Honda 2000 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
Trailer: 2011 KZ Sportsmen 242SB / 2004 Ram-Cummins 2500 2wd
QUOTE (Weinel, Alan [at] Sep 3 2009, 11:32 AM) Lloyd - how timely... I am looking at the exact issue - Air Conditioner and CPAP.

I use a 'Respironics Remstar+' model 122335. It has two sections that are separable. The air pump runs on 12VDC, and the humidifier on 115VAC. When camping (most of which is dry) I take only the pump section, and power it with a home-made cigar lighter power cord. These are available pre-made, for about $50, but mine cost about $10. As for recharging, I have equipped our trailer with a Xantrex XDC40 40 amp 3-stage converter/charger, instead of the crappy old 5amp single stage charger it came with (
As for powering an A/C with the Honda EU2000, or the Yamaha EF2400iSC, the biggest single factor seems to be the size of start capacitor in the A/C (if it even has one, mine didn't). Go to and look at mod #82. As you can see from my comments there (Lloyd BC), I had severe problems with my A/C, even using a Yamaha EF2800i, but now with a makeshift mod done, the 2400 barely hickups. Now I'm just waiting for the proper part to arrive.
BTW, the 2400 runs my neice's A/C or Micro, no problem, but we're only at 2000', and don't usually camp above 4500'.

Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:59 AM   #16
Trailer: 2000 14 ft Widebody Burro / 1998 Land Rover Discovery
well, I'll be 'durned' if I am going to sit in a fiberglass trailer and bake like a thanksgiving turkey...

As for AC units, installing a unit takes some serious consideration. the smallest roof unit I can find is the Coleman Polar Cub:

Besides that, I guess the solution would be a window unit like the Fridgidaire

Wow.. maybe if I install one of these units in a window, I can rename my Burro 'The Grape of Wrath'....

Mac B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #17
Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
As mentioned in more than one response it is important to understand the start-up and running load of each appliance you expect to use and add together those you expect to run at the same time. A note of caution...if you run your generator at near maximum for lengthy periods it will have a shorter life span. Most of the high end generators are rated for around 3000 hours at normal loads with Yamaha supposedly being better because components of the engine are made of iron instead of aluminum. Better to purchase slightly more than what you need. I ended up with the Yamaha 3600 because we sometimes run the A/C, watch TV with a DVD player and run the hot water tank and fridge at the same time.

Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote