"Hitch Hiked" - Don't let it happen to you! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
As to Brian wanting to know which bulldog coupler we are using on the 2008 Oliver Legacy 17s we are currently using Cequent's Class IV Forged Bulldog with the No.4 Tongue Mount, the 2B Style Coupler and the H-High Profile Latch. See pic...
Thanks, Jared.
Bulldog terminology: the tongue mount is the part that actually bolts to the tongue as acts as a mounting base for the coupler (the No. 4 is for rectangular straight tongues), the coupler is the part which engages the ball (2B is the 5000 lb, 2"), and the latch is the part which moves and holds the collar which keeps the coupler closed (H is the lever style).

The latch would apparently be unnecessary if the collar would just stay in place by itself; the collar does the real work of keeping the coupler closed.

This latch is a lot like the lever latch found on more common couplers, and it looks like it accepts the same sort of locking pins... some of their other styles of latch would not.

Quote:
If you are familiar with the Bulldog Couplers, you know that this type of couple will never come off a hitch on its own. My hitch was definitely unlatched by someone!
I have seen many references to the Bulldog forged couplers, but only seen them in person rarely. In one instance, an RV dealer had a row of one particular model (intended for industrial use) with Bulldog forged couplers on them... as normal for an RV dealer's stock on display, not locked and not hitched to any vehicle. I played with a couple of them to see what it was like to run the mechanism; this is harmless, as to tow the trailer someone would need to open the coupler anyway, so it didn't matter in what state I left it.

I wonder if someone was just trying out the coupling on the Legacy and did not get it re-latched properly? I know it seems strange that anyone would do this with someone else's trailer, but my wife has returned to her old British convertible in a parking lot and found someone sitting in it, presumably just to see what it was like! Someone trying the coupler latch might have thought they had it right, or knew it was wrong but were too afraid or embarrassed to leave a note pointing it out... just considering less malicious possibilities...

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Well I pulled a real boner last month on our Alberta and Prairie Egg meet.....probably because my mind was more on my fuel pump, which was whining and due to fail in the near future, when leaving a campground I forgot to latch down the trailer coupler and put in the lynch pin that I use.....after about 20 miles I was thinking that I wasn`t sure if I latched the coupler and checked...sure enough, I didn`t! ....Luckily maybe, I run about 15% tongue weight and the highway wasn`t too bad, so the unit didn`t jump off the ball.....maybe some folks that blame vandalism, or something else, fail to latch their coupler......could happen to anyone I suppose.. ....Benny

Old 09-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath (full of kids!)
Quote:
I heard about that happening. The guy who sold me my trailer threw in a hitch lock, a little lock that goes through the latch that requires a key to lock and unlock. It gives me peace of mind and I always use it. The sell them on www.etrailer.com
mike
Hi Mike,
I like the idea of hitch locks but haven't started using them. Years ago while wrenching for a race team, one of our competitor/ friends didn't show up for the race. He had a small engine fire but couldn't get to his extinguisher. It got worse when he realized that the hitch key was in the burning truck. Everything was locked down. In a few moments, he lost his truck, tools, race car and trailer. I realize the odds of ever having a problem like this are slim but I would suggest keeping your hitch key in your pocket just in case.

Take care,
Nolan
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Hi Mike,
I like the idea of hitch locks but haven't started using them. Years ago while wrenching for a race team, one of our competitor/ friends didn't show up for the race. He had a small engine fire but couldn't get to his extinguisher. It got worse when he realized that the hitch key was in the burning truck. Everything was locked down. In a few moments, he lost his truck, tools, race car and trailer. I realize the odds of ever having a problem like this are slim but I would suggest keeping your hitch key in your pocket just in case.

Take care,
Nolan

Good advice. My solution is my trailer and hitch keys are on detachable portion of my TV keys. Therefore they are either in my pocket or in the ignition of the TV. Also my wife and traveling partner carries a set in her pocket.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
This past summer we almost had one of those catastrophic events. After about three hours drive down the road we decided to stop and fuel up on gas. We pulled out of the station and my husband went in to the convenient store for some drinks for me and the kids. I was tired of sitting and decided to check on the trailer and bikerack on the back of our scamp. Our rack is a fold-down type and requires a pin to keep it upright in the travelling position. That pin had somehow wiggled halfway out of the hole and had only centimeters before it was totally dislodged, dropping the rack and both bikes down to the road at 65mph. Fortunately we were directly across the street from a Walmart where we bought picture hanging wire and duct tape . That rack is no longer a fold-down, we wrapped it up so tight that we'll probably never be able to get that pin loose even if we wanted to.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Well I pulled a real boner last month on our Alberta and Prairie Egg meet.....probably because my mind was more on my fuel pump, which was whining and due to fail in the near future, when leaving a campground I forgot to latch down the trailer coupler and put in the lynch pin that I use.....after about 20 miles I was thinking that I wasn`t sure if I latched the coupler and checked...sure enough, I didn`t! ....Luckily maybe, I run about 15% tongue weight and the highway wasn`t too bad, so the unit didn`t jump off the ball.....maybe some folks that blame vandalism, or something else, fail to latch their coupler......could happen to anyone I suppose.. ....Benny
Done the same thing myself! It's interesting how our subconscious minds note something wrong and give us those little nagging feelings -- I have learned not to ignore them...

BTW, I keep a fire extinguisher in the cab of my truck, anyother just inside the bed canopy and a third right by the door in my Scamp.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Done the same thing myself! It's interesting how our subconscious minds note something wrong and give us those little nagging feelings -- I have learned not to ignore them...
Pete, we call it "Female Intuition," something you care to share with us?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #22

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
RE: "Hitch hiked" The trooper said he'd seen this happen..... "many times"? Whoa!

Soon we'll be leaving for 3-4 weeks on the road. Before reading this thread never gave locking my trailer tongue to the tow any thought at all. In light of the potential for becoming a victim of a truly mean spirited 8-ball, I very much appreciate the heads up.

<blockquote>Bought a pin with a lock on it. My old pin becomes an emergency spare. Bought heavy chain and another lock which wraps up the tongue ball-clamping gizmo so it can't be lifted without a key. </blockquote>
Attached Thumbnails
chain3.jpg   chain1.jpg