Honda eu2000 to run Mach 8 in Oliver II - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

Name: Kelley
Trailer: Wilderness
Ohio
Honda eu2000 to run Mach 8 in Oliver II

Has anyone tried starting the Coleman Mach 8 13500 btu unit in an Oliver yet.
We are planning on going full time and would rather not buy a 3000 watt generator if possible. We are planning on running the ac only with generator and having solar for our other needs.
Thanks for any advice
Masterstilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
On another (mini-motorhome) site I have been on for years, that combination (Honda 2000EU and any 13,500 BTU a/c) is usually reported as seldom working past first start.
There MAY be a low start capacitor kit available for the a/c unit, but don't count on that doing the trick. Several that went ahead and tried wound up buying a 2nd EU2000 and a parallel power kit to run 13,500 BTU a/c's. Others swapped out their a/c's for 9000 BTU units with better success.
I'm guessing you know about "Locked Rotor Current" at restart, that's the killer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I have two 2000 Honda's. I would either go with the 3000 or two 2000 with the parallel kit. This has been discussed to death and the problem isn't running the unit it's starting. As my wife always say's; Just do it right the first time regardless of the cost because if you shortcut; it will end up costing more in the long run.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
A general rule of thumb for sizing a generator is to take your largest load at 200% and the remaining loads at 100% ,and add them together . A 13,500 btu A /C draws about 1300 watts. So 1300 watts x 200% = 2600 watts . A 3000 watt generator will enable you to start an inductive load such as an A/C without dropping the voltage to stall level and handle the high starting current
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #5

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
I have two 2000 Honda's. I would either go with the 3000 or two 2000 with the parallel kit. This has been discussed to death and the problem isn't running the unit it's starting. As my wife always say's; Just do it right the first time regardless of the cost because if you shortcut; it will end up costing more in the long run.
Good point: 'Buy once, cry once'.

I am debating a similar issue with my new Escape, which has the 11,000 BTU air conditioner. I have had a couple of folks recommend the 2,400 watt Yamaha portable. I also like the option of the two linked Honda 2,000 watt portable units.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #6

Ohio
So far it's it sounds as I expected. I just really didn't want to get such a big generator. The cost didn't really matter a lot but size does.

Thanks for all your info and advice I really appreciate it.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterstilll View Post
So far it's it sounds as I expected. I just really didn't want to get such a big generator. The cost didn't really matter a lot but size does.

Thanks for all your info and advice I really appreciate it.
We carry a Yamaha 3000 on the tongue of our Elite II.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #8

Ohio
I will definitely be calling soon Steve just wanted to have all my ducks in a row. Don't want to waste your time.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #9

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
The reason I like the two 2000 with a parrel kit is their easier to manage. Easier to lift one at a time and I don't have to struggle with a larger 3000 or bigger. I also found that if not running the air while camping I only have to start one and can alternate between the two since they are linked with the parrell kit. I also use them at home around the house outside doing jobs where power isn't close.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #10

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
The reason I like the two 2000 with a parrel kit is their easier to manage. Easier to lift one at a time and I don't have to struggle with a larger 3000 or bigger. I also found that if not running the air while camping I only have to start one and can alternate between the two since they are linked with the parrell kit. I also use them at home around the house outside doing jobs where power isn't close.
The two units provide a little more flexibility for different needs. I don't know what the cost difference is between the two 2,000 watt units and one 3,000 watt unit, but it might make sense...
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #11

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
I have two 2000 's and only carryon one firing the winter a both during the, Summer months
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #12

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
This Yamaha is supposedly built for the 13500 btu AC unit:

Yamaha EF2400ISHC EF2400iSHC - 2000 Watt Inverter Generator
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I did my research and decided to go with a Champion 3100 watt inverter-generator. Sound level compares to Honda and Yamaha at a much lower cost.
Great warranty, good owner reports, comes with wheels and folding handle. It has a 30 AMP RV ready plug and two 20 AMP plugs so no need for adaptor.
Will run my 13,500 BTU A/C no problem. Great instructions and Quick Start Guide. Good service with "800" number to call if any problems. Compact and comes with tools, battery charging cable and cost way less than any Honda or Yamaha....Happy Camper.
Mine cost $749.00 at Cabelas where several employees have them and they think they are tops!
Note: unit is not shipped with motor oil so a trip to Walmart or the auto store is required to get oil and a gas container for your fuel. Excellent run time in economy mode when you are not using A/C.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:48 AM   #14

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Be wary of those sound claims on the Champion. It'll be MUCH louder than a honda or yamaha.

I've run a 13500 btu air conditioner on my yamaha 2000 just fine. The newer AC units all have soft starts now. It's the older ones that are a problem. But forget about running in the quiet "eco" mode. That small a generator will ramp up and stay at high rpm while the AC is blowing.

For my new trailer, I had purchased a honda 3000 that I'm just going to leave in the bed of my pickup. It will run everything at once including AC and microwave. Securing it is not an issue, and I have a bed cover to keep it out of the weather. Just easier to deal with if you are not having to move it around.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver