a Girl Scout drop out).

Good luck with the hunt, Michele!
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #8

Registry
Are you just looking for a 16-ft at this point? Because I just saw this.

http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/for-sal...0-white-city-or

Edited to say: Sorry for the wording! I meant: in case you are open to non-16-footers, here's one near you.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
That trailer is also listed on Craigslist; it's a 13-footer (I realize you probably knew that, but your post wording somehow made me think it was a 16-footer):

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/1489284137.html

No photos, unfortunately.

But... good luck if this fits your requirements

Raya

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
That trailer is also listed on Craigslist; it's a 13-footer (I realize you probably knew that, but your post wording somehow made me think it was a 16-footer):

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/1489284137.html

No photos, unfortunately.

But... good luck if this fits your requirements

Raya
What kills me is that I was looking at the Medford CL and saw it...before it even popped up on the RVS 4 SALE aggregator! And I called and left a vm (and e-mailed)--"I want it, just have one question"...but somebody either offered more or responded with a no-questions-asked offer to buy. Talk about bummed out--I'd even called a buddy and told her to get ready for a road trip!

Yeah, feeling pretty deflated. My beloved old car just blew a rod and I had to shell out for a new-to-me vehicle; good news, it's got a higher tow cap...but my budget's capacity has been skinnied down for now! I'd already decided that, for $900, that trailer was a deal even if I drove down and found it was being used as a henhouse. (er, then a $250 bare bones clamshell project popped up in Eugene, and I decided, uh, no, way over my head...even for my chickens...)

Well, keeping the chin up, I'll find something...just kills me that that deal came up within 5 hours' driving, I HAPPENED to be looking at that city's Craigslist a minute after it posted, and I STILL lost it. Pthtthtthtth!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's such an emotional roller-coaster to be shopping for something that is so popular!

Here's to your determination paying off, and soon!
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #12

Registry
Ooh, I feel your pain. What is your upper price limit right now (in case I see anything near me, which is pretty near you)?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Ooh, I feel your pain. What is your upper price limit right now (in case I see anything near me, which is pretty near you)?
Thanks, Amy! (and everyone!)

Well, after the car-related events of the last week, it's kind of tough to say without inciting a laugh riot. I could make something happen for a screaming deal on a 16', but for a 13', I'm looking at 1,800 immediate cash outlay (i.e. purchase and to safely get her home). I'm partial to the rounder glass bodies (Burro, Scamp, UHaul) but sometimes magic works in unexpected ways.

Upholstery issues are no prob--regardless of condition, I'll probably re-do that. Minor non-structural fiberglass issues, I can deal with as a good friend is a boat builder with mad skills and connections. I'm expecting to replace rivets and seals, and to mess with wiring. Truth is, I could probably handle a gutted shell, but I don't want to get too far in over my head.

I'll probably want to mod it to the degree that it will be useful as a camping/mobile office, and I'll probably do something with the bunk/bench area to create an adjustable work/storage system. I have a Coleman hot water heater and all sorts of car-camping doodads from indoor-safe heaters to home-made portable graywater systems--I'm the queen of car camping in all conditions. Just tired of having to unpack/set up everything, and the relative security of a fiberglass egg is really appealing to me. And while I yearn for the day when I can have a later-model Casita with a/c and a rockin' entertainment package, right now I'd just be thrilled with a stable chassis and secure shell.

Good news is that I've got talented and willing friends with the following skills who will ususally work for beer or the chance to borrow the trailer for a weekend or two:
Welding, locksmithing, upholstery, electric, fiberglass repair/boat building, cabinetry, and...well, rocketry. But that's for another project.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Try this site. Local farmers who travel
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Thanks, Amy! (and everyone!)

Well, after the car-related events of the last week, it's kind of tough to say without inciting a laugh riot. I could make something happen for a screaming deal on a 16', but for a 13', I'm looking at 1,800 immediate cash outlay (i.e. purchase and to safely get her home). I'm partial to the rounder glass bodies (Burro, Scamp, UHaul) but sometimes magic works in unexpected ways.

Upholstery issues are no prob--regardless of condition, I'll probably re-do that. Minor non-structural fiberglass issues, I can deal with as a good friend is a boat builder with mad skills and connections. I'm expecting to replace rivets and seals, and to mess with wiring. Truth is, I could probably handle a gutted shell, but I don't want to get too far in over my head.

I'll probably want to mod it to the degree that it will be useful as a camping/mobile office, and I'll probably do something with the bunk/bench area to create an adjustable work/storage system. I have a Coleman hot water heater and all sorts of car-camping doodads from indoor-safe heaters to home-made portable graywater systems--I'm the queen of car camping in all conditions. Just tired of having to unpack/set up everything, and the relative security of a fiberglass egg is really appealing to me. And while I yearn for the day when I can have a later-model Casita with a/c and a rockin' entertainment package, right now I'd just be thrilled with a stable chassis and secure shell.

Good news is that I've got talented and willing friends with the following skills who will ususally work for beer or the chance to borrow the trailer for a weekend or two:
Welding, locksmithing, upholstery, electric, fiberglass repair/boat building, cabinetry, and...well, rocketry. But that's for another project.
Edited to add that I already have a solar panel/battery/charger/inverter kit, as well. Here's an example of the kind of deal I could take on without special ordering a custom straightjacket...
http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/for-sal...1200-alameda-ca
Old 12-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Awesome tips, Floyd! I take delivery of my "new" tow vehicle Friday--unfortunately my beloved Subie threw a rod (and yeah, I had oil in her) last week, and my Emergency Fund has been drained in getting a good used hi-mileage Nissan Frontier...with a shell and long bed, so that would be great for the trips.

Would you care to list the stuff in your retrieval kit? (Er, I suppose it's somewhere on this forum...I'll look, but if it isn't, I'd sure appreciate it! I may have been kicked out of Girl Scouts, but I'm a fan of being prepared.
I'd have to go look to be sure , but we carry bedding, an inflatable mattress, A "little buddy" heater,a fabric privacy curtain, A rechargable battery fan, a flashlight, tire plug kit, a small grease gun, nylon rope, pull ties, wire splice kit with connectors, a magnetic taillight kit, various hand tools, bunge straps, a 5X7 plastic tarp, two different sized tow balls and, of course, DUCT TAPE!
There may be more stuff in there that I failed to mention... BTW... We also carry a cooler and bag with food and drinks, so that stops are either gas staions or rest areas.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:53 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I recently went through 6 months of looking and found the three best sources for searching were this site, http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/, and what worked best and was how I found mine was by using http://www.listnr.org/auth/login/. This is a site that searches Craigslist. I was looking for something very specific and with some patience found exactly what I was looking for. I had to buy site-unseen and drive from Sacramento to Pendleton Or, but it was worth it. I searched a radius of 1000 miles and would only consider buying in a town I knew someone, since it was through Craigslist. My father-in-law drove 3 hours to buy it for me and move it into a storage lot for me to come pick up.
Matthew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2000 14 ft Widebody Burro / 1998 Land Rover Discovery
I have used Uship.com for shipping antiques. I highly recommend.

I come short of saying not to buy something you haven't personally seen... but life is a gamble. If the price is right you may not be able to pass it up. but the price needs to be right!

Quote:
Uship.com is a good place to get quotes for something like that. You list what you want shipped and people bid on how much they are willing to do the job for. I've used it to get motorcycles and mopeds shipped to me before but they do all sorts of things.
Mac B is offline   Reply With Quote