hitch receiver max weight - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
hitch receiver max weight

Hey all.

I've got a 16' Scamp (2011) with factory installed receiver hitch.

Recently bought a 32-lb hitch carrier and 28-lb rubbermaid (48-gal) tub to load on the hitch carrier -- 60 pound total.

So, those of you in the know ... what's the maximum weight this scamp/receiver hitch can safely handle. I do NOT plan to put a bunch of heavy stuff in the rubbermaid tub, but I'd like to know what I can plan on storing in there.

Appreciate your input on this.

Sharon

Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Sharon,
I don't know how Scamp attaches their accessory receiver, but when I did mine I tied it into the trailer frame so it will hold way more weight than should be carried back there. I would think Scamp would rate theirs heavy enough to carry reasonable loads. Try to keep the weight back there low so as not to induce trailer imbalance wagging issues.
Russ

Old 07-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Texas
I hear ya Russ. Unless advised otherwise, I intend to keep my storage items to 50-75 pounds tops, well under 200 pounds for the whole ball of wax. --Sharon
Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a bumper box on our Scamp 16. We carry a water hose, a long power cord, 4 wooden blocks for side to side leveling, and a small container of the most used tools. Suspended from the bottom of our bumper box we have two plastic fence posts. One contains a long sewer hose; the other contains plastic poles for our awning.

My bumper box is close to the rear wall of the trailer, actually surrounding the spare tire. I am careful to put too much weight far from the axle.

I've never weighed it all but I suspect the total weight including the bumper box is about 40 lbs. Actually the attached picture is of my son's Scamp 13. My setup is very similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Bumper Box 2.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Texas
Very cool, Norm. I'm taking advantage of the built-in receiver hitch that Scamp put on this trailer. I've purchased a hitch carrier and tote box, and am now seeking to learn the max I can safely load on top of the 60 pounds (already exceeds your 40-pound total) in place before I load stuff in the tote box.

S.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #6

Florida
Sharon,

What are you thinking of putting back there?

We put the things we use most every time we stop to set up. They are things that aren't too heavy, and often a little dirty so are stored external to the inside of the trailer.

There always seems to be plenty of stuff one wants external to the 'inside'trailer. The one's that don't fit on the rear of our trailer like our Volcano grill, and chairs go in our tow vehicle.

On our first trailer, a Sunline 15.5, on our test run trip we put a small generator back there, in our case virtually instant sway. Stopped and moved that genertor immediately and it fixed the problem. Not that this will happen to you, but a little test run is wise.

Wishing you well. Next year is a loop of the USA year, planning to enjoy TX again.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #7

Texas
Next year when you're in Texas, I'm hoping my house will have sold and I'll be somewhere along route 66!!!

My all-terrain (yeah right -- somewhat all terrain is a better description) mobility scooter takes up a substantial amount of room in the back of my Pathfinder, along with the portable ramp for it. It's a scooter that "comes apart" right in the middle, with each half weighing about 45 pounds, so the ramp makes for easy push up/down the ramp of each half separately. I hope my scooter sees lots of trail use when I hit the Rails-to-Trails places during my travels. Many many of these trails are "wheelchair" friendly so a mobility scooter will be a fun ride with picnic stops along the way.

What goes in the tote box will be whatever I can't jam in elsewhere but feel I must take along. Remember Norm, I'll be full-timing in my Scamp and will likely need a few more things than others who camp with a grounded home elsewhere. I also bought a large Rola waterproof bag that the tote box fits inside of beautifully.

I'll be putting a couple of AGM (heavy) batteries in front of the axle and have 2 propane tanks as well. Hopefully I can offset the added weight in the back carrier with this stuff.

S.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #8

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Norm:

Where did you get the tool box?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Very cool, Norm. I'm taking advantage of the built-in receiver hitch that Scamp put on this trailer. I've purchased a hitch carrier and tote box, and am now seeking to learn the max I can safely load on top of the 60 pounds (already exceeds your 40-pound total) in place before I load stuff in the tote box.

S.
Most bumper boxes/receivers on older trailers were added after they left the factory, so capacities vary wildly. Since yours is a factory add-on, I think you'd be best served by asking Scamp directly about capacity.

Frankly, I'm surprised the weight limit isn't in your owner's manual!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #10

Texas
So am I.

S.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #11

Florida
Cyndi B.
I have four places for tool storage.

The little box I keep in the bumper box is a small blue box with a snappable cover. It holds a phillips and flat blade screw driver, a small adjustable wrench, a med vice grips, a utility knife, a roll of electrical tape, a roll of teflon tape plus a few misc items.

These are items I'm most likely to use.

We use a lot of these and similar boxes from the Dollar store.

The picture shows the box sitting on the fence posts below our bumper box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130707_172644.png
Views:	13
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	61551

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
weight